300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try P90X?

I happened to see an infomercial for a workout system called P90X the other day. Anyone try it before? Comments/concerns/results? Is it something that is good for this profession? I found some comments on it on other sites, but I was looking to get an opinion on its relevance to law enforcement. It seems to be a good overall routine for core fitness, and seems to keep it exciting/varied. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

I hear it is a pretty good system from 2 people I know. It has a conditioning element, which is very necessary for law enforcement and is not intended to build bulky muscle. However, it is a bit pricey and unless you need someone to follow step by step, I might recommend something cheaper. You ever do any training before?
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by bunsen382
      I happened to see an infomercial for a workout system called P90X the other day. Anyone try it before? Comments/concerns/results? Is it something that is good for this profession? I found some comments on it on other sites, but I was looking to get an opinion on its relevance to law enforcement. It seems to be a good overall routine for core fitness, and seems to keep it exciting/varied. Thanks ahead of time for the input.
      That the power 90 system? If so, it's okay. Not much different than say tae-bo. A good personal trainer can break down what you really need to focus on exercise and muscle wise when related to your job. Obviously, running, conditioning, muscular endurance, leaping ability, etc are all important.

Comment

There is no reason to pay to learn how to train, especially just to learn a program of exercises. There is an unbelievable amount of information at your fingertips for free.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by Marky Mark
          Crossfit is free, and will whip you into shape fast. If you can hack it....

www.crossfit.com
          true statement.
          www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I've been training for about a year and a half now (in hopes of someday getting a job in the field). Mostly just sticking to the basics (running, push/pull/sit-ups, etc. I've found that I've kinda hit a plateau at this point, and am looking for something to push me over the edge. I have checked out crossfit before, however I don't have or have access to a lot of the equipment required. What caught my eye about this one is that you "need only a pull up bar, and a dumbell set or resistance band". I do appreciate the input from everyone.

Comment

The P90X website for those who have never seen it infomercial. Ive wondered this myself as i'm about 22 and 30 miles respectively in either direction from the 24hr fitness im a member of and sometimes the motivation to drive that far just isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                The P90X website for those who have never seen it infomercial. Ive wondered this myself as i'm about 22 and 30 miles respectively in either direction from the 24hr fitness im a member of and sometimes the motivation to drive that far just isn't there.
                Well you really dont need a commercial gym to get into shape (in fact, I discourage it). Use that cash for the membership to get some stuff for the house (dumbbells, kettlebells, pullup bar-more can be added later). Check ebay, yard sales and newspaper for cheap equipment. You will find that you can save $$$$ over the long run and will always have the equipment needed. I highly recommend www.rosstraining.com 's books. Best $ I ever spent towards fitness.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Maybe we can give this thread a little re-direct...I spent some time checking out the website (thanks brown), and a thought came to my head. What are some things I can create from household products that can help in my training. For example, on the rosstraining site, he made a sled out of a snow sled, weights (rocks/sandbags) and a piece of rope. Are their other suggestions from you creative minds out there?

Comment

Hey man, this is pretty much THE site to building your own equipment. Plenty of different things, with instructions.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenand...unt/grunt.html

Also, crossfit's boards sometimes have equipment building suggestions, Ross' book Infinite Intensity has a section on how to make your own dumbbells (among others).

You also may want to think about making a sandbag. You can increase the weight super cheap (just more sand and ziplocks). You can do just about any barbell move with it-presses, curls, squats, etc. Here is a link to construction instructions.

http://www.warriorforce.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf
                    Last edited by brownj21; 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

P90X (and other Beachbody routines)

Hi!

I wanted to take a second to talk to all of you about P90X, since its come up as a topic of conversation. First, I'de like to share with you that I've been a patrol officer for just over 12 years, and I currently work for the City of Champaign in Illinois. I'm also the Police Officer that appears in the P90X commercial (The Mother of ALL the Power 90 workouts).

I've been using Beachbody workouts and supplements (they produced P90X) for just over 5 years now, and I can honestly tell you that at 37, I'm in the best shape of my life because of them.

Like many of you who will be reading this can relate, I spent years in the gym, running on the treadmill, lifting weights, and doing all of the other workouts that many of us learned from other cops, or picked up through reading magazines.

I had also fallen victim to the crappy diet that comes from doing our shift work and stopping in the local Qwickie Mart to tank up on coffee and other sugary garbage to make it through the shift. I literally spent years spinning my wheels with workouts and an eating plan (or lack thereof) that took me no-where fast!

Well, I'm here to share with all of you that the Beachbody workouts really do work. In just about an hour a day, and following the included eating guides, I managed to take myself from an out of shape 224 lbs and 18% bodyfat, down to a ripped and highly fit 167 and 4%. (I lost 40 lbs with my first Beachbody workout, Power 90).

These programs are not about fancy gimmicks or "lose weight fast" diet pills, or contraptions that just don't work! They are about sound exercises, coupled with a healthy diet. And they work! The results I obtained from doing these workouts can be attained by anyone that is willing to put in the time and eat clean. That's it!

We all recognize in our line of work that its essential to stay in shape. Well, Beachbody offers a whole line of workouts that you do right in your own home! (And they have something for EVERYBODY, regardless of your current level of fitness). They also offer online support through message boards, and even an online gym called WOWY (workout with you) to help you stay accountable on those days when you don't feel like doing it.

You owe it to yourself to check it out. If your sick and tired of being sick and tired of boring workouts with minimal results, give it a try. If you want to read more about my story, check out my webpage at www.milliondollarbody.com/mdbriggs , or feel free to email me at md_briggs@hotmail.com

Train hard and stay safe!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MD_Briggs
                        Hi!

I wanted to take a second to talk to all of you about P90X, since its come up as a topic of conversation. First, I'de like to share with you that I've been a patrol officer for just over 12 years, and I currently work for the City of Champaign in Illinois. I'm also the Police Officer that appears in the P90X commercial (The Mother of ALL the Power 90 workouts).

I've been using Beachbody workouts and supplements (they produced P90X) for just over 5 years now, and I can honestly tell you that at 37, I'm in the best shape of my life because of them.

Like many of you who will be reading this can relate, I spent years in the gym, running on the treadmill, lifting weights, and doing all of the other workouts that many of us learned from other cops, or picked up through reading magazines.

I had also fallen victim to the crappy diet that comes from doing our shift work and stopping in the local Qwickie Mart to tank up on coffee and other sugary garbage to make it through the shift. I literally spent years spinning my wheels with workouts and an eating plan (or lack thereof) that took me no-where fast!

Well, I'm here to share with all of you that the Beachbody workouts really do work. In just about an hour a day, and following the included eating guides, I managed to take myself from an out of shape 224 lbs and 18% bodyfat, down to a ripped and highly fit 167 and 4%. (I lost 40 lbs with my first Beachbody workout, Power 90).

These programs are not about fancy gimmicks or "lose weight fast" diet pills, or contraptions that just don't work! They are about sound exercises, coupled with a healthy diet. And they work! The results I obtained from doing these workouts can be attained by anyone that is willing to put in the time and eat clean. That's it!

We all recognize in our line of work that its essential to stay in shape. Well, Beachbody offers a whole line of workouts that you do right in your own home! (And they have something for EVERYBODY, regardless of your current level of fitness). They also offer online support through message boards, and even an online gym called WOWY (workout with you) to help you stay accountable on those days when you don't feel like doing it.

You owe it to yourself to check it out. If your sick and tired of being sick and tired of boring workouts with minimal results, give it a try. If you want to read more about my story, check out my webpage at www.milliondollarbody.com/mdbriggs , or feel free to email me at md_briggs@hotmail.com

Train hard and stay safe!

Mark
                        No offense, but even READS like an info-mercial. This is the internet, if you can't find a way to train for free then there is nothing that can save you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marky Mark
                          Crossfit is free, and will whip you into shape fast. If you can hack it....

www.crossfit.com
                          Good idea, might have to try it out!

Comment

P90x

Aftermath,

No offense taken. Bunsen had asked if anyone had tried P90X, so I was really responding to that question. It wasn't about "is there something free that works", but more of "does it work?".....the resounding answer to that is YES.

Those interested in learning more about P90X should check it out.....those that are happy with what they're already doing, keep doing it.

I know that we, as cops, are very skeptical of most things. I'm just sharing my success with the program and passing on that its for real.

Mark

Comment

I realize this thread is old but I don't know if you guys go the answers you were looking for so I thought I would share my experience...

I HATE infomercials. I cannot stand some of the stuff they sell and I am very skeptical of ANY infomercial about getting rich quick, or lose weight quick. P90x is the first one ever that I broke down and made the purchase. Let me explain...

When I decided to become a trooper, I was 278 lbs. I did a few things to try and get off the weight. For one, I started running, doing pushups and situps. That's all I did. I lost some weight. Nothing significant yet, but I lost some. I bought P90X and I started doing the workouts as much as I could. Mind you, I was in horrible shape from eating and being fat when I started all of this. I couldn't run a quarter mile without getting winded and I could barely do 20 pushups.

Well, over a period of about 6 months, I went from 278 lbs to around 235. This was because of running and P90X. I was around that weight of 235 when I started the academy. By the time I was done, I was at 206. right now, I'm back to 220 but it's muscle now. I have been lifting, using p90x and still running like mad. I am in the best shape of my life and I'm nearly 37 years old.

I can't say it'll work for everyone, but for me, it worked. I don't report in to them, and i don't do all of the documenting they want you to do while going through the program. I also don't care about 6 pack abs. I just start at the beginning again once I get through the 90 days. I keep it going and it's worked great. Now I can run 3-4-5 miles without issue and I'm stronger than ever, for me.

Here are some pictures before I chose to lose the weight...around may 2006

Ok, and here are the pics after. the first one is of me in the academy...june 07 right before graduation...

and one more...

Me, dad and sis.

I don't like to post pictures but I figured I would do it this time just to get the point across. I won't leave them up long, but you get the idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10999 users online. 431 members and 10568 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X