300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraines

Are migraines considered a disqualifying ailment for some departments? I searched the forum and found that some officers suffer from migraines. For years I've had my heart set on serving my country in the Army before serving as a law enforcement officer. My doctor diagnosed me with migraines (they aren't that bad, and they rarely occur) and my chance of doing what I want to do in the Army are pretty much shot. Now I am worried about a job in law enforcement. Also, I have not been prescribed anything yet (I'm still waiting to talk to an Army recruiter), would a prescription look worse or better on my record? Thanks!
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
    Commissioned Police Officer
    RLTW

Originally posted by xcrunner
    Are migraines considered a disqualifying ailment for some departments? I searched the forum and found that some officers suffer from migraines. For years I've had my heart set on serving my country in the Army before serving as a law enforcement officer. My doctor diagnosed me with migraines (they aren't that bad, and they rarely occur) and my chance of doing what I want to do in the Army are pretty much shot. Now I am worried about a job in law enforcement. Also, I have not been prescribed anything yet (I'm still waiting to talk to an Army recruiter), would a prescription look worse or better on my record? Thanks!
    I haven't heard of anyone disqualifying someone because they have migraines. There are a lot of prescription medicines out there and if you need them or they help you when you have a migraine. Take it! If anyone does look at you having migraines, if they are under control or treatable with medicine, I don't see why they would have a problem with it.

Comment

Thanks! Anybody else have anything? I'm really desperate, I had my two careers of choice lined up and then boom, I found out that I might not be able to because of a few stupid headaches...
      "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
      RLTW

Comment

I have migraines, but they are controlled now to the point where I don't even have to have a prescription, but never at any point in the process was anything asked about migraines. You'll be fine.

Comment

you sure it's not high blood pressure?
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

You know, I am going to look into the symptoms of high blood pressure. When they took my BP at the doctor's office, it was a little high for someone my age (Male, 155 pounds, 5'11'', BP was 88 over 100 I think). Especially for me because I am a runner. Can this sometimes cause migraine symptoms? Thanks!
            RLTW

Comment

Scratch that, that reading was my heart rate, not blood pressure. Thanks for the tip though. I guess it is just a case of classic migraines. Not a big deal to me unless it's an obstacle in getting a military and/or LE job. Thanks!
              RLTW

Comment

Go to: http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Neuro.pdf

and look up Primary Headache Disorders starting on Page IX-14 for info on this subject.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Xcrunner--I put down on my federal application that I was diagnosed with migraines. I was still hired. I also disclose my meds and chronic conditions (I picked up on the job) during my 5 year security background checks. At first I was worried but it always turns out ok. You are better being totally upfront when applying for jobs so you are selected by an organization that you will fit into. My migraines became more sever as I aged.
                  Reality is only a perception

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5152 users online. 287 members and 4865 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X