300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivation

Hey guys, how do you guys/girls find and keep motivation for fitness?? I tried a membership at Planet Fitness but after about a month I stopped going. It worked out fine when I was on M-F in the schools but since going back on patrol (nights 12hr shifts) I've found it VERY hard to lose weight. I'm 35, 5'6" 220lbs and I would like to lose like 20lbs at least. I just can't seem to find and stay motivated.

0730 - Get off of work
    0815- Arrive at home
    0830- Grab small breakfast
    0900 - 0915- Go to bed
    1300 - 1400- Wake up (depending on how I feel)
    1400 - 1700- Housework or whatever else I need to do
    1730 - 1830- Spend time with wife after she gets home
    1830 - Get ready for work
    1845 - 1850- Leave for work
    1930- Arrive at work (repeat)

I have a child on the way, due in Dec so my schedule WILL definitely change, but right now I have a small gap in my day for workouts in the 1400 - 1700 timeframe, but it's trying to find the motivation to do it, ya know? Maybe I have to alter my schedule beforehand...

Thanks!!
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

It may be difficult to fit exercise into your schedule on the days that you work...but you should be able to make up for it on your days off. No excuse then.

Also, if weight loss (as opposed to overall health/fitness) is your primary goal...it's all about calories in vs calories out. If you don't have time (or motivation) to burn extra calories...then just consume fewer calories and you'll end up with the same caloric deficit necessary for weight loss.

As for motivation...having a child on the way should make you want to live to 100...which means keeping fit and healthy.

Comment

Maybe hit the gym after or before work? I have 1 hr work commute. I like to take a pre work out after work, this keeps me awake on the drive. I sometimes hit the gym at 4am. I take a pre workout, it helps. I am in the gym for 1hr 15 minutes. If I hit the gym in the morning I have a healthy breakfast. It makes me feel good, like I accomplished something. 2 hours later the pre workout wears off. We have a 3 year old, he is a good kid, and lots of energy. I go to the gym to keep up with him.

If this isnt your first kid then you know it will be a little tough, especially on your wife. I am assuming she will be taking some leave? Offer to take the baby off her hands and let her take some time off. Maybe she can hit the gym too, let her blow off some steam. Not sure how much support you both will get from family, but I believe fitness will definitely help you both stay sane with a baby in the house. Congrats by the way.

Comment

Work out during the three hours between when you wake up and your wife gets home. A workout shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes or so.

If you feel too tired, start with doing a set of pushups, a set of pullups and a set of bodyweight squats - each set for max reps - as soon as you get up. Follow with a 30 minute walk at a brisk pace. That seemingly little bit will work wonders to boost your energy, plus it sets you up well for a full workout later in the day. Being that they are bodyweight, zero-impact exercises and you’re only doing one set, they shouldn’t have a negative effect on your regular workout.

Doing the same thing has worked very well for me.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I've started, so far, doing 10 pushups, crunches, and squats before and after bed. I'm also looking into maybe taking some martial arts classes to keep my interest up, to see if that helps motivate me (schedule pending,of course).

This is our first child, so right now we have no idea what we are in for,,, lol
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10945 users online. 404 members and 10541 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X