Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case Study - The failure of gun control laws.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAL View Post

I think your failure to mention these other figures is materially misleading.

Yep....it was
    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by DAL
      ...I find the statistical and econometric studies by Dr. John Lott to be far more persuasive. (Of course, that is not saying much.) However, while there is a negative relationship between increased gun ownership and decreased crime rates, other factors have a far greater influence on the rate of crime. ...
      (emphasis added)

Dr. Lott said "more guns less crime". He found a positive correlation between increased gun ownership and decreased crime rates. I think you meant to say something not dissimilar.
      Monty Ealerman
      Banned
      Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 11-03-2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
        Dr. Lott said "more guns less crime". He found a positive correlation between increased gun ownership and decreased crime rates. I think you meant to say something not dissimilar.
        You are correct. I should have deleted the word "decreased" when I inserted the word "negative" before correllation. Lott's studies are especially important because they control for other variables, and properly use time series analysis.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Furthermore he checked the records of every county in the US.
          Monty Ealerman
          Banned
          Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reef_Cop View Post
            PLEASE CHANGE MY VOTE! I accidentally voted yes for some retarded reason.
            If there is a way for a thread starter to change a vote, let me know how to do it and I will. I suspect there is not due to safeguards against mischief, therefore, consider this an official acknowledgement of your vote correction:

REEF_COP VOTES "NO" ON THE SURVEY QUESTION.
            Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Furthermore he checked the records of every county in the US.
              I actually know John Lott. He is very bright and very skilled at econometrics and statistics. His funding does not come from organizations that push an agenda either for or against gun control.

I trust the integrity of his research and his conclusions.

Because I value individual freedoms, and because gun regulation is costly, I would have to be convinced that gun control laws were extremely effective if I were to support them. At the very least, Lott's studies dispell the myth that gun control is crime control.

But people have to understand that his studies do not include all weapons, and cannot be used as proof that we would benefit from eliminating restrictions on owning all types of weapons. Also, I have not kept up with his work, and so do not know whether he has done any research on the impact of shall-issue CCW licenses. I think that the data for such a study would be hard to come by because it takes many years of data to get a statistically significant result, and much of the shall-issue legislation is fairly recent.

Comment

Hi DAL,

I live in Chicago, but I don't know Dr. Lott personally. Most non-firearm weapons are not prohibited here, if they're not concealed. You can carry a sword if it's not concealed and you don't have the intention to use the same unlawfully against another. You can carry a firearm in transport condition (unloaded in a case with the ammunition in a separate compartment or in another container) provided that you have the requisite Illinois FOID (Firearm Owner's Identification) card. Dr. Lott started his research with the intention of proving that more guns meant more crime, and when he found out that the opposite was true, he was honest enough to report accordingly.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

Hi DAL,

I live in Chicago, but I don't know Dr. Lott personally. Most non-firearm weapons are not prohibited here, if they're not concealed. You can carry a sword if it's not concealed and you don't have the intention to use the same unlawfully against another. You can carry a firearm in transport condition (unloaded in a case with the ammunition in a separate compartment or in another container) provided that you have the requisite Illinois FOID (Firearm Owner's Identification) card. Dr. Lott started his research with the intention of proving that more guns meant more crime, and when he found out that the opposite was true, he was honest enough to report accordingly.

Regards,

Monty
                  I was referring more to weapons such as machine guns and missiles, which some people favor making legal. I am dubious about those.

I met John Lott through a friend who was an economics professor at the University of Arizona and a board member of the Goldwater Foundation. I never inquired about his politics.

Comment

I was referring more to weapons such as machine guns and missiles, which some people favor making legal........ .
                    Sounds appealing to me if they came equipped with AH seeking nose cones. I wouldn't mind having a set mounted under the left and right sides of the front bumper of my car and on the left and right sides of my forks on my HOG.

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

It's against the law to rape someone, buy, sell or use crack and to rob banks.

People still do it.

Gun control laws are the single most absurd thing on the books today. I kinda put it up there with out outdated local ordinance that states it's illegal to servive a mare on a public street.

Who does that today?! Or even back when we still rode horses?

As far as onwing full auto, who cares?

Missiles and other high explosives need to be restricted simply because you can't control the inevitable explosion which occurs or the various sharp, nasty bits that fly around from said blast.

So no LAW rockets, Ducth V40 mini-grenades or C4 for the general public.

Not even with a tax stamp.

But a belt fed .50 cal?

SIGN ME UP!

Rev

Comment

Gun Control is Unconstitutional.
                        End of story.
                        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                          Gun Control is Unconstitutional.
                          End of story.
                          That view has not ended "the story," nor does it seem likely to do so in light of the Supreme Court's divided ruling in Heller that gratuitously stated that some limitations on firearms ownership and carrying would be Constitutional. I think there is a long road to go to define permissible limits on gun rights.

There are some gun control laws that I support. For example, I support the prohibition on convicted felons possessing firearms (so that they can be arrested when they do), the prohibition on mental patients possessing firearms, and the prohibition of possession of destructive devices. I think that most people would agree.

Comment

That view has not ended "the story," nor does it seem likely to do so in light of the Supreme Court's divided ruling in Heller that gratuitously stated that some limitations on firearms ownership and carrying would be Constitutional. I think there is a long road to go to define permissible limits on gun rights.

There are some gun control laws that I support. For example, I support the prohibition on convicted felons possessing firearms (so that they can be arrested when they do), the prohibition on mental patients possessing firearms, and the prohibition of possession of destructive devices. I think that most people would agree.
                            Like Nancy Pelousy's 1200 page health care scam. She should be arrested, given a fair trial, and sentenced to life in an insane asylum for deranged DC politicians. In my humble opinion as always.

Comment

Nancy Pelosi is a destructive device. The way you make destructive devices safe is to explode them.

Comment

[QUOTE=WSB_Hunter;2058684It does not matter how much violence there is, law abiding citizens should not be disarmed or made to deal with the bs of freedom stripping laws.[/QUOTE]

Ergo, you must support the legalization of marijuana and more serious drugs. After all, prohibiting their use is "freedom stripping." It matters not how terrible the effects might be on the individual or the rest of society.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2011 users online. 149 members and 1862 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X