Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTV Editorial: Rappers And Fierarms: Self-Defense Or Ticket To Jail?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTV Editorial: Rappers And Fierarms: Self-Defense Or Ticket To Jail?

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/03/08/rap...icket-to-jail/

Rappers and guns are a losing combination.

Name one rapper that can say their firearm actually protected them from harm. Take your time.

Now, think about how many rappers are in trouble with the law, or sitting in the bing right now, because they were packing heat. That list would take a long while to finish.

The latest MC to stand before a judge because of illegally having a gun, allegedly, is former G-Unit member Young Buck. The Tennessee rapper is looking at a possible ten year sentence because when the IRS raided his home they found a .40 caliber pistol. A no go since Young Buck was on probation after literally sticking a fork in Jimmy James Johnson at the 2004 Vibe Awards.

Prodigy of Mobb Deep just finished serving a three year bid because instead of just getting issued a ticket for an illegal u-turn, police found a gun in his car. Since he was already previously convicted of gun charges, P plead out to a few years instead of the mandatory 15 he was facing.

Even Ja Rule, who during his commercial peak made a living off rap ballads, is going to serve two years for gun charges (attempted criminal possession of a weapon) after reaching a plea deal with prosecutors.

Then there is Shyne, who lost 10 years of his freedom, and the right to live in the United States, after squeezing the trigger in a New York club in 2001. In 2009, B.G. was arrested for illegal gun possession in New Orleans, his old Cash Money running mate Lil Wayne spent a year
    on Rikers Island over gun charges and Lil Boosie is sitting in jail because of gun charges too.

But the most high profile of these cases belongs to T.I., who infamously got arrested by ATF agents at the 2007 BET Hip Hop Awards. Tip was caught trying to by machine guns, silencers and other arms the convicted felon had no business being near. The display of weapons at a news conference where detectives displayed the artillery T.I. had in his possession was alarming. The rapper noted the guns were for
    protection in light of the murder of his best friend Philant Johnson, who in 2006 was gunned down in a van he and T.I. were riding in after a performance in Cincinnati.

Perhaps more profound is that while hip-hop has lost it fair share of artists to natural causes or tragic accidents, far too many have perished because of gun violence. The Notorious B.I.G, Tupac Shakur, Big L, Soulja Slim, Freaky Tah and Stack Bundles are only a fraction of some of artists who had their careers cut short in a hail of bullets.

Too many times the line between reality and fantasy are getting crossed which can lead to tragedy. Waka Flocka, whose video for “Bustin At Em” is like an NRA wet dream, recently had his tour bus shot at while in North Carolina.

While plenty of artists are quick to boast their prowess with a pistol, few give anti-gun violence any lip service at all. Pharoahe Monch did on “When The Gun Draws” from his 2007 album Desire, but mainstream artists rarely stay on message. Maybe keeping the peace doesn’t sell as many records?

The irony is that most of these aforementioned incidents, could have, and should have been avoided.

Rappers, take heed. If you are a convicted felon, you cannot carry a firearm, period. If you’re that concerned over your safety, hiring some licensed muscle will probably cost less than court fees, attorney retainers and missed show dates due to you being locked up behind bars.

If you can carry a firearm, get a permit. The fees to obtain a handgun license in New York City total about $500 with addition of your time to fill out an application and a generally clean record. Have a spotty past? Then maybe carrying a handgun just isn’t for you.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

I can't stand rap "music" any more. I use to listen to all genres even rap but lately I'm more drawn to classic music, classical j*** and classic country.

Comment

Isn't anyone concerned that the Second Amendment rights of the rappers are being violated?

Comment

Nobody cares a felon has his/her 2nd amendment right taken away...I wouldn't want someone with questionable decision making to have a gun...Rappers today are dumb, they roll around in a dangerous lifestyle then want to call "time-out" once they make it big...There's no "time-out" in the drug or gang game...At least rappers back in the day knew that, these guys today are a joke...

From what I've seen and heard a lot of these guys turn to rap once they get a cold dose or reality...When 50 cent got shot 9 times he knew it was time to do something else, when some gang members beat up the Game and put a gun to his face he went into the rap game...Rap has turned into pro-wrestling, and the quality has gone waaaaaay down...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
          Nobody cares a felon has his/her 2nd amendment right taken away...I wouldn't want someone with questionable decision making to have a gun...
          Those who truly believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an unrestricted right to carry a firearm should be concerned. I don't think it does, and I don't "want someone with questionable decision making to have a gun." Or at least I want to be able to arrest him when he does carry one.

Comment

The only good rapper is the one taking a dirt nap.......
            Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
              The only good rapper is the one taking a dirt nap.......
              Seems like the only good rappers are taking a dirt nap: 2Pac, Biggie, thise two are better then 99.9% of the people out today...I'd rather listen to musci from the 80's and 90's then the crap that's out today...

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              Those who truly believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an unrestricted right to carry a firearm should be concerned. I don't think it does, and I don't "want someone with questionable decision making to have a gun." Or at least I want to be able to arrest him when he does carry one.
              If you don't have a violent felony charge on your record you shouldn't worry...If you want to carry a gun go ahead...I'm not a big guns type of guy, but I'm not going to stand in the way of law-abiding citizens from carrying, if they choose to do so...

I'm just shocked, I forgot to mention in my first post, MTV still writes about music?!?!...
              sigpic

Comment

Isn't anyone concerned that the Second Amendment rights of the rappers are being violated?
                If they are felons, drug abusers or dealer, gang bangers etc then no, I'm not all choked up about them loosing their rights to own or use firearms.
                I don't like laws that make other wise law abiding citizens into criminals. Such as "high capacity magazines," flash suppressors, pistol grips etc on firearms.
                I have firearms with high capacity magazines and pistol grips. I've never committed any crime but if I was to live in your state I would be committing a crime just for having them.

Comment

^^^^^^^^ What he said.
                  "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                  But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                  "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                  We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                    If they are felons, drug abusers or dealer, gang bangers etc then no, I'm not all choked up about them loosing their rights to own or use firearms.
                    I don't like laws that make other wise law abiding citizens into criminals. Such as "high capacity magazines," flash suppressors, pistol grips etc on firearms.
                    But many of the Second Amendment proponents on this forum seem to believe that the Second Amendment guarantees all Americans a right to keep and bear arms, and that any regulation is unconstitutional.

Comment

But many of the Second Amendment proponents on this forum seem to believe that the Second Amendment guarantees all Americans a right to keep and bear arms, and that any regulation is unconstitutional.
                      DAL I think you are starting to beat on a drum singing a sour note. No one I have seen said anything that felons or valiant criminals should be able to own or carry guns.

I know what I have said is about the same westside popo just said above you, When laws start to make law abiding citizens into criminals then we have problems.
                      When a man is made into a felon because he has a baseball bat, or steal pipe, ext. for protection and he is made into a felon for having such, We have problems.
                      Hell for that matter you can get stuck with felony charges for getting in trouble with the IRS, Should those kind of blood thirsty criminals have their rights taken for life?
                      Look at what happen to the guy in NJ, I don't care who you are if you think that was right and lawful then that is scary as hell! For something like that to have happen in America then the bill of rights is all ready dead. Everything else is just mute from that point on.

My stance on the 2nd is the people will be disarmed in this country at some point. But it will not be by striking down the 2nd it will be by laws making the red tape so burdensome that no one will be able to own.
                      But I do not believe one second that anyone on here is saying valiant criminals, crazy people, wife beaters, ext. ext.. Should still be able to run around with a gun. Your missing the mark on this one I think.

As for music, I'm a 80's rock fan my self well 60's 70's too. Doors, Kiss, Journey so on.. I even listen heavily to the old classic out law country music. And yes Classical is awesome also!
                      Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

I don't recall seeing it on this forum to that extreme in regards to criminal and felons. Like I've said before criminalize the criminal! Do not ban or outlaw the firearms good people can use, if they choose too, to defend themselves from the criminals.
                        Last edited by westside popo; 03-21-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                          I don't recall seeing it on this forum to that extreme in regards to criminal and felons. Like I've said before criminalize the criminal! Do not ban or outlaw the firearms good people can use, if they choose too, to defend themselves from the criminals.
                          They may say expressly that criminals and felons have a right to possess and carry firearms. Nonetheless, they say that the Second Amendment guarantees an unrestricted right to carry a firearm. Then they support restrictions for some people. The point is that they are being hypocritical.

As another example, many claim that the Second Amendment guarantees an unrestricted right to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Yet most live in a state where a permit is required, and seem to be OK with that. It may be easy to get for many people, but the permit, including a background check, is still required.

Beyond that, how do you tell who is a "criminal" who should be allowed to carry a firearm? Given that there are so many laws, and so little regard for them, most people have committed crimes, even if they have not been convicted of committing them. Is a habitual drunk a "criminal"? If you only consider felony convictions as a prohibition on carrying a firearm, most young gangbangers would be eligible to carry, and could even get a permit in most shall-issue states.

Of course, most of the advocates of unrestricted carry don't live or work in areas where gangbanging is common, and don't seem to understand that city life is different from life in the country.

Comment

Reading a mag. setting in a doctors office today. Seen where a mother got a felony and spent 10 days in jail because of where she sent her kids to school. She was convicted of falsifying documents.
                            I don't care how you look at it, For some one to get a felony and loose certain rights in this country because of where you send your kids to school is wrong. Should this lady now not be able to carry a gun? I mean she is a felon now after all!
                            Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorkon View Post
                              Reading a mag. setting in a doctors office today. Seen where a mother got a felony and spent 10 days in jail because of where she sent her kids to school. She was convicted of falsifying documents.
                              I don't care how you look at it, For some one to get a felony and loose certain rights in this country because of where you send your kids to school is wrong. Should this lady now not be able to carry a gun? I mean she is a felon now after all!
                              Actually, she was convicted of making false statements under oath, not sending her kids to the wrong school. She also refused to pay the tuition for the school.

But this does provide an example of why conviction for a felony is not a very good determinant for prohibition of firearms ownership. On the other hand, should someone who has two misdemeanor convictions for drug possession, a misdemeanor conviction for GTA and a conviction for misdemeanor assault be carrying a gun?
                              Last edited by DAL; 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3193 users online. 175 members and 3018 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X