300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitive Running

I am just curious if anyone here on the board keeps running as a hobby or takes it far enough to compete in races? If so what are you in to? Track, cross country, road races, marathons (or half's) or do you just like getting out for some relaxing runs? Any PBs you care to share? Thanks!

I personally enjoy cross country running the best (7K-8K) then for track 2,000m steeplechase is my forte. Road races (5K-8K) keep me busy in the summer.

Thanks again.

-- Mike
    --"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
    --"Run XC"

I race. Mostly 5k and 10k distances. I wouldn't say that I'm "competative" especially at those distances. There's always that cadre of guys that can basically sprint the entire 5k. That's not me. I'm moving into the Half and Full marathon distances this year.

Years ago (when I was in the Army) I posted by PB for the mile at 4:10. I have never come close to hitting that speed again, and don't see it happening again. I'm more into enjoying the run, the camraderie of the running scene, and competing against myself with each race. My first race of the year is next week. I can't wait.

Edit: The only difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry form.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
      I race. Mostly 5k and 10k distances. I wouldn't say that I'm "competative" especially at those distances. There's always that cadre of guys that can basically sprint the entire 5k. That's not me. I'm moving into the Half and Full marathon distances this year.

Years ago (when I was in the Army) I posted by PB for the mile at 4:10. I have never come close to hitting that speed again, and don't see it happening again. I'm more into enjoying the run, the camraderie of the running scene, and competing against myself with each race. My first race of the year is next week. I can't wait.

Edit: The only difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry form.
      Man, I can only dream about even coming CLOSE to that number, and by close I mean like 2 minutes grace period...

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath
        Man, I can only dream about even coming CLOSE to that number, and by close I mean like 2 minutes grace period...

I know what you mean. Now days, I'm pleased as punch to hit a 6:00 minute mile. I'm much more comfortable in the 7:30 to 8:00 minute range now.

Comment

Hahahaha, that's absolutely amazing- 4:10 for the mile. The best I've hit is like 5:20-something on roads and that was tough! That little quote at the end about runners and joggers is hilarious too! Hahaha. Good luck on your upcoming race too eh. Is it a 5K?
          --"Run XC"

Comment

Yep, I'm starting the season with a nice little 5k. I'm not even worried about time, just want to get back into things. The long hard winters around here can really wreck havoc on your running.

Here's the full story of my 4:10 mile. I had always had a certain talent level for running but my high school didn't have track or cross country. I had run a 5:35 mile during gym class one time with no real training (thought I was going to die though.) The first real training I got on running was in Basic training. I was 18 (barely) and it was time for the final PT test. We had a 1 mile loop around the barracks and parade field that was used for the test. I kicked off with a bang and knew I was flying. I had stretched out way ahead and was feeling great. As I reached the one mile mark, I looked up at the big timer clock and nearly fell over. I promptly slowed down and ran the second mile at about a 8:30 pace. I'm more then twice that age now and know that it will be the high point of my running time.

Comment

Wow, that's pretty amazing! I need a moment like that or something before I graduate this year, haha.
              But I know what you mean about the winter messing up training because I was running 3:40/K during XC season, then winter hit and I just got knocked right out of routine and now am trying to get back into things and just be able to hit 4:00/K on my runs!
              Enjoy your 5K!

-- Mike
              --"Run XC"

Comment

I ran a few 5k's
                Mark
                Shaw JCC Karate Program website
                Shaw JCC Karate Program on myspace

Comment

Just kind of for training, or did you set some good times?
                  --"Run XC"

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
                    I know what you mean. Now days, I'm pleased as punch to hit a 6:00 minute mile. I'm much more comfortable in the 7:30 to 8:00 minute range now.
                    I'd be happy with that too. Haven't ran this year yet outdoors, so mostly tread, but running about 8:30 to 9:00 per now. Endurance doesn't seem to be the problem, but the beating my legs take. My calves usually tighten so after about a mile it starts to hurt.

Comment

I run cross country and distance track for my highschool. I'm glad I made the choice to become a runner. Weight training is something I can do on my own time, but running is something that I push myself the most when training with my peers on the team. I'm glad I found this hobby. My school's xc team races 5k's and in track I do the 1600 meter or the 3200 meter.
                      "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
                      Commissioned Police Officer
                      RLTW

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath
                        I'd be happy with that too. Haven't ran this year yet outdoors, so mostly tread, but running about 8:30 to 9:00 per now. Endurance doesn't seem to be the problem, but the beating my legs take. My calves usually tighten so after about a mile it starts to hurt.
                        I've had the problem from time to time. I built in a stretching workout a couple days a week, specifically targeting the lower legs. The stretching workout is done on either non-running days or easy run days. Its not an immediate fix, but it does help alot in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by xcrunner View Post
                          I run cross country and distance track for my highschool. I'm glad I made the choice to become a runner. Weight training is something I can do on my own time, but running is something that I push myself the most when training with my peers on the team. I'm glad I found this hobby. My school's xc team races 5k's and in track I do the 1600 meter or the 3200 meter.
                          That's pretty awesome xcrunner! What kind of PB's do you have?
                          --"Run XC"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4497 users online. 300 members and 4197 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X