300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink distilled water?

I had a friend who was a personal trainer (this was years ago) who swore by drinking distilled water saying that it was better that regular water. Something about distilled water is removed from the elements inside it vs other water having the elements filtered out. Has anyone else heard of this?
    Perseverate In Pugna

Probably doesn't make that much of a difference...

I mistakenly purchased a gallon of distilled water one time from the grocery store. I did not like the way it smelled or tasted... Soo... I guess it depends on the person.

Comment

My chemistry teacher told us it was not good for humans to ingest.

Comment

From what I remember and what I found out w/ a quick google/wikipedia search is that like everything related to health there is a debate as to whether its safe to drink long term or not.

What I do know is distilling water takes out the impurities and minerals that are normally found in water which some doctors argue are needed by the body so unless found elsewhere (ie foods you eat) could cause health issues. That and distilled water's pH is much more acidic than regular water (I think wikipedia stated anywhere from 5.8 - 7 on the pH scale). So that could cause effects long term.

I personally find water tastes better w/ all the minerals and "bad" stuff in it...hah

Comment

Reverse osmosis means that the water is stripped of everything that isn't h2o and then certain minerals are added back in.

Spring water is gathered from natural springs and can contain any amount of any variety of minerals. I can also technically be polluted, but generally that is avoided. Some spring water is even naturally carbonated.

Distilled water is water that has no (or almost no) trace minerals in it.

There is some evidense that areas that have soft water have a higher incidence of heart diease than areas with hard water. Soft water has less trace minerals than hard water, distilled water has none. IMHO distilled water is probably bad for you over the long term. Your body needs trace minerals, I am sure you also receive some of the same minerals from food such as veggies but possibly not all and possibly not enough. And reverse osmosis is just too artificial for me (plus it tastes bad, like really really bad to me)
          Houston Airport Iah limo service

Comment

Originally posted by MurielLowe View Post
            Reverse osmosis means that the water is stripped of everything that isn't h2o and then certain minerals are added back in.
            It's a nothing more than method of water purification

There is some evidense that areas that have soft water have a higher incidence of heart diease than areas with hard water.
            If that is true you can't say the water is causing the increased incidence of heart disease.
            IMHO distilled water is probably bad for you over the long term. Your body needs trace minerals, I am sure you also receive some of the same minerals from food such as veggies but possibly not all and possibly not enough. And reverse osmosis is just too artificial for me (plus it tastes bad, like really really bad to me)
            Distillation is a method of extracting desired products out of a liquid based on differing boiling points. Be it water, crude oil, or alcohol its all the same. Next time you take a shower the water on the mirror is basically distilled water. I for one can't really see how it could be bad for you. I mean it's pure h2o (relative pureness reflective of quality of distillation). It doesn't contain fluoride, not sure how big of a deal that is, and it costs a lot more. So if someone wants to buy it, it's their $

PS - What is that ovarian cysts thing you link to? Total BS! They are clearly trying to take advantage of people. !! Why would you support such a thing?

Comment

Screw drinking that crap. Just buy yourself a Britta H20 water filter and go for it!
              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Many homes on wells use reverse osmosis systems on drinking water faucets to remove potentially dangerous concentrations of dissolved materials that can't otherwise be removed.

I prefer "normal" water.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

How could water be bad for you? Distilled water is pure, so I don't see how it could be bad. A high school chemistry teacher may or may not be in a position to know; his expertise is in getting kids to memorize facts about chemicals. A personal trainer also is probably a bad source of info. The vast majority of personal trainers out there are incompetent.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Just get a water filter like a Britta.
                    sigpic
                    A Blog Of My Journey To Become a LEO

Comment

Distilled water is fine! I drink it all the time...just make sure your taking a good multi vitamin. If you are trying to get your minerals from water your in bad shape!!LOL I would not worry about the mineral deficiency Knowing that most Americans drink less than a glass of water all day ...Distilled water is fine!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5416 users online. 301 members and 5115 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X