300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit ups help.

So I’m a 21 year old male at 5’7” and 155 pounds . I’m not overweight or obese. I have to perform 31 sit ups within
    a minute for CHP PT and I’m really struggling, I do not have a scedhuled PT, YET.

I have been trying to improve my reps by practicing sit-ups every other day along with other exercises. I will try to do 4 sets of 9 within 15 seconds, 3 sets of 12 with 20 seconds, and 2 sets of 18 in 30 seconds.

However first day I did 9,9,8, and 8. Second time I worked out, 9,7,7, and 6. What gives? I’m eating right, sleeping, drinking water, I’ve never done drugs, marijuana, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

Appreciate the help. Thanks

Are you doing other workouts? Running, weights, pushups, pullups? How long have you been working out?
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Sit ups are stupid but for whatever reason, LE agencies and the military still require them as part of any PT test.

I think ateamer brought up a good point. What else are you doing? I never actually do sit ups yet even at 51, I do 90 in two minutes on my Army PT test. I have always had a strong core from lifting and athletics so I do well in strength exercises.

Now running? That's a different story.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Here's an approach that worked for me...I did it to improve both my sit-ups and push-ups.

Every night, I usually spend some time sitting on my couch watching TV with my wife. I'd pick 1 show per night as my 'workout'. As soon as a commercial came on, I'd do as many push-ups as I could. Then, for the next commercial, I'd do sit-ups. Then lather, rinse, repeat for the duration of the show.

In just a few weeks I was able to dramatically increase my numbers.

I should mention that this was being done in addition to cardiovascular training (running, biking) I was doing in the mornings.

Comment

Here are some pointers that might be able to guide you. I was consistently the top PT performer in my academy class. I only say that to qualify the advice I'll give you:

- Sit-ups are anterior (front) dominant movement. There are more muscles involved than just your abdomen. Your hip flexors play a huge role in anterior strength. In addition to working on the actual movement, work in some movements that will strengthen these supporting muscles. Do plank holds (varying between resting on your hands and your forearms) as V-holds (butt resting on ground with arms extended overhead with head and arms 6" off the ground and feet 6" off the ground). Start holding these movements for 30 seconds each and work your way up from there. You can couple them together doing 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off for several rounds. Add on 15 seconds every week or two. A good goal would be to do consistent sets holding between 1-2 mins each. I also strongly recommend you do leg raisers while hanging from a pull-up bar. This is an excellent stabilizer movement and will strengthen your core tremendously. If you can't raise your legs to touching the bar with your feet, try to at least lift them to 90 degrees. You can turn this into a static hold movement too.

- Understand your department's standard for the test. Do they allow resting at the top of movement? Bottom of the movement? Both? This is very important to know. For a one minute test, you should be able to do sit-ups consistently without rest. However, if you need to breathe, find out where you can take a quick breath without being DQ'd short of the minimum rep count. If they allow both, figure out what works better for your body (resting at the top or bottom). Again, ideally you should settle into a pace where you can go unbroken for a minute.

- Get a feel for what a comfortable rep pace is for you. 31 sit-ups in a minute is 1 sit-up per less than 2 seconds. Very manageable. If banging out two sit-ups per second up front is causing you to fatigue later in the minute, test your self with settling into a more consistent pace throughout.

- Being strong in any one movement requires being strong as a whole. Make sure your are regularly engaging in full body strength training (with a barbell) and running. A quick note on running, make sure you are sprinting. Sprinting will strengthen your entire body and work your fast twitch fibers that will help you in most any movement.

Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10962 users online. 431 members and 10531 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X