Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Test in 1 week....diet/hydration tips?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Test in 1 week....diet/hydration tips?

Hey all,

Friend of mine is taking the power test in 1 week and we were discussing how to properly hydrate and what to eat before taking the test. I told him I'd post on here to get some feedback.

He's okay far as the events of the test are concerned, he's just curious as to when should he "really start to hydrate" as he puts it (2 days before...3days, etc. and how much). Also, are there any foods in particular he should be focusing on either right before or a few days before for energy, etc.?

This is not a weight-loss issue, just wants to ensure he is fully prepared.

Thanks in advance!!

Could you be more specific about what a Power Test is?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE View Post
      Could you be more specific about what a Power Test is?
      Sure....

Situps in under a minute (# based on age...37 for him)

1.5 mile run in specific time (for his age...13:46)

Sit and reach

Bench Press a specific percentage of your bodyweight (I'm pretty sure it's 98% for his age group)

As the clock winds down he just wants to be sure he's as ready as can be.

Any ideas out there for breakfast foods the morning of the test....or any hydration tips/suggestions? He's roughly 5'9'' and 180lbs I believe if that makes any difference.

Comment

That is not really a difficult test to prepare for.. I would suggest he eat what he normally eats the days before.. Of course, if he eats junk that is not ideal.. I would stick to some complex carbs with non animal protein the day of the test.. Also tell him to keep hydrated...

Other than that, nothing special is required for those tests..

BTW- Im not sure why that is called a Power Test lol..looks like a physical agility test for any dept..

Comment

You are correct...it is just a physical agility test...I believe it stands for Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I guess it would depend how well he can currently do the test. If he can do all of that with no problem, then like FutureLE said, I would stick to my normal consumption.

You said he weights 180lbs. Is a lot of that fat? Has he been physically preparing for this?

Comment

I don't know why people worry about diet for a simple PT test...

In the army and during my academy we did a pretty strenous PT session before we ate anything without any problems.

The diet matters after a half marathon and a PT test is no where as taxing as a HM...

I would stay away from foods you haven't tried before and fatty foods or anything fried. The worst thing is doing a PT test with an upset stomach.

You should always be hydrating if you are physically active and on the morning of the PT test a sport's drink should suffice. I personally don't eat any solids or if anything a granola bar or the likes.

You should be shooting for graduating standards at the vey least and then the qualifying standards should be a breeze!
              Last edited by GrayPatriot; 08-05-2008, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                I guess it would depend how well he can currently do the test. If he can do all of that with no problem, then like FutureLE said, I would stick to my normal consumption.

You said he weights 180lbs. Is a lot of that fat? Has he been physically preparing for this?
                From what I know, yes, he has been preparing. Not much is fat though....pretty strong upper body but he does have a small beer pooch.

GrayPatriot: I hear what you're saying about diet not making too much of a difference. It was just the one link he felt he could/should strengthen just to make sure all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                  I hear what you're saying about diet not making too much of a difference. It was just the one link he felt he could/should strengthen just to make sure all is well.
                  Don’t get it wrong diet plays a major role in how one will perform; I believe most in here are simply saying do not have him change his current regiment suddenly before the test, which could affect his output.

Other than that staying hydrated should be done everyday and be considered a normal thing, KISS concept applies here. He should do fine, because that test looks as basic as it gets.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I might suggest a day or two of carbs before your event. For a marathon, I have a heavy week of carbing. For a smaller event, I would start carbing up a day or two before. When you consume a lot of carbs prior to a run or a "power test," you store more glycogen in your muscles. Increased Glycogen storage can double duration of exhaustive work.
                    Low or depleted glycogen storage:
                    1.limits exercise intensity
                    2.decreases time to exhaustion
                    3.increases rating of perceived exhaustion during physical activity

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5971 users online. 376 members and 5595 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X