personal best
    push ups 1 min 30 “good ones” 40 if I go very fast
    sit ups 1 min 40
    1.5 run 11:28
    3 mile 24:18

i I maybe entering an academy in 1.5-2 months the graduation standards are
    situps 45(1 min)
    push ups 41 (1min)
    1.5 run 10:59 for my age group the run is 11:22 but want to be near 10.

I have done 1.5 in 11:27-11:40 a few times but that’s giving EVERYTHING I’m mostly concerned about the run and sit ups. , but I’m following a navy seal workout for pushups and sit ups,
    When I was following a “plan “ I was doing the following
    Monday 3 miles easy
    wednesday 6 x 1/4 sprints
    Friday 1 hr run @ least 6 miles

i followed this for two weeks straight then ran 2 miles @ a 7:40 pace (fastest I ran 2 miles did another 2 mile @ a 7:55 pace) my 1.5 was still in 11 range what gives lol. I’m going to go back to intervals soon. Shins splints , flat feet & tight calf’. Make running 5 days a week very difficult, most I have run is 4 days in a row 3 miles each day but I had to take a full week off . I run almost exclusively on concrete so that might explain it , run in Pegasus , have costume Orthopediacs. My biggest concern is being able to run more (5 days a week) & lower my 1.5. I’m going to keep running 3 days a week for the time being. I can remember only once I was able to run 5 miles one day and 4 the next typically my legs are trashed and I need more then 2 days off.

You gotta beat those shin splints. There ar elots of great exercises you can do to strengthen those calves and it really works wonders. I'm a big guy and live and die by shin splits.

With situps have you tried adding like ten pounds to your body? You'd be amazed how much lighter you'll feel after 1 week of weighted situps. Also mix in a lot of planks and you'll see a big difference.

Comment

I have been doing 5x 20 push ups and sit ups for two weeks.im following a program. I have a 10lb weight plate but was going to hold off on weights for a few more weeks. When doing planks my shoulders and forearms hurt a ton lol

Comment

Instead of 5x20 pushups, do one set failure twice a day. Same with situps. Those are non-impact exercises, and as long are you aren't in the 75+ reps per set range, you should have ample recovery ability to do that every day. If you start to feel burned out, switch to one set every other day for a few days, then go to one set a day for a week, then back to the original.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

A few weeks ago I did 3 sets of push ups max reps for 1 min instead of 5x20. I was definitely more spent doing max in a minute I had to do them very fast though lol.
          set 1 - 48
          set 2 - 32
          set 3- 30
          should I use a 10lb weight while doing push ups & sit ups or not?, I’m leaning towards yes im goin to plank with as well & do Russian twist with kettlebell.

I have been doing push ups & sit ups for two weeks

week 1 - 4x15 push ups five days a week
          4x 20 sit ups five days a week

week 2- 5x20 push ups five days a week
          5x 20 sit ups five days a week

academy standards PROJECTED academy start date MAY 13

push ups 45 - 1 minite
          sit ups 41 - 1 minute
          1.5 - 10:59 ( fastest I have done it 11:28 , that’s almost dying have done it a few times but I have to mentally prepare cuz I know it’s going to be killer)

I’m going to do 1 minute of max sit ups and push ups five days straight alternating one day with weight another without . I’m hoping five days of working out isn’t tooo much but I feel good . Any advice would be appreciated

Comment

What I suggested will work for just about anyone.

If you have to do 40+ pushups, then doing sets of 15 in training will never get you there. Adding weight will make you stronger, but won't train you for high reps.

I gather that you might be new to working out. You have to grok nutrition and healthy habits as much as you do training. And because it's a lifelong matter, that makes fitness a marathon, not a sprint. Don't try to make rapid changes or improvements, but do it smartly, incrementally and for the long term.

Six weeks before the academy is at least a year late to start training. Anyone else who is in the process or thinking of applying to a department, start getting in shape at least a year before the start date. Fitness is not just a test to pass, never to be done again. Lord knows our profession has enough fat slobs. Fitness should be as much a part of your essence as is breathing.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I’m in pretty decent shape I knocked out 40 sit ups in a min 33 push ups in a min & a 11:28 1.5 for a pat last year .I’ll stick to three sets to failure of push ups and sit ups each set with a 1 minute time frame. Last week for push ups I did sets of 48,32,30 then sit ups for a min and back to push ups , yesterday I was able to do 52, 41 ( more then a minute) last set only able to do 30 then I stayed in front lean position until timer finished. Should I use a 10 lb weight room r stick to jut body weight for now ,? first & second week I worked out Monday to Friday , this week cutting down to 3 days a week ( don’t want to burn out) thanks for input

Comment

Stick to bodyweight. You're being graded on how many bodyweight pushups you can do. The best way to train for that is to do bodyweight pushups. Planking won't make much difference if you are doing good, productive pushups. Back straight, feet together, nose, chest and pecker touch the floor at the same time, push up until arms are fully locked out. None of that half-rep stuff, no looking like a swaybacked old pony.

Strive to exceed the standard by 20%. If they require 41 pushups, be able to do at least 49. You need to be able to meet or exceed the minimum on your worst day - ill, didn't sleep, and just flunked an LD test. PT isn't just to pass a test - it's also to get you in shape to defeat someone who wants nothing worse in the world than to kill you.

Power through it, get your reps in, push out a few more and then go for a run.

Comment

“You need to be able to exceed the minimum on your worst day” we’ll said. When I did my p.a.t the sit-ups didn’t come easy lol

Comment

I would also recommend when doing sets to failure, forget about the 1 minute time frame you mentioned. If you put a time frame on it, you are essentially doing sets, not doing the workout to failure.

Comment

I’m “practicing “ for an academy entrance test 40 sit ups 1 min , 33 push ups 1 min & the run. I’m probably getting into next academy and I want to ensure I can complete it again. The sit-ups where difficult but I did it once before. I switched it doing sets to failure it was more taxing then 1 minute time frame so I’ll stick to that. 3 sets of push ups and sit ups to failure.

Comment

Have you mixed in any other ab exercises? I know my back starts to hurt after too many situps and I started tossing in leg lifts, planks, etc and saw a good little rise in my situp count.

Comment

Planks my forearms hurt smh I do flutter kicks , scissors, leg lifts, if I’m feeling lucky I do leg lifts hanging on pull up bar.

Comment

I can't do pushups more then 10 to 20. how to increase stemina to run fast and pushups.

Comment

Start by doing what you can now , cut that # in half then do like 3 or 4 sets of that 3 days a week. The following week add 1 or 2 reps to it. Doing burpees will help your stamina that’s what helped me. I ran a 1.50 mile at 11:28 now I’m down to 10:40. Run sprints and further but don’t over due it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8212 users online. 364 members and 7848 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X