300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibromyalgia

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a condition that involves chronic pain in the muscle tissues, which can be controlled by excercise, antidepressants, sleepaids, etc. Will this affect my chance at becoming a police officer? I can function normally but I do have a lot of pain, but I've learned to deal with it. I'm experimenting with certain treatment options to reduce this pain. This "disease" or "syndrome" is still being researched for which some parts and causes of this is still yet to be discovered.

Originally posted by chansepw View Post
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a condition that involves chronic pain in the muscle tissues, which can be controlled by excercise, antidepressants, sleepaids, etc. Will this affect my chance at becoming a police officer? I can function normally but I do have a lot of pain, but I've learned to deal with it. I'm experimenting with certain treatment options to reduce this pain. This "disease" or "syndrome" is still being researched for which some parts and causes of this is still yet to be discovered.
    Sorry to hear your having pain, fibromylagia is a very hard thing to diagnose my sister had it at one time. Six months later after she got off all of the medications they were feeding her, she has never felt better.

Your disease is still a topic that is very hot among the medical community. At my hospital I have seen patients come into the emergency room stating there in pain and have fibromylagia. Every doctor at my work will classify them as a drug seeker and send them on there way with motrin.

As for having problems taking pain medication and being a cop, I do see some serious conflicts of interest. You are under the influence of a controlled substance, what if you had to discharge your firearm during the course of your duties. I do not think a jury would be kind to a officer high on narcotics shooting people.

I'm not an LEO so I can't tell you from experience just my civilian point of view.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I have only been prescribed a very low dosage of Lexapro to take a night. I have not taken it for the time it allows for the medicine to actually take effect because I am a pilot and the FAA has banned SSRIS because Lexapro also treats depression, hence it's an anti-depressant.

There are other treatment options available, as I am beginning to exercise again no matter how painful it is because I've researched that it is very painful in the beginning, but it does get better. It would really be disheartening if I am unable to be a police officer and a pilot because of something I cannot control of having, but can level out the symptoms with many treatment options, whether it be taking antidepressants, exercise, etc.

I've also began taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements to see if that helps. I'm only on DAY 3 taking those, so it will be a few weeks until I probably can notice a difference or for it to actually take effect.

Comment

I'm not a law enforcement officer, nor am I involved in medicine, but I'd recommend not taking any answers you get from an online forum to heart or to be the exact answer that a future agency may give you as to your condition.

I consider this asking for medical advice so I'll refrain from answering.
        sigpic

Comment

I am not LE, but I was diagnosed with fibro back in '92. I've been through a unmber of medications including SSRIs.

The drug that has been the most beneficial to me is Mirapex, which was developed as an anti-parkinson's drug. It is NOT an antidepressant of any classification. Using it for fibro is an off-label use, but it has been enormously effective for me. It's like night and day. There have been some studies that backed its effectiveness for fibro, but unfortunately the manufacturer is the same one that developed Lyrica (pregabalin) specifically for fibro so they are not likely to push for their own drug to compete.

Everybody experiences fibro differently. I can tell you that even if I were younger I don't think I'd be able to handle an LEO job, not so much because of the pain but because of the fatigue.

Good luck with this. PM me if you want to know more.
          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

The use of SSRIs allowed by the Law Enforcement? It seems to me that it should, considering that it just increases serotonin in the brain, which shouldn't negatively effect a person's reaction time (in fact, he should be more aware) given that he/she has no adverse side effects.

Comment

Originally posted by chansepw View Post
              The use of SSRIs allowed by the Law Enforcement? It seems to me that it should, considering that it just increases serotonin in the brain, which shouldn't negatively effect a person's reaction time (in fact, he should be more aware) given that he/she has no adverse side effects.
              I personally know five officers that are on SSRI's for different reasons. I asked them about how they could take them and there department allow them to still work.

The answer I received was that once your on the department it really is not that big a deal, but getting threw the hiring process while taking them is a bit tougher.

It can be done and I'm sure you could still get hired by different departments, don't give up hope just call the recruiters and explain the situation and seek their advice.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3857 users online. 176 members and 3681 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X