300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nassau county PD Confiscated my gun.

Hey guys, I just want some advice and I should’ve asked a long time ago but I’ve been off the site.

long story short. I own, well owned a shotgun in Nassau County NY.
    My EX wife began verbally and physically assault me over something extremely dumb. When she realized I wasn’t caving in she the police and lied saying I pointed my gun to her head. I counted about 15 officers showing up. I did the right thing as far as all lights on, hands visible etc.

as they investigated she confessed that she lied and she physically assaulted me. The officers saw the bruise on my head and after everything concluded that I was the victim and almost got me to press charges against her. I didn’t cuz the kids were sleeping and I’m not that type of guy.

Now they confiscated my shotgun because of this. I called the precinct and they said despite me being the victim, I must still undergo a psych evaluation to get my gun back, fill out paperwork, good guy letters and so on.

Im not mad at all and the officers were extremely professional and once they realized that I never touched my gun, which was locked upstairs, they were professional with me.

is this true that I must undo an eval and also, will this hurt any chances of me pursuing a Leo career

thanks
    Last edited by Dunee88; 09-05-2019, 07:43 PM. Reason: Edit: my ex wife!

Originally posted by Dunee88 View Post
    Hey guys, I just want some advice and I should’ve asked a long time ago but I’ve been off the site.

long story short. I own, well owned a shotgun in Nassau County NY.
    My EX wife began verbally and physically assault me over something extremely dumb. When she realized I wasn’t caving in she the police and lied saying I pointed my gun to her head. I counted about 15 officers showing up. I did the right thing as far as all lights on, hands visible etc.

as they investigated she confessed that she lied and she physically assaulted me. The officers saw the bruise on my head and after everything concluded that I was the victim and almost got me to press charges against her. I didn’t cuz the kids were sleeping and I’m not that type of guy.

Now they confiscated my shotgun because of this. I called the precinct and they said despite me being the victim, I must still undergo a psych evaluation to get my gun back, fill out paperwork, good guy letters and so on.

Im not mad at all and the officers were extremely professional and once they realized that I never touched my gun, which was locked upstairs, they were professional with me.

is this true that I must undo an eval and also, will this hurt any chances of me pursuing a Leo career

thanks
    Saved for any possible BI in the future.

Comment

Welcome to 2019, Comrade.
      The Police Are here to HELP you.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Saved for any possible BI in the future.
        Thanks for the input. Very insightful

Comment

Personally, I prefer to get legal advice from licensed attorneys, not an internet forum. Just off the top of my head I see it as seizure of property with no probable cause. The officers involved will probably argue that their department policies direct them to secure firearms in such situations as a means of protecting the public from possible harm.

If your shotgun is a $5000 custom-made trap or skeet gun it might be worth retaining an attorney to help you. If it is a $200 Mossberg you'll probably be a few bucks ahead by foregoing either the attorney's retainer or a pshrink's fees for a psych eval. I sorta suspect that the local authorities rely on this as a means for getting firearms out of questionable hands, and will probably continue doing so until someone succeeds in a civil rights claim over property rights, due process, etc, which will depend on judges who follow the rule of law rather than activist social policies.

If you do nothing there will always be a public record of a domestic violence incident including your name and the fact that the cops took custody of a shotgun from your home as a public safety safeguard. That record will very likely come up in a background investigation for employment in any position of public trust, along with indications that you are married to a violent nutcase.

Comment

Red Flag laws are a bitch, huh..?

Comment

If you want to work in LE I would get away from that woman ASAP. If she gets you convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence you can kiss any LE job goodbye as you will not be able to legally possess a firearm under the Lautenberg amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiitexas View Post
                If you want to work in LE I would get away from that woman ASAP. If she gets you convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence you can kiss any LE job goodbye as you will not be able to legally possess a firearm under the Lautenberg amendment.
                Agreed. Time to file for a restraining order (or domestic violence protection order, or whatever it might be called in your state), get the lawyers working on a divorce decree and property settlement, then take about 2 years off from women before you hook up with another one. Repeating my earlier comment: GET YOUR LEGAL ADVICE FROM A LICENSED ATTORNEY IN YOUR STATE, NOT FROM AN INTERNET FORUM.

Comment

Of course...this is HIS side of the story...

Comment

• Dunee88
                    Dunee88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol yes. If the genders were switched would you try to discredit the victim? The investigation was complete and I was not the aggressor.

I even had a heart to heart with the police officer like if I were the one who was the abuser, I would be in the back of your car before you even got my name.
                    He agreed.

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
                  Personally, I prefer to get legal advice from licensed attorneys, not an internet forum. Just off the top of my head I see it as seizure of property with no probable cause. The officers involved will probably argue that their department policies direct them to secure firearms in such situations as a means of protecting the public from possible harm.

If your shotgun is a $5000 custom-made trap or skeet gun it might be worth retaining an attorney to help you. If it is a $200 Mossberg you'll probably be a few bucks ahead by foregoing either the attorney's retainer or a pshrink's fees for a psych eval. I sorta suspect that the local authorities rely on this as a means for getting firearms out of questionable hands, and will probably continue doing so until someone succeeds in a civil rights claim over property rights, due process, etc, which will depend on judges who follow the rule of law rather than activist social policies.

If you do nothing there will always be a public record of a domestic violence incident including your name and the fact that the cops took custody of a shotgun from your home as a public safety safeguard. That record will very likely come up in a background investigation for employment in any position of public trust, along with indications that you are married to a violent nutcase.
                  Understood

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post

Agreed. Time to file for a restraining order (or domestic violence protection order, or whatever it might be called in your state), get the lawyers working on a divorce decree and property settlement, then take about 2 years off from women before you hook up with another one. Repeating my earlier comment: GET YOUR LEGAL ADVICE FROM A LICENSED ATTORNEY IN YOUR STATE, NOT FROM AN INTERNET FORUM.
                    Yeh divorced already.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8186 users online. 394 members and 7792 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X