300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushups

Ok lets get techincal here. What muscles are used when doing pushups? The reason I ask is because my PAT is in two weeks. My pushups were right where they needed to be 2 months ago. Now They are down by 10. My work out has changed but I still have been doing pushups. I guess just not enough. I started working really hard on my run and my abs after my mock PAT now my pushups have suffered. I belive my triceps are the culprit. How can I get my pushup back in line. And do more pushups is not working. I have been doing as many as I can in the last two weeks reps till failure and no better. HELP PLEASE
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Do a variety of pushups. Widearm, close hand, regular. And do them often, during my academy we did 40 p/u and 40 s/u on every break (once an hour) and tons in PT and formation. Just keep on doing them and you will improve greatly. I know this helped me.
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Comment

as for the muscles which are used in the basic pushup, pecs, tri's, shoulders are the main ones. i agree with fuzz that you should do different pushups, also try doing them on a swiss ball, very hard but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigj8550
        Ok lets get techincal here. What muscles are used when doing pushups? The reason I ask is because my PAT is in two weeks. My pushups were right where they needed to be 2 months ago. Now They are down by 10. My work out has changed but I still have been doing pushups. I guess just not enough. I started working really hard on my run and my abs after my mock PAT now my pushups have suffered. I belive my triceps are the culprit. How can I get my pushup back in line. And do more pushups is not working. I have been doing as many as I can in the last two weeks reps till failure and no better. HELP PLEASE
        listen to the other guys, but add static holds. Go close to the floor, a few inches off, and hold it, as long as you can. Repeat. Those will make the muscular endurance improve, thus improving the number you'd be able to achieve.

Comment

Work with a deck of cards using all the above advice. If you turn a number card do that many push ups, face cards 15, aces 20 (or some variation.) Mix up your hand positions, feet up on a chair, etc. For the lower numbers do slow/concentrated reps (2-3 seconds down... 2-3 seconds up.) Works for me and helps to mix things up a little. If you can't do anymore push ups take a break and do sit ups, lunges, squats, etc. Push yourself to work through the deck. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bigj8550
            How can I get my pushup back in line. And do more pushups is not working. I have been doing as many as I can in the last two weeks reps till failure and no better. HELP PLEASE
            Do more pushups is the answer. What you want to do is perform multiple sets of pushups in a workout.

So you max out at 20, for example. Do 20 push-ups. Then, take five minutes off. Then, do as many as you can. Probably less than 20. Stop. Take another five minute break. Then, do as many as you can. Stop. repeat. You could alter your hand positions for each set.
            Good luck.

Comment

I do mine during my runs outdoors.

I run 4-6 miles 3 days a week and stop 4 times during each run. Right now I am at 60 each stop. I increase by 10 once it becomes rather easy.

I do 2 variations of inclined. 1 on a bench and the other on a rock while varying hand position.

The only real way to increase them is to do them
              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

If your PAT wasnt in 2 weeks I would say to "grease the groove"-it works! But continue to do them and as mentioned, mix it up, to see better results.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I have been doing anywhere from 10-20 pushups per set. About 3 sets per night I will up it to 6 sets per night. How much is to much? I think I hit to much this weekend. B/C My shoulders , neck and tri's are killing me today and sunday!!!
                  Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                  You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
                  "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
                  Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Here's one that one of my old 1SG's told me..

Because we were always trying to max out the points on the APFT. You do them on the stairs. Start at the tallest step you can still get into a "correct possition" on. Then max out. Even if you only do 20 normal push-ups you'll still do 70+ on the top step. Then take a quick break and go down a step and max out again. Keep going down until your on the ground.. You might not be able to do one by then. lol.

It might sound crazy, but it works! This is not strength training this is muscle memory training. You do 100+ push-ups on the highest step(BE SURE TO USE PROPER FORM) and your musscles "think they can do 100+" of coarse they can't but you won't stop at your minds WALL of 35 or whatever.

This training is intended to get you to do more max reps on your test. And it works fast...
                    sigpic

Comment

I max out at 30. i started out only able to do 5. i don't have very much arm strength. but I think the advice here is just to keep doing them and to change up the way you do them. My recruiter told me to do as many as you can in sets of 3 and pump out two or three. I'm using this method but currently i'm stuck at 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Westelp
                        I max out at 30. i started out only able to do 5. i don't have very much arm strength. but I think the advice here is just to keep doing them and to change up the way you do them. My recruiter told me to do as many as you can in sets of 3 and pump out two or three. I'm using this method but currently i'm stuck at 30.
                        your mind in this instance will be your biggest obstacle. You need to understand that you must also rest the muscle and allow it to recuperate from the damage you have incurred. Your chest, triceps, and shoulders will not become stronger unless you rest them. Don't do sets of three, attempt a maximum number to see where you truly are, then go back to your sets. Again, don't let your mind dictate where your body will stop
                        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

or how about a pyramid system?
                          the original poster stated he would focus on abs and what not for a while, lose strength when it was time for pushups... so with all of that, try using a pyramid system with pullups, pushups, situps... it should make a world of difference...

for instance once you get to the top of the pyramid you will be doing 6 pullups, 12 pushups and 18 situps... then go back down...

also you stated your tri's may be the reason for your slack pushup performance. if thats the case, start doing diamond pushups...

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73
                            You need to understand that you must also rest the muscle and allow it to recuperate from the damage you have incurred. Your chest, triceps, and shoulders will not become stronger unless you rest them.
                            I don't think this can be overstated. This is, in my experience, nearly as important as the consistancy in a workout routine. Muscles grow and become stronger by breaking down and then building up. If you are not resting them, you will be breaking down and breaking down and breaking down...but never allowing them time to build up. This is commonly why some people, when they OVER-train, they will actually see a decrease in bench press or inability to do the same amount of pushups that they could do previously.

Also, someone mentioned the routine using the stairs (do LOTS of reps on a high stair to give less resistance, and work your way down the stairs, increasing resistance) - fantastic idea. There has actually been science coming out in the last few years talking about how much of a role the mind and nervous system really does play in muscular strength AND endurance. The idea that you can make your mind accustomed to doing higher reps and making that translate into results is quite real. Give it a whirl!
                            "You can just go ahead and common sense your way out of this conundrum!"

Comment

Originally posted by GentleGiant
                              I don't think this can be overstated. This is, in my experience, nearly as important as the consistancy in a workout routine. Muscles grow and become stronger by breaking down and then building up. If you are not resting them, you will be breaking down and breaking down and breaking down...but never allowing them time to build up. This is commonly why some people, when they OVER-train, they will actually see a decrease in bench press or inability to do the same amount of pushups that they could do previously.

Also, someone mentioned the routine using the stairs (do LOTS of reps on a high stair to give less resistance, and work your way down the stairs, increasing resistance) - fantastic idea. There has actually been science coming out in the last few years talking about how much of a role the mind and nervous system really does play in muscular strength AND endurance. The idea that you can make your mind accustomed to doing higher reps and making that translate into results is quite real. Give it a whirl!
                              Ditto to the rest advice. Don't do push ups all day every day. Do a good push up routine in the evening or something and then take a day or two off. Make sure you're getting sleep and drinking lots of water. When I do push ups I don't have a set routine or anything but I'll usually do 30 regular, rest a few minutes then incline my feet up and do 20 or so, rest, do 20 on level ground. Something like that. Try spreading your arms out further to target different muscles. Putting your hands closer together will work your triceps harder. Make sure you aren't cheating yourself. Make sure you're feeling every rep. Don't try to rush and push out a bunch of half assed push ups. If you concentrate on working the muscles and doing it properply you'll strengthen your body in result conditioning your muscles to be able to do more reps.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4163 users online. 254 members and 3909 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X