300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain and the Cross In The Sand

Yep, I'll vote for him. A distinguished war hero. Or, will I???

-------------------------------------------------------------

John McCain and the Cross In the Sand

Sunday, August 17, 2008
    Did John McCain "Borrow" His "Cross In The Sand" Story?

http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot...-cross-in.html

I report, you decide. Transcript from the forum last night here.

It just sounded so fake and so contrived, so I did a little research about it. Someone on here said it sounded like a scene from Ben-Hur, so I did a google search about Ben-Hur and cross in the sand and such. No dice. But I searched around a little bit more and here is what I found. A story about Alexander Solzhenitsyn from his times in the Soviet Gulags.

(snip)

As he waited, head down, he felt a presence. Slowly he looked up and saw a skinny old prisoner squat down beside him. The man said nothing. Instead, he used a stick to trace in the dirt the sign of the Cross. The man then got back up and returned to his work.

As Solzhenitsyn stared at the Cross drawn in the dirt his entire perspective changed. He knew he was only one man against the all-powerful Soviet empire. Yet he knew there was something greater than the evil he saw in the prison camp, something greater than the Soviet Union. He knew that hope for all people was represented by that simple Cross. Through the power of the Cross, anything was possible.

Excerpted from "The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, three volumes published 1973–1978.

I don't care for McCains politics, he's the least of my choice for the republican party nomination, except for Huckaphony, but I'm not going to disregard the suffering he did in a prisoner. Tortured and mistreated for five years, I'm sure he has a thousand stories to tell if he chose to. Im sure thousands of crosses were scribbled in dirt floors of thousands of cells by POWs or civilian victims in many different wars. One thing about it, he don't have to make no war stories up, unlike Kerry, who faked his 'combat' experience and was out of there in three months.
    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Not only that Tony, but the books were published after McCain returned. It wouldn't be shocking if McCain related this story somewhere in the media and Solzhenitsyn integrated a version of it into his story.

Comment

I was out with a group of my wife's co-workers and my inlaws. Her father is a Vietnam vet (medivac pilot) and was shot down twice. One of the coworkers starts talking about Obama (he's a supporter) and how he's better than McCain and how the last 8 yrs have sucked, blah blah blah (he's done quite well by the way) and as a dig against a conservative "friend" at the table he attempts to explain how Kerry "fought" a war and McCain did'nt fight but was a captive, therefore he does not know how to fight a war but only how to be a prisoner (read, fail).

My first thought was, what an as*&^(le. How dare someone who's idea of a fight was trying to decide between a Bud or a blunt in college say anything about anyone's service? The best description I could think of his statement was thoughtless, disrespectful and ignorant. I don't know if my father in law heard him but he later apoligized to my wife, in case he did hear, and explained it was a joke against the conservative co-worker. I almost feel bad for not hitting him. I don't care what your politics are, making light of an individuals service or experiance as a POW is simply revolting. Is he indicative of democrats or more specifically Obama supporters?

If so my own political views have been solidified...

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
          Not only that Tony, but the books were published after McCain returned. It wouldn't be shocking if McCain related this story somewhere in the media and Solzhenitsyn integrated a version of it into his story.
          Alexander Solzhenitsyn wrote The Gulag Archipelago between 1958 and 1968.

Comment

You're not serious, are you?

Comment

Originally Posted by velobard View Post
              Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
              Alexander Solzhenitsyn wrote The Gulag Archipelago between 1958 and 1968.
              Correct. Here's a snippet from Wikipedia;

'...For years after World War II, a significant minority[vague] of the inmates were Ukrainians, Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians from lands newly incorporated into the Soviet Union, as well as Finns, Poles, Romanians and others. POWs, in contrast, were kept in a separate camp system (see POW labor in the Soviet Union), which was managed by GUPVI, a separate main administration with the NKVD/MVD.

Yet the major reason for the post-war increase in the number of prisoners was the tightening of legislation on property offences in summer 1947 (at this time there was a famine in some parts of the Soviet Union, claiming about 1 million lives), which resulted in hundreds of thousands of convictions to lengthy prison terms, sometimes on the basis of cases of petty theft or embezzlement. At the beginning of 1953 the total number of prisoners in prison camps was more than 2.4 million of which more than 465 thousand were political prisoners.[22]

The state continued to maintain the extensive camp system for a while after Stalin's death in March 1953, although the period saw the grip of the camp authorities weaken and a number of conflicts and uprisings occur (see Bitch Wars; Kengir uprising).

The amnesty in March 1953 was limited to non-political prisoners and for political prisoners sentenced to not more than 5 years, therefore mostly those convicted for common crimes were then freed. The release of political prisoners started in 1954 and became widespread, and also coupled with mass rehabilitations, after Nikita Khrushchev's denunciation of Stalinism in his Secret Speech at the 20th Congress of the CPSU in February 1956.

By the end of the 1950s, virtually all "corrective labor camps" were dissolved. Colonies, however, continued to exist. Officially the GULAG was liquidated by the MVD order 20 of January 25, 1960.

Altogether, according to some recent estimates on the basis of archival documents, between 28 and 50 million people had been prisoners in camps and colonies throughout the period of Stalinism at one point or another.'

Comment

Maybe the guard had read The Gulag Archipelago. Scratching in the soil is a form of silent communication that's gone on for thousands of years. The cross on Christmas isn't such a surprise, and where Christianity is forbidden, Chritians tend to get secretive if they can. One such instance doesn't have to be derivative of another.
                Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-19-2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Since we are all guessing how he came up with the reference,,,,my guess would be he read it either AFTER he returned and was able to relate it to his experiences or he read it at the Academy and reflected on it while a captive.

Either way, it doesn't matter. This is getting more air time than the fact McCain did so much better than Obama. Obama's group is trying to say McCain cheated because he had access to the questions, but, failed to mention the first two questions were provided to each candidate and a third was supposed to be given to each one, but McCain was late so ONLY OBAMA had access to the third question. Each candidate was also given a general outline as to what would be asked.
                  A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                    Nope, just ignorant.

I was going by the publishing dates listed in the first post.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
                      Nope, just ignorant.

I was going by the publishing dates listed in the first post.
                      No sweat. I've been there, done that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5913 users online. 346 members and 5567 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X