300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need some help

For a few reasons I have not been able to workout at all since I took my physical test in February, and I start the Academy next month. What would you guys suggest is the best way to get in shape in 1 month? It's mainly the running that I am worried about. Any advice or workout routines that you guys could suggest would be very much appreciated. Right now I am just running as much as I can at night, but I feel like that is a slow way to get in shape. But maybe that's really all I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Mac

Cardio cardio cardio is my suggestion.

And not doing anything since Feb. is a pathetic excuse unless you have a medical reason.

If you have a high PT type academy you are going to be hurting

GL
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Thanks Chiller.

Medical was part of it, and the other was personal reasons. I assure you I wasn't just slacking off though. And you're right, I am going to be hurting when the academy starts.

Is there anything more I can be doing, other than just running as long as I can every night?

Comment

As an ex military I know too much about cardio. The fastest way your gonna be able to make some gains is sprinting. Seriously sprint a lap walk a lap and so on till you get to 2 miles. Do it for two weeks every other night, then step up to three miles it sucks bad but you have to do it now, or your screwed.

Comment

Thanks a lot Blackwaterops, that really helps. About what distance would you consider 1 lap? I assume you are referring to running on a track in which case it would be 400 meters, correct?

Realistically, if I do as you say, should I be able to get in somewhat decent shape for the academy? I know it is going to be really tough either way. I'm just hoping to not look like a complete fool.

Thanks again.

Mac

Comment

yea and plus if your waiting to go to the academy i assume your not doing much during the day? you should have plenty of time for cardio at least an hour a day and do some stretching alot and also relax and rest

Comment

Originally posted by blackwaterops View Post
              As an ex military I know too much about cardio. The fastest way your gonna be able to make some gains is sprinting. Seriously sprint a lap walk a lap and so on till you get to 2 miles. Do it for two weeks every other night, then step up to three miles it sucks bad but you have to do it now, or your screwed.

What he said!~

Comment

Originally posted by NYCRJmajor914 View Post
                yea and plus if your waiting to go to the academy i assume your not doing much during the day? you should have plenty of time for cardio at least an hour a day and do some stretching alot and also relax and rest
                I'm actually still working full time until the academy starts so I don't have any time during the day. But I do have plenty of time after work and on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by Marky Mark
                  Although it will be tough, you can improve substantially in the month you have - if you're willing to hurt.... High Intesity Interval Training will improve your aerobic capacity the most in the limited time you have..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

http://www.hiitsource.com/

Also, you might consider the "tv workout" - every commercial break, knock out a set of pushups, even if you can only do 10 or so each time. Next break, do a set of situps. Do a set of pushups followed by a set of situps every day as soon as you get out of bed. Do another round right before you got to bed each night. You WILL improve in 30 days if you do this.

If you want to be really, really fit down the road:

www.crossfit.com

Good luck...
                  Thanks Marky Mark. That looks like a really good workout. I have been doing the "tv workout", and it has been helping a lot. I'm not too worried about the pushups and situps, it's the cardio that I'm really worried about. I'll try that workout this weekend.

Thanks again everyone.

Mac

Comment

Have you considered biting the bullet and consulting a personal trainer? A good one's worth his/her weight in gold. And like everyone above said, it's gonna hurt- investigate access to a hot tub, stretch regularly, stock up on ibuprofin, and don't neglect your stabilizer muscles or you'll wind up injured.
                    They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

with all the running you're doing, don't forget to include some light weight lifting for your legs. that will protect your joints from common overuse injuries. good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3613 users online. 229 members and 3384 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X