300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Crossfit recommendations?

Would anyone recommend Crossfit? I'm not out of shape just need to be in BETTER shape.

Be very careful. There are a lot of Cro$$fit coaches who aren't really qualified to be coaching, and who cause a lot of injuries in members. IMNSHO, if someone doesn't have eight to 10 years of training under their belt, they don't have the experience to train others. Buying a certificate at a weekend seminar does not make a coach.

Plus, their rates are usually exorbitant. $150 a month for a gym membership, and you have to work out in a group on their schedule? Get real. For that price, the gym better be open 24/7, have a pool, basketball, a full line of free weights, machines, cardio and pristine locker rooms, plus truly qualified trainers.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
      Be very careful. There are a lot of Cro$$fit coaches who aren't really qualified to be coaching, and who cause a lot of injuries in members. IMNSHO, if someone doesn't have eight to 10 years of training under their belt, they don't have the experience to train others. Buying a certificate at a weekend seminar does not make a coach.

Plus, their rates are usually exorbitant. $150 a month for a gym membership, and you have to work out in a group on their schedule? Get real. For that price, the gym better be open 24/7, have a pool, basketball, a full line of free weights, machines, cardio and pristine locker rooms, plus truly qualified trainers.
      Yea I just need a trainer and I like being in a class type of environment and not having to worry about changing up the work outs-they do that for me lol

Comment

Have you considered HIIT? High Intensity Interval training? Usually, the exercises are simpler and it's less jerky than CrossFit. It can be done at home and is excellent cardio. There are lots of bodyweight HIIT routines too.

Comment

No, CF is for IG bros. Buy starting strength by Mark Rippetoe and start at the bottom. Add HIIT sprints/row/walking whatever to your third workout of the week after lifting. Eat a **** ton of protein. You'll be good to go.
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-07-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• NCG128
              NCG128 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the in put! I was actually thinking the same thing! I’m like 155 now and 5’7. I’m in average shape just want to be like 140-160 of muscle. So I was doing quite a bit of research.

As someone mentioned, Starting Strength is an excellent program! However, so is CrossFit. Yes, CrossFit methodology uses "jerky" motions as someone else mentioned, but those jerky motions correlate better into real life scenarios (e.g., jerking your body up and over a fence). No one is going to spring to a fence, do a slow latissimus dorsi contraction to then, slowly concentrate an tricep extension to muscle up and over the fence...

CrossFit is absolutely safe. If you injure yourself using CrossFit concepts. It's your own damn fault. Correct form is correct form.

Comment

A lot of new Cro$$fitters don’t know how to do cleans, snatches and such. It’s up to the coaches to train proper technique, and a lot of them are not qualified to do that. A year of group workouts, a weekend seminar and a credit card do not make a coach.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• MitnaSean
                MitnaSean commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, that is an accurate statement. Of course paying for a weekend cert isn’t enough to determine credibility of the trainer. Though just so you are aware, damn near all (if not all) training certs these day are in a weekend and have a small written test that follows....not too sure what you are getting at here with CrossFit trainers are somehow less credible than a Globo gym trainer...

Very few trainers are qualified. I don’t think anyone who hasn’t been training themselves for at least 10 years, and looks like it, has any business training others.

Comment

[..................
                Last edited by SHU; 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• MitnaSean
                  MitnaSean commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm calling BS on you. Your opinion is baseless. If you injure yourself, you didn't use correct form. If you are competing at any high level in any sport and over use a muscle you always run into a risk of injury. But hey, its your body, try zumba next time... I hear great things.

Last edited by SHU; 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• MitnaSean
                  MitnaSean commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lol I'm a grown man with a family. You on the other hand, go take your 2947 posts and continue to eat your Cheetos at your computer picking your belly button. Hey, if you continue to have no life, maybe you'll be up to 5k posts by the end of the year.

Originally posted by MitnaSean View Post
                As someone mentioned, Starting Strength is an excellent program! However, so is CrossFit. Yes, CrossFit methodology uses "jerky" motions as someone else mentioned, but those jerky motions correlate better into real life scenarios (e.g., jerking your body up and over a fence). No one is going to spring to a fence, do a slow latissimus dorsi contraction to then, slowly concentrate an tricep extension to muscle up and over the fence...

CrossFit is absolutely safe. If you injure yourself using CrossFit concepts. It's your own damn fault. Correct form is correct form.

Excellent explanation. CrossFit is safe as every sport. You need to learn the correct form. I have a lot of CrossFit friends, and they have strength near regular bodybuilder. So don't be stupid and make weird forms and break your back. Watch videos, ask coaches for advice, and learn technique first, before going for more weights.

I have no idea why so many people make fun of CrossFit. It's a good sport, and you gain strength, muscle mass and stamina.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10507 users online. 520 members and 9987 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X