X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• velobard
    replied
    Originally posted by Rifleguy View Post
    Its odd that today people are spending time and money to get CCW permits when its free to open carry.
    Open carry is prohibited in many areas, plus there are a number of circumstances where it's probably not the best option. I understand people have the right to open carry and I fully support that. It is unfortunate that people have to lay out so much money for something like this; permit fees, training fees, DMV fees for a new ID, because there are a number of people who deserve the right to protect themselves but they simply can't afford it, even if they can find legal access to a gun.

Leave a comment:

• Rifleguy
    replied
    Its odd that today people are spending time and money to get CCW permits when its free to open carry. Armed is armed. Its not going to stop criminals or increase criminals' use of weapons. Criminals carry regardless so whats the point other than urbanites' ignorance of firearms?

Maybe Vermont is on to something with the no cost/no permit CCW.

Leave a comment:

• TheKansan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kpdpipes View Post
    So are you saying that anyone who isnt a cop that possesses a firearm is a criminal???????

Guess i was a criminal 21 years ago since i owned handguns before I was a cop. Guess my Dad was a criminal since He Always owned guns but never took the Job..along with most of my family members. Sorry but that doesnt wash. Go to places where Open Carry IS common, such as Az, NM, and parts of Pa, and no one bat's an eye..it's only where the Sheeple roam that people equate Guns with Criminals automatically.
    Yes that is exactly what I am saying

I don't live in rural america, I live in a city of 2 million people. If you walk around carrying a gun here, there are really only two possibilities, you are the police/security, or you are a criminal. If you see someone not in uniform walking around with a gun exposed here, they are most likely a criminal. Everyone bats an eye if they see a gun on a person not in uniform, and with good reason, this city is known for gang/drug activity and a high homicide rate.

Of course out in the middle of nowhere where you live, open carry doesn't scare anyone.
    Last edited by TheKansan; 08-13-2008, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kpdpipes
    replied
    Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    It wasn't the media who taught us that, it was the criminals.
    So are you saying that anyone who isnt a cop that possesses a firearm is a criminal???????

Guess i was a criminal 21 years ago since i owned handguns before I was a cop. Guess my Dad was a criminal since He Always owned guns but never took the Job..along with most of my family members. Sorry but that doesnt wash. Go to places where Open Carry IS common, such as Az, NM, and parts of Pa, and no one bat's an eye..it's only where the Sheeple roam that people equate Guns with Criminals automatically.

Leave a comment:

• NORCOCOP
    replied
    I am stealing your avatar MDS, I hope you won't mind too much.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    No, OC gets a bad rap because we've become a nation of sheep that have been conditioned by the media to associate anyone with a firearm as a criminal.
    Bans on carrying firearms in urban areas go back to the 19th century. I don't think you can attribute those to the media.

Texas bans open carry. I don't think that Texans believe that anyone carrying a gun is a criminal. They are quite willing to allow concealed carry. I am sure that most Texans (both criminals and non-criminals) own guns.

Leave a comment:

• TheKansan
    replied
    No, OC gets a bad rap because we've become a nation of sheep that have been conditioned by the media to associate anyone with a firearm as a criminal.
    It wasn't the media who taught us that, it was the criminals.

Leave a comment:

• Kpdpipes
    replied
    Originally posted by nuthead View Post
    I think open carry gets a bad reaction from the public is because, sometimes, there are people who wear a gun legally but are LE posers. That tends to get under people's skin.

Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• velobard
    replied
    Originally posted by cmr164 View Post
    In that western town mentioned above a guy carrying a Conan-the-Barbarian type broadsword would also be viewed as worrisome and might very well be interviewed by LE.
    I'm picturing the scene in the first Indy movie where he's getting chased through the market and finds himself facing the huge guy brandishing the sword, then decides to just shoot him.

Leave a comment:

• TheKansan
    replied
    I have personally met and talked with supporters of open carry. I myself strongly support second amendment rights and believe in concealed carry for personal protection, but living in the inner city my whole life, I don't want to see my city looking like a war zone with visibly armed thugs carrying AK47's strapped over their backs. This isn't some third world country ran by militias, we don't need that crap here.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Originally posted by nuthead View Post
    I think open carry gets a bad reaction from the public is because, sometimes, there are people who wear a gun legally but are LE posers. That tends to get under people's skin.

Just my 2 cents.
    While that may be true, I also think that some other people, e.g., someone who looks like a grungy, stinky homeless type or disheveled mental patient, would be scary carrying a gun.

The mere fact that the weapon is visible may convey (to some people) the impression that that person carrying it is eager to use it.

Leave a comment:

• nuthead
    replied

Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• tony.o
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    Did you post that here because you associate her with OC?
    No, No. I wanted to know when. I thought this would be a good place to ask since no one would be interested in rehashing the open carry thing.

Leave a comment:

• MDS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post
    I thought this thread was about Oleoresin Capsicum....

.... in which case I was going to say, "uh, because it burns?"

lol so did I.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Originally posted by tony.o View Post
    Anybody know when JMTX is coming back? I miss her.
    Did you post that here because you associate her with OC?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5557 users online. 317 members and 5240 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X