300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good bike

I'm looking at getting a bike to train on because I hate running. I want something under $500 and good for the road and paved paths. Any input would be great...thanks

I just purchased a Giant Sedona. It is outfitted for road and light trail use. It is described as a comfort bike because you sit more upright than with a typical road/trail bike. The bad news is I haven't gone on a good ride yet. Good news, can be had for around $300. I plan on a ride tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Comment

Do you want a new bike or a used bike?

I have a Gary Fisher Mountain Bike and a Fuji Roubaix Pro Road Bike. I bought the Fisher new a few years back and spent a littls over 300 and then I bought my road bike used this year and it is a few years old, but still in great shape for right at 400. Now with the road bike, I bought the clip on pedals and shoes, which help you get more effort out of your riding cause you are also pulling up on the up-stroke when you pedal. They are a little hard to get used to sometimes, but they are well worth it.

I am getting ready to do the Police Unity Tour in May. I have been running and riding a lot lately. My riding has improved my running as well! Talk to someone at a local bike shop if you have one, they seem to be helpful when trying to find exactly what you want.

If you know exactly what you want then check out the local classifieds or www.craigslist.org. Depending on your area, there is usually a lot of different bikes for sale. Another suggestion is check out to see if you city has a bike club and talk to some of those riders.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Good Luck!!!!

Comment

I have a Trek. They are expensive but you should be able to find one under $500. Mine is a mountain bike but they have all kinds of road bikes.

Trek Bikes
        "You know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

"I'm against gun control generally. You know, you check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue."

"The court [by overturning the D.C. gun ban] basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

Fred Thompson

Comment

Does bike riding actually translate over into running/endurance??

I have a stationary bike which I don't ride as much as I should and am wondering, after I've run my butt off to get to other officers, if it is even helping me at all.
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Now, this is just my personal opinion but I work out at the gym four days a week. I do the cardio which includes the treadmill, (3.5mph at a 6% incline), the ellipticals, and the bikes. I feel like the bikes are the easiest and I don't feel like I get as good a workout on them as I do the treadmill and elliptical. The bikes can get my heart rate up good if I put it on the program for hills but it still doesn't seem like it's that good. I occasionally run on the upstairs track and I alternate by walking a lap, running a lap. If I were you I would concentrate on the running part. Alternating walking with running is a good way to train according to my trainer. As you progress you will be running more than walking. Sitting on a bike pedaling is not the same as propelling your whole body weight forward the way you do when running.

After I do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio I do 30 minutes of weight training. I tone, not body build, so I don't do a lot of weight. I leg press 80lbs and lift 50lbs on the arm weights. I do abs and lower back on 50lbs.

I know I'm 52 years old but I'm in good shape. I can do my 30 minutes on the treadmill at a 6% incline, 3.5mph and never go over 125 on my heart rate. I don't even breathe hard. I have to run to reach my upper heart rate of 134. Another reason I alternate walking/running is to protect my knees. Most of my serious running is done in one of our hay fields to minimize impact on my knees.
            "You know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

"I'm against gun control generally. You know, you check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue."

"The court [by overturning the D.C. gun ban] basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

Fred Thompson

Comment

I just started bicycling about a month ago and I love it. I don't have the shock to my knees, and I can push my legs harder than when I run. I find it very hard to push myself to run because I think it's very boring. If I had to buy a new bike I would honestly just go down to WalMart and find one you like. I am using my wife's bike that was stored in her garage. It was probably in there for a few years and I know it wasn't one of the $300-500 ones. The bike I have was probably $150, but it still kicks butt and i've never had any problems with it.
              "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Bike riding is an excellent cardio exercise and is much easier on your knees than running. I don't advocate running at all. That is why when I do run I run in a hay field or if it's at the track I keep it to a minimum. I see a lot of young people having knee replacements these days. A man I work with is only 42 and is having both of his replaced in a couple of months.

I just doubt that bike riding will help a lot with running. LEO's don't have a choice whether they run or not so they must train to run. The bike riding will help with the cardio and raise endurance but it takes a lot more endurance to run than it does to ride, in my experience, and I do both.

There is nothing wrong with a Wal-Mart bike. I bought my husband one that was nearly $200 and he has never ridden it. The only thing to look out for is to be sure and check the assembly. They hire kids to assemble them and you wouldn't believe some of the unsafe things I've seen. Always re-tighten everything! LOL

Fred Thompson

Comment

I have a Specialized "rock hopper" it costs about $350.00 but it was well worth it. I recommend Specialized as a top brand for any sort of biking, road or off road. You can find those at a Scheels or Dick's Sporting Goods, or any type of Bike Store. Just my opinion
                  in sickness...or in health..devoted!

Comment

I bought my husband a Gary Fisher, which is a good mountain bike, for about $325 at the local bike shop.

As far as biking helping you with running, I think it does help. I'm not talking about casual pedaling around the block or riding a stationary bike either. I'm talking about riding at least 15-20 miles at a 15-18mph pace. This will get your heart rate up to keep your bike going that speed. Also, if you have one of the bike trainers that has different tension settings these are great for when the weather is bad. I ride hard on my trainer early morning before work. I ride for about 20 minutes at the 3 level of tension, which does not sound like a lot, but on that trainer it is more difficult than actually riding on the road. It does help with the endurance as well, but I also think if you are pushing yourself and maintaining the speed then it helps build muscle as well. I've been riding hard for a few months to train for the PUT and just started running again this week. (I HATE running, but I am getting ready to take another PAT and I have to run.) I can sprint fine, but hate distance running, well when I started out on my 1.5 miler it was not too bad. I finished it about 1:30 over the time I need. Which, last year when I was just running my time was more like 3:30 over !!! I ran again yesterday and I had cut off another 45 seconds. I know some of it is the running that is helping, but some of it is the biking as well.

I am a cop and I chase kids around the school on a daily basis as a SRO. I will take any and all excersie I can do, plus biking is so much more fun!

JUST MY OPINION!!

Comment

Originally posted by cdz28
                      I'm looking at getting a bike to train on because I hate running. I want something under $500 and good for the road and paved paths. Any input would be great...thanks

If you look at bikes at around 500 bucks you can easily get a middle of the road Mountain bike. 500 bucks will get you a cheap road bike that to be honest isn't going to be fun riding. Getting a used road bike may be an option however, I would not buy one sight unseen. Get on it and ride it before you fork over the money. If you are going to be serious about riding you will be happy you spent a little more and got better quailty stuff then going cheap and then trying to fix it every couple 100 miles. If you get addicted to cycling (pinch the tires before you pinch the wife) Then i'd look into getting a bike that upgrades will be easy to make. Many of the store bought bikes(wal-mart, sears, toy R us, etc...) are not made for people that will be riding them all the time and many of the components are not good quality. So you will end up upgrading to better parts and many times those bikes are not made where upgrading is possible.

before you shop check out websites, and do some research on the bikes. Now bikes are like cars. their are many options to them that can add 100's of dollars to the price of the bike. I would check out Gary Fisher bikes. fisherbikes.com, trekbikes.com, performancebikes.com, specialized.com,giant-bicycles.com, konaworld.com, cannondale.com. this will get you started. research and know what you want. Just like most places the biking world has its on language. if you learn a little of it you can help yourself find a better bike. Hardtail is a mountain bike with no rear suspension. Full suspension is just what it means. I ended up buying a 800 dollar gary fisher and have put about 1000 into it. Most of it due to accidents and regular wear and tear. However, I am setting up a riding schedule to where I will ride about 4500 miles this year.

Speaking of riding. If you are only riding around and not putting any effort in while riding. You will not increase your aerobic capacity. Now if you ride as long as you can as fast as you can. then you will get some aerobic benefit out of it. To be honest I would rather ride 100 miles then run 2 miles. I barely run and I can still pass the Illinois power tests Mile and half run in 10-12 minutes. last one I ran was 12:04 and I didn't run for a month but I have been going to spin class and riding the spin bikes for an hour a day for cardio. However, to increase your aerobic thershold you need to strengthen your legs. Usually new riders don't have the WATTS(bike talk for power) to ride fast enough or long enough to make a difference. Also, in alot of cases the newbie gets butt pain and stops. Believe me the more you ride the less pain you will get. So if you want a cardio workout just ride fast and long and you will see a difference in your running. For people that live by hills or mountains try riding up the mountain pass as fast as you can and do that for a month then go for a mile run and see how fast you can do it. You'll beat your fastest time!!! I live outside of chicago and their are parts around that have rolling roads and I make a point to always ride those areas everytime I ride. At the beginning of last year I was only able to keep a 12-14 Mph pace through that stretch of road. in nov when I road it last. it was 17-19 mph through that same stretch. It's about about a 6 mile strectch that has about 3 miles of 8 percent road grade. Now on a road bike and if I was a professional that should be done at 25-35 mph depending on if its a time trial or just normal race pace in the peleton( the majority of riders in a group in the race)
                      Last edited by livestrong6; 04-11-2007, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Used to sell bikes, listen here!

Brand name is less important than the STYLE of bike. Just about any major brand that is sold at a bike retailer (not Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) would be a fine choice.

I can definitely say the style of bike you want is a hybrid. If you're sticking to mostly paved roads or gentle dirt/gravel trails, you don't need the big knobby tires or ridiculous suspension of a mountain bike, they will just slow you down. Many fans of mountain bikes just like them because they are more comfortable than fancy road bikes, and they don't realize there is anything in between. A hybrid will be MUCH more fun and comfortable to ride than anything else out there.

And if it is fun and comfortable, you will have more motivation to get out and use it.

Since exercise is a big motivation for you, I HIGHLY recommend a speedometer for your bike. That little screen motivates you like you would not believe. It makes you want to go faster and faster, which will help make sure you're actually getting a workout.

And don't worry too much about if the seat is comfortable at first. Now matter what kind of seat it is, it will probably be uncomfortable the first few times you ride, but you will get used to it fast. Don't waste your money on a ridiculously over-padded gel seat, they just wear out faster and lose their shape quickly.

Comment

If the seat seems too hard u can always get the gel slip on cover. I bought one at Target for 15 bucks and it has made the seat alot more bearable.

On a side note, can someone who does ALOT of biking answer a quick question for me? I have a friend at work who says he did 60mph on a bike down a mountain one time. This guy is probably about 250lbs and about 5'8", and isn't small by any means and i'm not talking about muscular. Me and my other buddy called BS, but the guy swears it happened, is this possible?
                          "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
                            If the seat seems too hard u can always get the gel slip on cover. I bought one at Target for 15 bucks and it has made the seat alot more bearable.

On a side note, can someone who does ALOT of biking answer a quick question for me? I have a friend at work who says he did 60mph on a bike down a mountain one time. This guy is probably about 250lbs and about 5'8", and isn't small by any means and i'm not talking about muscular. Me and my other buddy called BS, but the guy swears it happened, is this possible?

It's possible professionals will get up to 50-70 mph on decents down moutains. However, if it was a mountain bike on a dirt path I really don't see that happening. He might of added 20-30 mph on his guess. If he had a computer hooked up and it showed 60 I would probably check to see if it was set up right. That had to be a pretty steep mountian and a very long straight decent.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4787 users online. 290 members and 4497 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X