300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why OC gets a bad reaction.

This really should be pertinent to LE but seeing how these threads tend to go, "various topics" seems a better starting place.

Here is my hypothesis as to why OC often gets a bad reaction from the public and from LEOs.

First we can state that there are locations where OC is part of a normal work and accepted as such. A western town is likely to not think twice about someone dressed for outdoor work who has an open carry.

It is when OC is unusual that forks get worried and scared. In a town or city where OC is unheard of then someone walking around with a gun strapped on is a very unusual and eccentric person. The population and the LEOs have every reason to be concerned that someone who is by definition not normal is walking around with a lethal weapon. In that western town mentioned above a guy carrying a Conan-the-Barbarian type broadsword would also be viewed as worrisome and might very well be interviewed by LE.

The real issue is blending in. If the OC person blends in or is otherwise accepted as normal (eg has a badge next to the holster) then the population does not feel threatened but if the person stands out as being odd and unusual then the presence of the lethal weapon gives them cause for alarm.

Now, this is just my thoughts and hypothesis. I am completely open to elaborations or opposing thoughts.

I would agree: Local expectations are what matter. If you were hunting, even in a state with very strict gun laws, you would not find seeing someone carrying a holstered handgun disturbing.

The open carry folks call their sorties into urban restaurants educational -- claiming they will increase acceptance of open carry. I think that just the opposite is true 00 states that allow open carry are likely to enact laws limiting it, especially if no permit is required for open carry.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought this thread was about Oleoresin Capsicum....

.... in which case I was going to say, "uh, because it burns?"

1*

Comment

Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post

Capsicum is very good for you.

Comment

Thats what I thought too.
          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Anybody know when JMTX is coming back? I miss her.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
              Today (the 11th), I believe.
              “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                Today (the 11th), I believe.
                Yes she said today the 11th

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
                  Did you post that here because you associate her with OC?

Comment

lol so did I.
                    For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
                    Faith issues
                    Challenging hardcore atheism
                    Reasonable Faith

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                      Did you post that here because you associate her with OC?
                      No, No. I wanted to know when. I thought this would be a good place to ask since no one would be interested in rehashing the open carry thing.

Comment

I think open carry gets a bad reaction from the public is because, sometimes, there are people who wear a gun legally but are LE posers. That tends to get under people's skin.

Just my 2 cents.
                        “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                          I think open carry gets a bad reaction from the public is because, sometimes, there are people who wear a gun legally but are LE posers. That tends to get under people's skin.

Just my 2 cents.
                          While that may be true, I also think that some other people, e.g., someone who looks like a grungy, stinky homeless type or disheveled mental patient, would be scary carrying a gun.

The mere fact that the weapon is visible may convey (to some people) the impression that that person carrying it is eager to use it.

Comment

I have personally met and talked with supporters of open carry. I myself strongly support second amendment rights and believe in concealed carry for personal protection, but living in the inner city my whole life, I don't want to see my city looking like a war zone with visibly armed thugs carrying AK47's strapped over their backs. This isn't some third world country ran by militias, we don't need that crap here.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by cmr164 View Post
                              In that western town mentioned above a guy carrying a Conan-the-Barbarian type broadsword would also be viewed as worrisome and might very well be interviewed by LE.
                              I'm picturing the scene in the first Indy movie where he's getting chased through the market and finds himself facing the huge guy brandishing the sword, then decides to just shoot him.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4572 users online. 251 members and 4321 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X