No announcement yet.

Antique Gun for Sale

300x250 Mobile

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Gun for Sale

I have an antique gun that was passed down to me thru my family years ago.

I would like to get as much money as possible for it - as i could really use it right now. I've been researching online, and have found prices from $530 - $1,650 for similar guns.

I will take more closeup photos. Also, if youre not interested but clicked on here... could you please let me know if you think i should polish up the gun, clean and polish the wood, etc.? Someone had told me it would be worth more looking 'used,' and i was afraid of messing up some of the ornate engravings by trying to polish it.

It's made by J.P. Clabrough & Bros., London
    Laminated Steel

the only other markings that i can read on it say : 16 ~ 91

If you have any interest, you can email me at
    since i dont come onto the Forums anymore. I'm working on my asking price. Thanks, Jill
    Attached Files

I'd take it to a pawn shop and have them bring in an expert to find the value.... or you could just send it to me....

You don't have enough information to really have a good idea of what it's worth. I wouldn't do anything to disturb the original finish as that would reduce the value. You may want to contact the NRA and try to get some history on it as that's where the value is.

Will you take $50

If you really want a value go to the NRA Museum in Northern Va during the week. They have real appraisers that will quote you a price and tell you what you have. I see it's a high dollar old as heck side by side double barrel shotgun from England probably worth 1K. In todays economy it's hard to get what it's truely worth.
          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

A couple of suggestions. As to the value, start with a quality gunshop, and not a big box store, for an accurate estimate, then if you really want to sell it try Also a great place to buy and sell period weapons is the National Web site for the Single Action Shooting Society at
            They have a classifieds section with over 75,000 members internationally. Good luck

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
            Toby Keith

Thanks much for your help!

I'm researching as much as i can online... the only thing is, nothing else is 'written' on the gun itself (that i can read).

Yes, i'm hoping to get somewhere around $800-$1,200 from the right person.

If you have a Cabela's near you, talk to the guys in the gun library section. They specialize in older guns and they could probably tell you what you have and an approximate value. (They may try to buy it from you but would likely lowball you as they would have to mark it up to resell it).

You are aware that laminated steel is very similar to Damascus steel in that thin sheets of steel are wrapped around a mandrel and then the seams are welded.

They are not ever to be used with any modern day powder/shells. These were strictly black powder shotguns. So it is simply a wall hanger in this period of it's life. Unless someone wants to spend a ton of money getting it proofed. It's expensive because of the dozen of feet of welds on a laminated gun. Even if the original welder did an outstanding job, there is no way of knowing if corrosion over the last century has caused hidden voids to open up in the welds. If there are hidden pockets of corrosion or voids, that is your hand on the fore end that is at risk. By the looks of the first picture, the barrel clearly shows signs the shotgun wasn't well maintained.

Value in guns go from one extreme to another. A lot of things can effect value but nothing as much as conditioning of the overall gun. But don't clean the gun from this point on, the value will definitely decrease from whatever it might be if you did anything to the original finish.

Unless you can document the guns history, there is absolutely no value in it's linage. However, if you can prove linage, then it would have a significant increase in value. What may be a family heirloom, may be just another piece of junk, so don't be surprised if it doesn't appraise for much. Personally if it were a family heirloom passed down to me from one generation to another to another, there's no way I'd sell it, but it's your call.

Having said that, you need to get it graded and appraised before you even begin to start asking money for it. Get two appraisals on it. One for value purposes and one for insurance purposes. They will be different. Whatever you decide, don't shoot it.

OK, thanks. I wasnt going to shoot it.

I am in need of money, but was only going to sell it if it was going to bring a high price - what i thought to be a high price, anyway. I would get numerous appraisals first, and i have a friend who runs and auction and possibly knows people who can help me with that.

It was not used by my father, i dont know the history of it, so it doesnt have alot of meaning to me as a family heirloom.

I'm researching as much as i can online... the only thing is, nothing else is 'written' on the gun itself (that i can read).
                      Look it over real close for any proof marks and they're normally small stamped symbols.

I agree with those who said don't try to polish it or clean it, and with you when you said you didn't plan to fire it, and with those who suggested getting an expert appraisal.

The auction houses are likely to be looking at what they think they might be able to get for it. They'll likely want to know whether you want an insurance appraisal or a likely market value appraisal. The former will generally be somewhat higher. They should not charge more than $10-$40 dollars for a written expert appraisal inclusive of statements regarding their expertise qualifications. You can use their appraisals as a basis for deciding what reserve price to put on it if you put it up for sale on ebay.

I suggest that you write as complete and detailed and accurate a description of it as you can, including any flaws you have observed, that you take lots of digital pictures of it, including significant details, and post the pictures with the listing.

If you don't want to go through an expert appraisal process and you decide to post it on ebay anyway, just as a guess from what you've posted here, I suggest you put a reserve price of $1000 on it.

The reserve price means you don't have to sell it if no-one wants it at that price or above. For prices under $5000 that costs you a fee of 1% of the reserve price, e.g. $10 for a $1000 reserve, and there is a fee limit of $50 for reserve prices of $5000 or more.

You could put in a "buy it now" price of $1500 or so (the fee for a "buy it now" listing for anything over $50 is 25 cents).

You can then sell it for whatever you can get for it above (or below) $1000 (you can't get more than the "buy it now" price if you use one).
                        Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 12-11-2009, 08:46 AM.

Hey's been a long time! Hope all is well

I forwarded your photos on to someone who knows and collects all types. Perhaps he can assist you with more details of what you actually have.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

What's Going On

There are currently 6365 users online. 232 members and 6133 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad