300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Replacement and Return to Work

I have been putting off a knee replacement for years, hoping to get the surgery just before retirement, but after my Synvisc injections have stopped providing temp relief, that may not be possible. Has anyone had a total knee replacement and returned to full duty (patrol)? I hear conflicting messages during my research and my Ortho recommends no more running. My knees are service connected (mil), so I could probably punch the button early and be fine, but my goal was to put in 5-6 more years.

Thanks in advance for any input, it is appreciated.

Get the surgery and then just retire. This is a great time to be a retired police officer...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      Get the surgery and then just retire. This is a great time to be a retired police officer...
      THIS!

Its not worth screwing up your knee permanently.

Comment

Dude. Get the surgery, retire, do something else.

Not worth messing up your body, not worth messing up your retirement with a civil suit, not worth messing up your personal liberty by being put in jail for doing exactly what you were hired and trained to do.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I’m leaning towards just getting it and hitting the button. I spoke with a physical therapist and she said it would probably wear out in 10 years or so if I stayed on after replacement, and I am not looking to get another one that quick.

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Look at the numbers- you may do better financially if you utilize your sick time and/or Worker's Compensation after your surgery while doing physical therapy, and then retire when your PT is done instead of going back to work. That will also extend your service time, which will probably improve your retirement calculation.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5403 users online. 333 members and 5070 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X