X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kycop28
    replied
    UPDATE:
    Well, it has been almost 10 months since this injury and last night I could finnaly do a push up without pain. 2 weeks ago I wobbled and it hurt like hell but now it doesn't. Rarely I will feel a little bit of tension in my shoulder but I am happy to be able to do push ups!! Thanks to everyone who responded back to my questions!! Stay safe! Merry Christmas!!

Leave a comment:

• MEM-TEK
    replied
    Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
    Has anyone dislocated and fractured their shoulder before? After 10 weeks of being off work I am finally back, I have about 85% of motion in my shoulder. Therapist said after 10 weeks the shoulder will usually just release itself from going up automatically, I have been doing therapy and it's better but I still can not list out to the side, hard as hell to use an atm w/o shoulder going up and feeling heavy. Has any else had this problem and finally finished? I was in a sling for 6 weeks so the rotator cuff didn't move and now its just frozen.
    Hi Kycop28,

I am neither a LEO or a doctor, but I would like to tell you about my father's experiences with his shoulder. He is 78, in very good health and plays tennis. Anyway, he has had two surgeries for a torn rotator cup which happened while playing tennis. Its the overhand serve which got him both times! Did your doctors do a MRI to thoroughly check out your shoulder? Considering the problems which you are still having, I doubt it. Another possibility since one of my best friends now has early rheumatoid arthritis due to a bout with Lime's Disease, is that arthritis has set into your shoulder. Does arthritis run in your family? The ball and socket in your shoulder may simply need to be cleaned up, but a MRI should confirm this, or a torn rotator cup or torn ligaments.

My father's first shoulder surgery was done by a Beverly Hills doctor -- supposedly one of the best out there in California. And yet, after his second surgery which was performed by Dr. McCord down in Rome, GA, Dr. McCord commented that he had to "clean up some of the work done in the previous surgery." I looked the doc dead in the eye and saw that he thought that the Beverly Hills doctor who did my dad's previous surgery was, ahem, less than competent. Needless to say, my father healed up far more rapidly after the second surgery compared to the first surgery. Oh yeah, doctors can now implant a tube with an attached pump which pumps pain killers directly into the shoulder during the initial five days after surgery. My father had no significant pain after his operation. Both he and I were amazed. He did say that it felt weird when I pulled the tube out as directed five days after his operation.

So, if your insurance will pay for it, you might want to get an MRI (if you haven't already done so) to nip any problems in the bud now before further degeneration occurs.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth! Again, I am not in law enforcement and am NOT a doctor but just merely am communicating the experiences of my father.

Sincerest Regards,

--Michael

Leave a comment:

• Mad Max
    replied
    I'm actually on light duty now for a shoulder injury (3rd in 10 months). All three injuries were from on the job scuffles and the previous posters nailed it when they said it's easy to reinjure them. I have a torn labrum and a pool of fluid in my shoulder. It hasn't felt "right" since the first injury, i.e. loose, unstable, and it makes this gross audible "pop" when i move my arm from side to side or over my head. After every fight I get into the front of my shoulder swells up and mobility is shot along with sharp pain. My Ortho Doc is being pretty conservative and is using aggressive physical therapy instead of surgery. This past injury, which they've classified as a reinjury, I was out completely for a month and now am on six weeks of light duty. I've had two MRIs nine months apart and both show the same injury....no healing at all. I do all the excerices and it seems to fit in the socket better and feels more stable, but other than that I've babied the heck out it. I picked up a bag of groceries not thinking with a quick motion and it hurt like crazy for two days. My Doc keeps telling me I need time to heal, but if the MRIs are the same eight months apart with two reinjuries I think it may be time for a second opinion....I'm missing to much time on the links!

Leave a comment:

• Kycop28
    replied
    Originally posted by enterthedragon
    I'd like to chime in as I'm having mild shoulder symptoms.

I dont believe I have full on dislocations, but it feels like my shoulder is loose enough that the ball rotates ackwardly in its socket or grinds slightly. I've had this since I was younger...had to stop playing Quarterback for some time. Last year I sort of injured it while training for another sport. Since then it's been slightly uncomfortable at times. Last week I was shadow boxing and got the twisty/grindy feeling again.

I haven't had it looked at by a doctor as I'm scared of being out for 10 weeks and have tried just strengthening the shoulder muscles which seems like a temporary fix. It's obvious I need to have it professionally diagnosed...not looking forward to using up all my sick leave on this

You need to get it looked at, it sucked being off for 10 weeks but luckily I did mine on the job so I got workmans comp, which still sucked arse @ pay. Better to suck it up now then to go further down the road and be out for the rest of your career.

Leave a comment:

• Nappy
    replied
    I've dislocated my right shoulder 4 times and I had surgery on it a year and a half ago to repair it, so i've been through it all and then some. Your shoulder will probably always feel abit looser, and that "not right" feeling. This feeling never went away for me until after surgery. However, rotator cuff exercises and stability exercises are extremely important. From what you have explained it sounds like your just getting your range of motion back. Once you have motion back, i highly recommend you always put an effort in keeping those stability muscles tight and in good shape, meaning always doing shoulder exercises. If you don't do exercises, your going to put yourself more at risk to re-injure and re-dislocated in the future. After the first dislocation there is something like an %80 chance of re-dislocation within the first year.

Now I bet your therapist will be given you lots of exercises to do, so i won't go and explain good exercises. It is just extremely important to do them, and do them consistently.

Lastly, after surgery i had almost zero range of motion and my first exercise was to lean forward and do circles with my arm. Feels great, and it might be good for you depending on how healed you are now.

oh, and if you don't take care of the shoulder you can get cronic dislocation. For example on my 4th dislocation I was skipping rocks on the beach . Just the motion of throwing would dislocate!

Best of luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    i hurt my rotator cuff a wile back. nothing with a sling tho...but i had to sit my shoulder out for a while. its hard to get the strength back at first..TRY and do very VERY light shoulder exersices...even if you have to get a 2.5 or 5lb weight and slowly do side shoulder raises until u can build it up and stretch EASILY..dont do more than you feel you should...the marines say pain is weakness leaving the body...BS...if its in the join etc, pain is hurtfull and will mess you up even more!!!

Leave a comment:

• Kycop28
    started a topic Injured Shoulder advise

Injured Shoulder advise

Has anyone dislocated and fractured their shoulder before? After 10 weeks of being off work I am finally back, I have about 85% of motion in my shoulder. Therapist said after 10 weeks the shoulder will usually just release itself from going up automatically, I have been doing therapy and it's better but I still can not list out to the side, hard as hell to use an atm w/o shoulder going up and feeling heavy. Has any else had this problem and finally finished? I was in a sling for 6 weeks so the rotator cuff didn't move and now its just frozen.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4656 users online. 300 members and 4356 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X