Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OJ Verdict- 10 Years Later- where were you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AMG
    . If it does then you really didnt like blacks to begin with and that was an escape goat to make yourself feel good about what was already in your heart.
    I believe the word is " scapegoat".

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

I don't remember where I was when the OJ verdict was announced. I don't care to remember, either.
      If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP
        ..... Yet you can't understand how the verdict changed white people forever.
        Which white people are we talking about, the one's with pointy hats and burning crosses? I think AMG has a point and so would you if you belonged to a group of people who had been victimised by a system for centuries.

Imagine being systematically raped by your neighbour, day in day out, for years. Then, one day, he calls up and says he wants to let bygones be bygones, and asks you out for a beer.

Is it that easy for you to just let it go and be his pal? Ain't ya gonna want some payback? And how much payback is enough, considering the crimes against you that have been committed by this goon?

In that context I can see why black people, particularly in a country as riven with racism as the US of A, would want a black guy, guilty or not, to get off. Let's face it, there have been plenty of black people lynched in America over the years for the crime of being black and nothing else.

Do I agree with AMG regarding his approval of OJ's aquittal? Certianly not. Justice was poorly served on that day. But I do understand.

Comment

Originally posted by banastretarlton
          Which white people are we talking about, the one's with pointy hats and burning crosses? I think AMG has a point and so would you if you belonged to a group of people who had been victimised by a system for centuries.

Imagine being systematically raped by your neighbour, day in day out, for years. Then, one day, he calls up and says he wants to let bygones be bygones, and asks you out for a beer.

Is it that easy for you to just let it go and be his pal? Ain't ya gonna want some payback? And how much payback is enough, considering the crimes against you that have been committed by this goon?

In that context I can see why black people, particularly in a country as riven with racism as the US of A, would want a black guy, guilty or not, to get off. Let's face it, there have been plenty of black people lynched in America over the years for the crime of being black and nothing else.

Do I agree with AMG regarding his approval of OJ's aquittal? Certianly not. Justice was poorly served on that day. But I do understand.
          So because it changed me forever I have a pointy hat and burn crosses? I don't think so. It changed me in the sense that I had no clue just as to how racially divided we were in 1996 until I saw the reaction.

And you can spare me the history lesson. Just how many blacks do you know how have been "systematically raped by their neighbor"? I know my history pretty well and can tell you that most blacks who rejoiced at the verdict were never the victims of a lynching. Moreover, our country( mostly powerful whites) has made tremendous strides in attempting to ameliorate our racist society and give equality for all. In fact, many would say it's gone too far and the Supreme Court even agrees by limitng affirmative action in recent decesions.

Therefore, my simplistic argument is GET OVER IT !!!

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

I was in middle school. They interrupted class to show it on the TV network in the school. I was upset then, and am upset now.
            -Mike
            The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by AMG
              Those of you who continue to make statements like "it changed my view after that" or "I look at them differently now" you need to be honest with who you are as a person. Just because O.J. was not found guilty did not make me feel any different about white people. If it does then you really didnt like blacks to begin with and that was an escape goat to make yourself feel good about what was already in your heart.
              I don't understand your logic, AMG:

I'm 100% color blind and I'm annoyed by ANYONE who identifies with his own skin color. I don't feel different about black people because OJ was acquitted; I feel differently only in that their REACTION made me realize that black people (about 75% of them, anyway) are just as racist as white people.

You can claim to oppose racism on principle OR you can have "pride" in your skin color and "loyalty" toward those who share it. You just can't do BOTH without being a hypocrite. The OJ verdict did not "change" or make me realize anything about any black person who is not himself a racist.
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                I agree with you here. In fact the DA actually moved this case to a jurisdiction that had considerably higher percentage of minorities. I guess the DA was naive enough to believe that no jury anywhere would ignore the overwhelming mountain of evidence.

That's exactly what I got from reading her book. And Christopher Darden's book. They could not fathom all of the evidence just plainly being ignored - which it was.
                For every one hundred men you send us,
                Ten should not even be here.
                Eighty are nothing but targets.
                Nine of them are real fighters;
                We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                And he will bring the others back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP
                  So because it changed me forever I have a pointy hat and burn crosses? I don't think so. It changed me in the sense that I had no clue just as to how racially divided we were in 1996 until I saw the reaction.

And you can spare me the history lesson. Just how many blacks do you know how have been "systematically raped by their neighbor"? I know my history pretty well and can tell you that most blacks who rejoiced at the verdict were never the victims of a lynching. Moreover, our country( mostly powerful whites) has made tremendous strides in attempting to ameliorate our racist society and give equality for all. In fact, many would say it's gone too far and the Supreme Court even agrees by limitng affirmative action in recent decesions.

Therefore, my simplistic argument is GET OVER IT !!!
                  I agree completely. Very astute comment.

Comment

Originally posted by justice12
                    He could confess to the murder right now on national TV. And there's nothing anything could do about it. He can never be put away for the murder.
                    Couldn't he be tried in federal court for the same crime? Isn't that what happened to the cops charged with beating Rodney King?

Comment

• IIRC, they were charged with a civil rights violation - presumably the same could be done but I'm not to up on the applicable law.

Comment

• Biggest difference between the two situations is that LE is an exercise of state action. I don't think 1983 (if that's what you're talking about) applies to non-state action where the crime isn't motivated by race.
                        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

• Sitting in the barracks at FT Campbell KY. Probably thinking how I was going to try to tear up some Austin Peay females that weekend.

Comment

• Trying to eat lunch at a Subway....didn't finish my meal.
                            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

• A bit off topic but I wonder how OJ's quest to find the real killers is coming along. My guess is he hasn't bought a mirror since the short bus jury found him not guilty.
                              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

• Sitting in 7th grade social studies class...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5734 users online. 351 members and 5383 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X