300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious from an experienced LEO view

I'm finishing up my degree and took a class called "Law and Race Relations," the debates were pretty intense and I'd love to understand this topic from an experienced LEO point of view.

How does America solve the racial arrest gap? Are there any solutions departments or cities can do to fix this? (without backlash)

My classmates while have good points, throw around stats and accusations but not one has been able to form a possible solution for this apparent problem.

People of any race who don't commit crimes are pretty certain not to become arrest statistics. Mistakes happen, and there are a few bad apples out there, but my premise is accurate 99.9% of the time. The human variable simply cannot be factored out of the equation. It is not the job of the police to raise people not to commit crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      People of any race who don't commit crimes are pretty certain not to become arrest statistics. Mistakes happen, and there are a few bad apples out there, but my premise is accurate 99.9% of the time. The human variable simply cannot be factored out of the equation.
      I agree completely, I've stood firm when saying almost the same thing 99% of the time regardless of race, if you commit a crime eventually you will be caught.

Comment

Federal law requires law enforcement agencies nationally to report crime statistics to the FBI based on crime reports they take from citizens.

Those statistics demonstrate that based on victim and witness reports, some ethnicities commit crimes in far greater proportion than their percentage in society while other ethnicities commit crimes in far less proportion than their percentage in society. It would only seem reasonable and logical that the percentage of arrests and incarcerations for those groups would be equally proportionate to the crimes they are reported to have committed.

Should a particular ethnic group wish their rates of arrest and incarceration to properly reflect their percentage in society, it is incumbent upon them to first reduce the number of crimes they commit to be proportionate to their numbers as well. There can be no "free bonus crimes" because of ones ethnicity.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          Federal law requires law enforcement agencies nationally to report crime statistics to the FBI based on crime reports they take from citizens.

Those statistics demonstrate that based on victim and witness reports, some ethnicities commit crimes in far greater proportion than their percentage in society while other ethnicities commit crimes in far less proportion than their percentage in society. It would only seem reasonable and logical that the percentage of arrests and incarcerations for those groups would be equally proportionate to the crimes they are reported to have committed.

Should a particular ethnic group wish their rates of arrest and incarceration to properly reflect their percentage in society, it is incumbent upon them to first reduce the number of crimes they commit to be proportionate to their numbers as well. There can be no "free bonus crimes" because of ones ethnicity.
          I concur, I have argued this throughout class to no avail. While the professor agreed with me, my classmates stuck to the race card. It's a simple equation.

To fix this "issue" one classmate suggested we target the majority, another suggest we blame politicians, all had some sort of way to blame everyone but the criminals themselves.

Comment

The libs have to have something to blame instead of accountability. The first time I took a sociology class I walked out after hearing the idiots spew nonsense about races in society and how they are born in to a status of being criminals. Life is about choices you make the wrong one you pay the price.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Too many variables to "fix" this as LEO. We as LEO have no power over citizens who wish to make bad life choices.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
                The libs have to have something to blame instead of accountability. The first time I took a sociology class I walked out after hearing the idiots spew nonsense about races in society and how they are born in to a status of being criminals. Life is about choices you make the wrong one you pay the price.
                I could not agree more, I was scolded for my "insensitivity."

Comment

Just accuse the class of race bias.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The key to solving the problem is understanding the problem. Racial arrest gap is a myth. We arrest the folks that break the law. Regardless of what the liberal media or the race baiters would say -- I am NOT the one responsible for calling 911 and saying that a black man is robbing the BP station at gunpoint. When we have to look for someone, we say "what is the description?" . We don't say "how black was he?" - which is what I think the media thinks we do most of the time. We just follow our leads. If that means that the incarceration rate for black males 19-45 is higher than females of any race or white males of the same age bracket, then guess what that means? It means they are the ones doing the crimes. We can't fix that. What do they want us to do - just randomly arrest white folk to even it out?

The PROBLEM is not the arrest gap - its the fatherless household epidemic. Too many children, of EVERY RACE, are being brought up in fatherless homes. Until that is addressed, no other "fix" is going to work.

Comment

I believe you're absolutely correct. So many of these kids I go to school with dont understand the facts or dont want to. I personally think its clear cut but the oblivion to reality is shocking (given that these kids are 21-25ish, no I am not proud of my generation.) I have read countless articles written from the farrrrr left perspective and very few from the right. OH, and dont even get me started on the ACLU, all I have seen is numbers and accusations being thrown out that are not only bias but disgusting. I dont see the numbers for black on black crime, I dont see the numbers for how many violent thugs are taken off the street on a daily basis, I dont see the amount of officers fallen in the line of duty by these thugs. All I see is racism accusations without verification and without the correct research.

My argument (which I did not back down from) no department is going to throw more officers in a neighborhood with little to no crime (yes someone in class suggested we target whites to "even out the gap" all while complaining about being "targeted") Its just common knowledge that in crime ridden areas there will be more officers aka more arrests. I'm 99.99999% sure its actually that simple!

Lack of knowledge is the most dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                        We don't say "how black was he?" - which is what I think the media thinks we do most of the time.
                        It sure did get complicated once 'white Hispanic' and 'transblack' became options.
                        Originally posted by Michigan
                        Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

I think that America as a whole needs to support personal responsibility while doing away with political correctness. When someone does wrong call them out on it. When someone does well call them out on it. Requiring everyone to take full responsibility for their actions would go a long way.
                          Vengeance is not justice...

Comment

We have too many victims in this country.

Until ALL Americans adopt both a common language and especially an attitude of gratitude for being right here, right now, nothing whatsoever will change.

I don't care what the background, Native American, Black, White, Asian, LGBT/LSMFT, Hispanic, Eastern European, Irish and the dreaded Dutch, until people get happy being American and realizing the country, businesses, and other people owe them nothing, for simply taking up space and breathing, it will not get any better.
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

LSMFT? What in the heck does that stand for?
                              Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7331 users online. 433 members and 6898 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X