300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Riding

I have started to think about buying a bike to subsitute in for running to take so pressure off my joints. I was wondering how much riding do you have to do for it to be effective?

Any amount of riding is effective in some way or another. But it all depends on how hard you push, what your ability is and other factors such as hills, wind, rain, elevation etc...

Just start off where you feel comfortable and stable, then begin to push harder and increase your distance. You'll defiantly get some amazing workouts in while biking!
    --"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
    --"Run XC"

Comment

To sum it up in a short paragraph you will just need to ride fast and long. You will gain more fitness over a period of time. However, your legs (even if you are an accomplished runner or have a high fitness level) will need some time to get stronger and getting your lactic acid threshold higher. Once you achieve that task it will start to build up. however, on every ride you want to get your legs to that lactic acid threshold, and ride through it until you basically can't go then back off recover and do it again.(interval training basically, just like a runners workout.)
      Feel free to PM me if you want any training suggestion.
      Last edited by livestrong6; 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

for cardio improvement it's all about proper intensity and duration.
        75-80% max for 30-40m, 3-5xweek

Comment

Biking riding is nothing like running at all. so the 70 to 80% of your max for 30-40 minutes is not going to work. starting off to just get used to riding that might be fine for a week or so. Now obviously you will not get any aerobic benefit out of it unless you are a clued to the recliner eating ice cream all the time. to expand on my earlier statement above. Set a distance. 10-15 miles and ride that for time. Then each time you ride do the same distance and see how quickly you can do it. Then after a month start adding miles to it. 3-5 miles a week and see if you can do that in the same amount of time. after that trail start riding longer as fast as you can then when you can't go fast anymore still keep riding. 5-10 more miles. keep doing that and you will see your aerobic level increase and your times going down or atleast not as sore or tired at the end of the ride.

Comment

Get yourself a Pedometer. Most also have a timer and a tripodometer (spelling?). I paid $20 or so for mine. It will help you with the suggestion livestrong6 gave you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tecumseh View Post
              Get yourself a Pedometer. Most also have a timer and a tripodometer (spelling?). I paid $20 or so for mine. It will help you with the suggestion livestrong6 gave you.
              I may be mistaken here, but isn't a pedometer to keep track of steps taken while walking/running?
              Cycling has odometer/speedometer doesn't it?
              --"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
              --"Run XC"

Comment

Originally posted by prelives1337 View Post
                I may be mistaken here, but isn't a pedometer to keep track of steps taken while walking/running?
                Cycling has odometer/speedometer doesn't it?
                yeah, pedometer is for measuring steps while walking. What you'll want for cycling is something called a cycling computer. It consists of a small magnet, a sensor, wiring and a computer about the size of a watch. They have slightly different options so just check around, I got mine for around $30 works great.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3329 users online. 164 members and 3165 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X