300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need More Advice

I've been working out since the beginning of the year and am doing well overall, but as far as sit-ups and push-ups go, I feel like I've hit a wall.

I started three sets of very few (maybe six at best), for each.

I am currently at 21, 21, and 21 for sit-ups with barely being able to get the first two sets non-stop and the last being 10, then finishing off a couple at a time.

For push-ups, I was at 20,20 and maybe 10 with the last ones being on my knees (half push-ups).

Lately I have had some kind of mystery injury which has caused me pain in the back of my neck, so today I did almost four sets of 10, without any pain.

All this for a simple question. How do I proceed with adding reps? I obviously can't keep doing three sets and adding reps until infinity.

Are more sets with lower reps as effective?

My overall goal is do as many sit-ups in a minute as I can and at least 30-35 push-ups non-stop.

Any advice?
    Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Try doing pyramid workouts for both: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Has helped me alot. Or just drop and do pushups randomly throughout the day. Institute a rule: Want to use the bathroom? 10 pushups.

Comment

Barkalot, I've had the same problems. Especially that neck pain. But just recently I've done what lionheart says, doing pushups randomly and it has helped. I work 4/10s now and every 30 mins I do 15 pushups (eventually more). I get laughed at, but oh well. That comes to about 240 pushups a day so far.
      Help, operator. Give me the number to 911--
      Homer Simpson

Comment

You can do Tabata's: 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeat this for eight rounds.

Push-Ups would like this:
        20 secs of push-ups, ten seconds rest, 20 secs push-ups, ten seconds rest, etc until you have reached eight rounds.

Since you need to scale it back a bit, if you cannot do any more push-ups in the 20 seconds of work, just hold your-self in the lean and rest.

The other suggestions above are good also, if you want to watch TV, give me 20 or 10, go to the kitchen give me another 10 etc.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I just wanted to make sure by changing tactics I wasn't somehow losing what I have gained.

I could probably do five sets of 10 push-ups, if I pushed it, and that's 50 actual push-ups. The other way would have only been 40 actual, with maybe some half push-ups.

So, basically it's the number of push-ups versus the how they are accomplished?

I'd also like to add some sort of tricep exercise, but I can't do the reverse push-up on a chair. I just weigh too much at this point. Any ideas?

What is another ab exercise I could add? I tried leg lifts but it strains my lower back.
          Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by barkalot View Post
            I just weigh too much at this point.Any ideas?
            I'm speaking from my personal experience, you might want to stray away from specific isolation movements and go for an overall total body workout. If your over weight and having some pain when doing select exercises then change up your routine.

Isolation movements will work over a longer period of time, but if your over weight now, focus on dropping the weight first and once you reach a decent weight then build on it.

I used to weigh 329 and I'm now down to 202 in less than a year, you can lose weight but your goals have to be set first. But if you want to go from being over weight to muscular you will find that will take longer and you will not see results as fast.

Drop the weight first then build on what you have once your weight gets to a proper level. And of course I have to ask what your diet is really like?

Diet is everything, once it's dialed in everything else is easy.

P.S. Good job so far, keep it up.
            Last edited by djblank87; 07-20-2008, 12:05 PM. Reason: info

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
              I'm speaking from my personal experience, you might want to stray away from specific isolation movements and go for an overall total body workout. If your over weight and having some pain when doing select exercises then change up your routine.

Isolation movements will work over a longer period of time, but if your over weight now, focus on dropping the weight first and once you reach a decent weight then build on it.

I used to weigh 329 and I'm now down to 202 in less than a year, you can lose weight but your goals have to be set first. But if you want to go from being over weight to muscular you will find that will take longer and you will not see results as fast.

Drop the weight first then build on what you have once your weight gets to a proper level. And of course I have to ask what your diet is really like?

Diet is everything, once it's dialed in everything else is easy.

P.S. Good job so far, keep it up.
              What did you do to lose that amount of weight in that short time?

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6773 users online. 351 members and 6422 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X