300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you No Open Carry Types

I'd like to give an honest to goodness scenario that happens more and more in open carry states. It is 100% legal.

You are at a table with your wife and kids in a nice coffee shop along the highway through a small to midsized town. You are armed with a small 10mm auto. In walks a bearded, smelly, scragley looking fella with a 6" Smith N Frame (probably a Model 629) in a shoulder holster, a small automatic in the rear of his waistband and a 10" Bowie knife in sheath on his belt.

He sits at the counter and stares at the waitress and glances occasionally at the cash register. He orders coffee and a piece of pie.

What would you do? Honestly. What would you WANT to do?
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Say hi to RKT and offer to pay his tab :P

But in all seriousness, keep two eyes on him and always at the ready. I doubt he is a threat, but unlucky for him I do not trust many.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Of course being former LE your spidey sense is ticking just a bit faster but you know it is 100% legal. You have two possible outcomes. There is a possible threat but not likely. Armed robbery perps are more into the covert then surprise, rather than overt causing undue attention to themselves. Looking around the cafe you see civilians who have seen him, leaving. My wife wants to leave with everyone else.
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I would check out his rig as it says alot about a guy. Shoulder holster with a wheel gun, a BUG and a Rambo knife? Honestly, he's probably a dork with "man" issues. Watch him but continue with life as normal. The glances at the register are because he spent so much on his gun, he's worried about paying the bill for pie and coffee with what is left of his Walmart paycheck.

A normal looking, bearded, fat guy with a level 2 Serpa retention rig and a $600+ stainless automatic is not a threat. That'll be me with my four cute kids and my lovely wife out for some pie and ice cream on a hot day. Stop by and say "Hi" on your way to go hassle the scruffy guy.

To me, it's the guy with the Hi-Point (or Glock 17...) stuffed in his velcro $25 Uncle Mike's holster that you should really worry about... He's the next "Gun free zone" school shooter or Mr. Loughner on his way to his next meeting. I see him and I grab my family and head out to our car. Legal for him to carry? You bet. Legal for my spidey sense to warn me to get out? Yep.

All the OCer's I know are aware of the need for reasonable appearance and also good retention of their firearm. Generally, though there are some exceptions, we all dress fairly nice, have a good holster and don't show more than one weapon.

Comment

You know 1042 that type of scenario should have always been the norm if people so choose here in America.
          At one time I use to think guns laws with in reason was maybe needed, Now not so much.
          This whole thing has grown like a child that you give a inch and they will take a mile every time.

Clearly when one studies the 2nd and the words in the 2nd their meanings such as infringed, Have regulations and laws gone to far? Clearly they have and beginning to even more.
          So if they have gone to far why do we continue to support them? Because they are law? So does that mean law is above the Bill of Rights? If that is so then they are not really rights at all but a list of privileges that can be taken and given at will depending on what law is passed today. Maybe George Carlen was on to something here!

It is sort of like one of the arguments when ever a sovereign citizen nut comes in talking about the right to drive, One of the main arguments that people use to show it is not a right is if it was then 5 year olds could drive where ever. Yet the 2nd is a guaranteed right and it is regulated and lawed to death. More so then any other right.

There are people with felonies now that did nothing more then act out their rights.

So if I seen someone such as you explained yeah, I would watch him a little but would I go home and be able to sleep because he did not fit my poster boy image of society so I infringed on him because of so? Most likely not.

Just my 2 cents...
          Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

they tell me Michigan is Legal open carry. However, i can't believe i could strap on my .45 and go for a walk without someone calling the police..
            it is What it is

Comment

If it's legal I wouldn't do anything but where did you get the small 10mm auto?

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                If it's legal I wouldn't do anything but where did you get the small 10mm auto?
                ...as compared to the cannon in the shoulder rig.

But seriously, this scene is very common here-albeit probably JUST the shoulder rig or JUST the waist gun. Often the knife.

I just thought it might generate some "interesting" discussion from the northest and left coast folks who, for the most part and with given exceptions here on this forum, just can't STAND to see guns hangin around.
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                  ...as compared to the cannon in the shoulder rig.

But seriously, this scene is very common here-albeit probably JUST the shoulder rig or JUST the waist gun. Often the knife.

I just thought it might generate some "interesting" discussion from the northest and left coast folks who, for the most part and with given exceptions here on this forum, just can't STAND to see guns hangin around.
                  The firearms, as long as they are unloaded (remember......no loaded carry here), would not be illegal.

However, he would be going to jail for the knife.....which is a felony charge here.

And we would have received about 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000 911 calls about him in the first 10 seconds after he walked in the door.
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom First View Post
                    I would check out his rig as it says alot about a guy. Shoulder holster with a wheel gun, a BUG and a Rambo knife? Honestly, he's probably a dork with "man" issues. Watch him but continue with life as normal. The glances at the register are because he spent so much on his gun, he's worried about paying the bill for pie and coffee with what is left of his Walmart paycheck.

A normal looking, bearded, fat guy with a level 2 Serpa retention rig and a $600+ stainless automatic is not a threat. That'll be me with my four cute kids and my lovely wife out for some pie and ice cream on a hot day. Stop by and say "Hi" on your way to go hassle the scruffy guy.

To me, it's the guy with the Hi-Point (or Glock 17...) stuffed in his velcro $25 Uncle Mike's holster that you should really worry about... He's the next "Gun free zone" school shooter or Mr. Loughner on his way to his next meeting. I see him and I grab my family and head out to our car. Legal for him to carry? You bet. Legal for my spidey sense to warn me to get out? Yep.
                    I couldn't have said it better myself. It's alot like "plain view" long guns in a vehicle: a lever action in the rear window of an old F-150 doesn't alarm me; but an AR in the back of a yaris, with Obama stickers would.
                    Last edited by reils49; 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM.
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Yeah, where can I get a small 10 mm auto?
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd like to give an honest to goodness scenario that happens more and more in open carry states. It is 100% legal.

You are at a table with your wife and kids in a nice coffee shop along the highway through a small to midsized town. You are armed with a small 10mm auto. In walks a bearded, smelly, scragley looking fella with a 6" Smith N Frame (probably a Model 629) in a shoulder holster, a small automatic in the rear of his waistband and a 10" Bowie knife in sheath on his belt.

He sits at the counter and stares at the waitress and glances occasionally at the cash register. He orders coffee and a piece of pie.

I don't see a problem with it at all. Heck I check every thing out when I walk into a place (e.g. the door ways, windows, people, exits and security cameras, security systems and the cash register).

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                        I couldn't have said it better myself. It's alot like "plain view" long guns in a vehicle: a lever action in the rear window of an old F-150 doesn't alarm me; but an AR in the back of a yaris, with Obama stickers would.
                        Now that would scare me! ...may be one of his civilian security force members....

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                          WHY??? I'd call that soemone who "apreciates" their rights under the consititution hahahaha.....(maybe if some of you guys on the right would STOP trying to smash us lefties in the noggin' with dogma, we'd actually side with you on stuff!!) hint*

Then again, IF you have the pride to buy "american" with a an AR ,you should have the PRIDE to have bought a ford contour or chevy malibu.....( just like the good ol' boys who proudly drive a Dodge pick up, BUT brag about their Anti american, "Bad guy" gun AKs)
                          Last edited by DOAcop38; 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM.
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Come on, Trooper ! Thats YOU after you come in from a long and "successful" White Tail Hunt... ( all that concerned citizen would have to do is look out the window and see the trussed by carcasses you got in the back of the pick up!!) hahha !and if he was smart, he'd ask you to cut him off a shank - had some deer meat recently- it was refridgerated fora while but the meat was good, if not different...)
                            Last edited by DOAcop38; 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM.
                            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Is the small-to-midsized town White Plains, New York?
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4188 users online. 272 members and 3916 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X