Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Days to Get In Shape!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 30 Days to Get In Shape!

    Standard Illinois P.O.W.E.R. test in 30 days or so.

    What is the best way to **dramatically** increase my bench-press max?

    What is the best way to attain a 1.5-mile-run time of under 13:30?

    I have roughly 30 days from Monday (7/7/08) to achieve this goal. I also have access to an outdoor track.

    Obviously, I've given up the pop, sweets and salty chips/garbage food, etc. I'm also 6'4" and around 270. 25% BMI.

    This is a department I'd kill to work at, and I want it bad. I'm willing to give it 200% to get there. Any advice????

    Thanks...

  • #2
    30 days is cutting it close. It's a long shot to do it but man it will be tough. Why not wait and retest with them in a year or so. If it's a large city then they will probably be testing again soon. All I really can say is run, work on your bench, run some more, Sit ups as much as possible. good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      I've had good luck with a 5x5 routine for quick bench gains, but not that quick. . . .I'd say a week of 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps , as much as you can) then progress to 2 weeks of 3x3, 1 light week, then test. best of luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        For starters, where are you at now? Its impossible to give any real advice without a baseline to start from...
        \

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
          For starters, where are you at now? Its impossible to give any real advice without a baseline to start from...
          +1 and you should have been preparing yourself a long time ago.
          30days is really not enough time. especially if your 1.5 time is in the 16's and up and you have to bring it down to below 13.
          "Why you harassing me?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by John2008 View Post
            +1 and you should have been preparing yourself a long time ago.
            30days is really not enough time. especially if your 1.5 time is in the 16's and up and you have to bring it down to below 13.
            ^
            Very true.

            Apparently you do not really want the job that bad if you’re if waiting till the last minute to get into shape. You should be prepared mentally and physically for all the different aspects of what this job is going to throw at you.

            Part of this job is self-discipline, waiting till the last minute to get into shape shows a lack of self-discipline on your part. No offense, but you do not seem ready yet, wait a year and get in shape and then re-test.

            I’m not a LEO yet, but every time I test and do a PAT/PT that is the least of my worries.

            CrossFit

            RossTraining

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by John2008 View Post
              +1 and you should have been preparing yourself a long time ago.
              30days is really not enough time. especially if your 1.5 time is in the 16's and up and you have to bring it down to below 13.
              True. I'm still a year out and I PT hard every week. And I started with a sub-11 1.5 mile.

              I think that you can make it in 30 days if you REALLY want it (like working out 2x/day every day), but you really should have started 3-4 months ago. Good luck.
              Last edited by IronBruin; 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                workout like there's no tomorrow.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by IronBruin View Post
                  True. I'm still a year out and I PT hard every week. And I started with a sub-11 1.5 mile.

                  I think that you can make it in 30 days if you REALLY want it (like working out 2x/day every day), but you really should have started 3-4 months ago. Good luck.
                  I did the same as you, I'm suppose to start a academy tomorrow and I started preparing for it Last year. Ran 3x a week the whole year, My 1.5mile time was in the high 15's when I first started and now it's in the high 9's sometimes low 10's.
                  I'm 6'0 215.

                  You can make some improvement on your run time in 30days, Run everyday. First go for the distance by running 3-4miles every other day for 2weeks, then spend 2weeks working on speed while just running the 1.5mile.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                    I did the same as you, I'm suppose to start a academy tomorrow and I started preparing for it Last year. Ran 3x a week the whole year, My 1.5mile time was in the high 15's when I first started and now it's in the high 9's sometimes low 10's.
                    I'm 6'0 215.

                    You can make some improvement on your run time in 30days, Run everyday. First go for the distance by running 3-4miles every other day for 2weeks, then spend 2weeks working on speed while just running the 1.5mile.
                    Good luck in the academy

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 3067 users online. 136 members and 2931 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X