Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OJ Verdict- 10 Years Later- where were you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember being in high school and watching it on tv..... I was a junior then
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Welpe
      I belong to the Whig party.

mmmmmm, 6th grade.........

so that's where it all began........

www.schackdaddy.com
      Are you stalking me ftlaudcop?
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Well said Pro Writer. The Frontline show I referenced was chock full of people lecturing whites on how they were wrong to to find fault with the verdict celebrators.

OJ was "whiter" than I was when it came to wealth and privledge. Too many in the black community treated this case as if it was nothing more than a black vs. white scrimmage game instead of a double murder trial. Can you imagine if the races were reversed?

There would be rioting for weeks if an acquittal of a white ex- NFL player accused of slitting the throats of his black ex- wife and her friend resulted in celebration by white crowds.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I remember the media treated the words of Mark Ferhman as a worse 'crime' than OJs' murderous actions. Frontline does have some pretty good programs, you just have to overlook the heavy liberal slant, and they've never met a communist that they didn't like (such as Castro-another murderer, he has 'healthcare' for everyone). I remember they did a program on Pablo Escobar, which was pretty good, but at the end, I think they were upset that the Police had posed for pictures with his body on the roof top, even though Pablo was a monster responsible for thousands of deaths including terrorist bombings and even the downing of a jetliner.
          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I was 7 years old and the only thing I remember was my parents getting ****ed off about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
              Well said Pro Writer. The Frontline show I referenced was chock full of people lecturing whites on how they were wrong to to find fault with the verdict celebrators.

OJ was "whiter" than I was when it came to wealth and privledge. Too many in the black community treated this case as if it was nothing more than a black vs. white scrimmage game instead of a double murder trial. Can you imagine if the races were reversed?

There would be rioting for weeks if an acquittal of a white ex- NFL player accused of slitting the throats of his black ex- wife and her friend resulted in celebration by white crowds.

Bull ****! I'm sick of people making the OJ trial a black and white issue. Race had nothing to do with it. OJ got off because he was filthy rich. Like Chris Rock said, had OJ been Orenthal J Simpson the bus driver, he'd be wearing a prison jump suit.

OJ got off because he happened to be rich and famous, not because he was black. You asked If one can imagine if the race roles were reversed what would happen? Many people on this board may never know, however there was a time when blacks were faced with that decision everyday. Let's not forget that some states still allowed lynching of blacks well into the late sixties.

Comment

Originally posted by IloveAmerica
                Bull ****! I'm sick of people making the OJ trial a black and white issue. Race had nothing to do with it. OJ got off because he was filthy rich. Like Chris Rock said, had OJ been Orenthal J Simpson the bus driver, he'd be wearing a prison jump suit.

OJ got off because he happened to be rich and famous, not because he was black. You asked If one can imagine if the race roles were reversed what would happen? Many people on this board may never know, however there was a time when blacks were faced with that decision everyday. Let's not forget that some states still allowed lynching of blacks well into the late sixties.
                Pssst...Nobody on this thread is even suggesting that he got off because of his race. The issue of discussion here is how so many black people REACTED to his acquittal. If THAT wasn't about race, then why do YOU think so many blacks rejoiced over the verdict?
                Last edited by ProWriter; 10-10-2005, 04:07 PM.
                No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
                  Pssst...Nobody on this thread is even suggesting that he got off because of his race. The issue of discussion here is how so many black people REACTED to his acquittal. If THAT wasn't about race, then why do YOU think so many blacks rejoiced over the verdict?

So many blacks? So, the actions of a few ignorant blacks speak for the majority of blacks? OJ is a vile criminal who happened to get away with murder due to his vast wealth.

For the likes of me, I can't see why any self respecting African American would rejoice over OJ's acquittal. Justice was not served. It was a brutal reminder of how broken our justice system is.

Comment

Amazing how well I remember that day. I was in High School in Spanish class and I remember it stunk horribly because they were putting a roof on the school and we were all getting sick from the tar smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
                      2nd grade...ok, now I feel prehistoric, thank you very much.
                      Yeah I was thinking close to the same thing....I thought it was bad enough I was in HS when it happened.

Comment

So many blacks? So, the actions of a few ignorant blacks speak for the majority of blacks? OJ is a vile criminal who happened to get away with murder due to his vast wealth. For the likes of me, I can't see why any self respecting African American would rejoice over OJ's acquittal. Justice was not served. It was a brutal reminder of how broken our justice system is.
                        Are you saying that you think a majority of black people in American society thought that the verdict was unjust and considered him guilty of the crime, in fact? Roughly how many times have you heard, overheard, witnessed, or participated in a conversation on the issue with anybody black?

I thought I already made it pretty clear earlier in this thread that I never would have expected that to be the case, but since the trial, I'd heard, overheard, witnessed, and/or participated in a conversation on it many dozens of times. In addition, it permeated the media in that a solid majority of black public figures or "celebreties" absolutely could not publicly acknowledge a private belief that OJ was guilty of the murder, in fact. There was no shortage of published public polls, which all suggested that a very strong majority of blacks supported the verdict and/or expressed the view that OJ was an innocent man either "framed" by LAPD or otherwise "persecuted" and falsely accused.

What part do you disagree with, and on what basis?
                        No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Are you saying that you think a majority of black people in American society thought that the verdict was unjust and considered him guilty of the crime, in fact? Roughly how many times have you heard, overheard, witnessed, or participated in a conversation on the issue with anybody black?

I thought I already made it pretty clear earlier in this thread that I never would have expected that to be the case, but since the trial, I'd heard, overheard, witnessed, and/or participated in a conversation on it many dozens of times. In addition, it permeated the media in that a solid majority of black public figures or "celebreties" absolutely could not publicly acknowledge a private belief that OJ was guilty of the murder, in fact. There was no shortage of published public polls, which all suggested that a very strong majority of blacks supported the verdict and/or expressed the view that OJ was an innocent man either "framed" by LAPD or otherwise "persecuted" and falsely accused.

What part do you disagree with, and on what basis?
                          So you're an omnipresent being that is privy to such information? How presumptious of you. The answer to your question is no. The blacks I know, and have overheard do not take pride in OJ's acquittal.

As a matter of fact, most blacks I knew were too shocked at the acquittal to display any emotion. While we're on the topic, not all blacks are athletic, gang members, avid gangsta rap listeners, or support OJ Simpson. However the stereotype of really big penises is well [email protected]

Comment

So you're an omnipresent being that is privy to such information? How presumptious of you. The answer to your question is no. The blacks I know, and have overheard do not take pride in OJ's acquittal.

As a matter of fact, most blacks I knew were too shocked at the acquittal to display any emotion. While we're on the topic, not all blacks are athletic, gang members, avid gangsta rap listeners, or support OJ Simpson. However the stereotype of really big penises is well [email protected]
                            So, you're impression is that most black Americans were, on average, just as disappointed at the verdict as most non-black Americans? What about all the published polls at the time? Also presumptuous and racially stereotyped? What about every interview with respected black public figures who either refused comment altogether or double-talked their way around the obvious conclusion that OJ murdered his ex-wife? Who were all those black people seen rejoicing on TV newscasts throughout the country??

By the way, you're doing exactly what you accused everybody else of doing in your first post: Namely, I'm expressing my honest impression that, to my genuine surprise at the time, many American blacks seemed pleased with the verdict, to which you respond by suggesting that I must have a stereotypical view about the race, based on ridiculous assumptions and prejudiced generalizations.

No argument from me on your last point, though: I agree that you're starting to sound like a really HUGE one.
                            Last edited by ProWriter; 10-11-2005, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I remember i was sitting in my apartment, with my then-b/f.

I was in a state of shock, as was he. Disgusted.

I remember the scenes of the blacks rejoicing, yelling, clapping, smiling...almost as shocking as the verdict. And his smiling was the worst of all...

And the Justice system...disgusting also...

I'm sure it wasnt ALL blacks, but what i saw that day definitely changed me, unfortunately.

Comment

So, you're impression is that most black Americans were, on average, just as disappointed at the verdict as most non-black Americans? What about all the published polls at the time? Also presumptuous and racially stereotyped? What about every interview with respected black public figures who either refused comment altogether or double-talked their way around the obvious conclusion that OJ murdered his ex-wife? Who were all those black people seen rejoicing on TV newscasts throughout the country??

By the way, you're doing exactly what you accused everybody else of doing in your first post: Namely, I'm expressing my honest impression that, to my genuine surprise at the time, many American blacks seemed pleased with the verdict, to which you respond by suggesting that I must have a stereotypical view about the race, based on ridiculous assumptions and prejudiced generalizations.

No argument from me on your last point, though: I agree that you're starting to sound like a really HUGE one.
                                Ok, so now we've jumped from most blacks to many blacks? At least you're back pedalling in the right direction. That was your impression? We're ok then, your previous posts implied it was a fact, now you've made it clear that it was just your warped interpretation.

What am I accussing everybody of doing? In regards to your polls, are they the same polls that predicted Kerry would win the election? Polls are useless. They polled about 100 to 300 blacks and concluded every black person rejoiced over OJ's conviction.

I have my reservations about the media. They were many groups that protested OJ's acquittal, but they chose not to cover these groups because they were not controversial enough.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4183 users online. 245 members and 3938 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X