Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running 101

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running 101

    I'm ready to start a-new.

    July fulltime academy is coming right around the corner, and I dont want to be one of the cadet that get g-quitted because of health and PT issues.

    I passed the P.A.T. at 6:00. I weighed 235 at 5'7. I'm thankful I still have a chance, and that I am not obessely overweight.

    I want to start the running process, I have the shoes, iPod 80GB, and waterbottle that attaches to my arm.

    What's first?
    Warm up
    Walking
    Jog
    Walking
    Quits ?

    I'd rather get it right the first time, than to think I'm doing it right, and see no results.

    Add: I also cut my soda out. I've been soda free since 2/22/07
    WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

  • #2
    Start out slow! The last thing you want to do is to begin training fast and end up hurt. Begin running two/three miles, three to four times a week, so your body has time to recover. As it becomes easier add distance as needed. Remember your not running a race, stay at a pace that your body's comfortable with. Also, make sure to take 10-15min before a run and stretch, this will help to prevent soreness.
    "Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 -1965) British Prime Minister.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks,

      Is running the only way to endurance train the lungs?
      WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

      Comment


      • #4
        check out the New Runners section at Cool Running.com

        They also have the couch to 5k program which has been discussed several times on here. I started it and loved it but had to stop because i got sick enough to knock me on my butt for 2 weeks. I have all intentions of starting again though. that can be found here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mystikal
          check out the New Runners section at Cool Running.com

          They also have the couch to 5k program which has been discussed several times on here. I started it and loved it but had to stop because i got sick enough to knock me on my butt for 2 weeks. I have all intentions of starting again though. that can be found here.
          Looks real interesting. Appreicate it.

          I'm excited, another stepping stone for me.
          WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

          Comment


          • #6
            First off, I will highly recommend the Couch to 5k program. It works wonders.

            If you're new to running, start off slow. The number one reason people stop running is because they start off too fast and too long. Start every run with at least a 5 minute warm-up walk. Begin with a standard walking pace and gradually ramp up to a brisk, fast walk for the warm-up. Then jog (not run) a short distance or time. 90 to 120 seconds is plenty. Then walk for a couple (2-3) minutes. Then repeat until you've done this walk run combo for 20 minutes. Then a nice cool down walk of at least five minutes.

            Each week, go a little bit longer on the run portion and shorten the walk portion a bit. For example, if you're doing 90 seconds running with 3 minutes walking for week one, then do 2 minutes running with 2 minutes walking for week two. Week three could be 3 or 4 minutes running with 90 to 120 seconds walking. Eventually, you'll be running the full 20 minutes without a break. It'll happen faster then you think.

            Lastly, let's talk pace. When you're just starting, slow is your freind. You should run at a pace that you could probably carry on a conversation with just a bit of effort. As you progress, you can pick up the intensity a little bit each week.

            Starting slow isn't just for your lungs, its for your legs. It gives them time to build up and adapt to the stressors that running causes. They will gradually become strong and capable. Done properly, you will almost never get shin splints or other compartment injuries.
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

            Comment


            • #7
              The soda thing is a pain, but you love the taste of diet over the taste of sugar after a while. Been soda free since 2/15/05, its a toughie. I like this Couch-5k Idea, cause I just end up thrashing myself twice a week, just grind my way down the road, got tired of that; And I didn't mean to bust in on this thread or anything, but I like hiking more than running, and I was wondering if I could get the same results by increasing my hiking distance, or trail difficulty? Not to mention its a good way to keep things social, ask my friends to go for a run and I get 50-50 results, bet everyone loves a good hike.

              Still manage to do 30minutes on a Exercise bike in my college gym, three days a week, run on weekends, but I'd rather get back into hiking, however, if hiking won't help, then I'm definately going to try for this couch-5k system. Not to mention in my sillliness, I never thought myself into running for time, might make it easier.

              Pro-Tip's appreciated.
              The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by WadsonF
                I passed the P.A.T. at 6:00.
                What is the P.A.T. ? What did it involve.

                I want to start the running process, I have the shoes, iPod 80GB, and waterbottle that attaches to my arm.

                What's first?
                Warm up
                Walking
                Jog
                Walking
                Quits ?
                First, get your running style analyzed. Find out if you run on the outside or inside edge of your foot - best case is, you do neither. Get shoes specially made for whatever kind of runner you are - roadrunnersports.com was a good site for this.

                Then, make sure your shoes are cushioned. 235lbs hitting the ground on each step is going to put alot of strain on your knees, ankles and feet.

                Warming up is a must - some kind of low impact activity to get the body temp up. Could be brisk walking. Stretching will also be important.

                What are your specific goals for your running training?
                Mark
                Shaw JCC Karate Program website
                Shaw JCC Karate Program on myspace

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SRT936
                  First off, I will highly recommend the Couch to 5k program. It works wonders.

                  If you're new to running, start off slow. The number one reason people stop running is because they start off too fast and too long. Start every run with at least a 5 minute warm-up walk. Begin with a standard walking pace and gradually ramp up to a brisk, fast walk for the warm-up. Then jog (not run) a short distance or time. 90 to 120 seconds is plenty. Then walk for a couple (2-3) minutes. Then repeat until you've done this walk run combo for 20 minutes. Then a nice cool down walk of at least five minutes.

                  Each week, go a little bit longer on the run portion and shorten the walk portion a bit. For example, if you're doing 90 seconds running with 3 minutes walking for week one, then do 2 minutes running with 2 minutes walking for week two. Week three could be 3 or 4 minutes running with 90 to 120 seconds walking. Eventually, you'll be running the full 20 minutes without a break. It'll happen faster then you think.

                  Lastly, let's talk pace. When you're just starting, slow is your freind. You should run at a pace that you could probably carry on a conversation with just a bit of effort. As you progress, you can pick up the intensity a little bit each week.

                  Starting slow isn't just for your lungs, its for your legs. It gives them time to build up and adapt to the stressors that running causes. They will gradually become strong and capable. Done properly, you will almost never get shin splints or other compartment injuries.

                  SRT is right on as usual. I would only add that after 3-4 weeks you need to add a higher intensity run to your week, Take one running session and start at the conversation pace for about 2-3 minutes, then step it up a little for 1 minute and again and again, then back it back down to the conversation level. Continue this for about 20 minutes with your next to last minute being as hard as you can possibly run. Don't do this for every workout, not for academy prep anyway, but this workout will build your speed and overall endurance as well as give you amental edge come timed run days.

                  I have trained at the basic academy for FLETC for a number of years and can tell you if you follow halp of what these guys are giving you you will be fine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by WadsonF
                    I'm ready to start a-new.


                    I passed the P.A.T. at 6:00. I weighed 235 at 5'7. I'm thankful I still have a chance, and that I am not obessely overweight.

                    Add: I also cut my soda out. I've been soda free since 2/22/07

                    Damn bro you are either bulked up huge or overweight. I'm guessing bulked up. Run at a smooth steady pace and increase distance..you will be fine

                    Soda is a great start...I have had maybe 5 in the last year. Cut out all fast food as well
                    Just shut your damn hole




                    Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      http://www.pytlik.com/escape/navyseals2.html

                      Well, I started week seven for the Seal workout today! It's tough, and it's going to get a lot harder but this is a GREAT workout for anyone trying to get in shape for the academy. I myself should be in the July academy and i want to be overprepared
                      Last edited by powertest; 04-10-2007, 10:46 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WadsonF
                        I'm ready to start a-new.

                        July fulltime academy is coming right around the corner, and I dont want to be one of the cadet that get g-quitted because of health and PT issues.

                        I passed the P.A.T. at 6:00. I weighed 235 at 5'7. I'm thankful I still have a chance, and that I am not obessely overweight.

                        I want to start the running process, I have the shoes, iPod 80GB, and waterbottle that attaches to my arm.

                        What's first?
                        Warm up
                        Walking
                        Jog
                        Walking
                        Quits ?

                        I'd rather get it right the first time, than to think I'm doing it right, and see no results.

                        Add: I also cut my soda out. I've been soda free since 2/22/07
                        235 lbs. 5'7". Academy starts in about 3 months.
                        75% of weight loss is based on eating. You need to be strict with your eating 24/7. Try to decrease body fat and begin the running process now.
                        Good luck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by juszczec
                          What is the P.A.T. ? What did it involve


                          First, get your running style analyzed. Find out if you run on the outside or inside edge of your foot - best case is, you do neither. Get shoes specially made for whatever kind of runner you are - roadrunnersports.com was a good site for this.

                          Then, make sure your shoes are cushioned. 235lbs hitting the ground on each step is going to put alot of strain on your knees, ankles and feet.

                          Warming up is a must - some kind of low impact activity to get the body temp up. Could be brisk walking. Stretching will also be important.

                          What are your specific goals for your running training?
                          Physical Abilities Test
                          :: LINK BELOW ::
                          http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/Pub...edures_PAT.htm


                          Originally posted by tripledouble
                          235 lbs. 5'7". Academy starts in about 3 months.
                          75% of weight loss is based on eating. You need to be strict with your eating 24/7. Try to decrease body fat and begin the running process now.
                          Good luck.
                          10-4. I'm not even that overweight, primarily muscle, but you can see areas on my chest that are fat. It's gross and No, I dont want it. I'll work it out.
                          WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            WOW


                            More and more energy.
                            WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by WadsonF
                              WOW


                              More and more energy.
                              Amazing how that works, isn't it?
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5271 users online. 266 members and 5005 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X