Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigj8550
    replied
    WOW That is some good info. I was just schooled! Ok so now it is time to figure out how many caloires are in the foods that I eat. It is not as easy as looking on the package as I don't eat a whole lot of pre packaged foods. Time for some research. Thanks alot for all the info guys

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    those digital scales get off sometimes....like..up tp 15 lbs or so...personally, i like the old ones, i think they are more accurate, but the digitals are cool..its no biggie

Leave a comment:

• livestrong6
    replied
    Originally posted by aftermath
    Good to hear. What I was referring to is called the Glycemic Index. You can look it up concerning a classification of food, say chicken, or carrots, or whatever. A higher index means it's got a greater effect on your insulin levels after consumption. Higher insulin, or a spike, causes your body to retain more carbs and fats and store them for later usage. The body will convert them to body fat and you'll have a harder time losing weight. If you wat things such as wheat or higher fiber foods, they fill you up with a lower impact on your insulin, thus meaning the body won't rush to store them and will actually leave them as free form to be used for daily energy. The key is really the storage of fat. Higher insulin more or less = bad. Good luck though!
    Glycemic index is a ranking system for carbohydrates based on their effect on blood glucose levels in the first two hours. It compares carbohydrates gram for gram in individual foods, providing a numerical, evidence-based index of postprandial (post-meal) glycemia. The concept was invented by Dr. David J. Jenkins and colleagues in 1981 at the University of Toronto.

Carbohydrates that break down rapidly during digestion have the highest glycemic indices. Carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream, have a low glycemic index. A lower glycemic index suggests slower rates of digestion and absorption of the sugars and starches in the foods and may also indicate greater extraction from the liver and periphery of the products of carbohydrate digestion. A lower glycemic response is often thought to equate to a lower insulin demand, better long-term blood glucose control and a reduction in blood lipids. But in fact, some foods having a low glycemic index or having very little carbohydrate cause a high insulin response or raise blood lipids. The Insulin index may also be useful as it provides a direct measure of the insulin response to a food.

The glycemic index of a food is defined by the area under the 2 hour blood glucose response curve (AUC) following the ingestion of a fixed portion of carbohydrate (usually 50 g). The AUC of the test food is divided by the AUC of the standard (either glucose or white bread, giving two different definitions) and multiplied by 100.

GI values can be interpreted intuitively as percentages on an absolute scale and are commonly interpreted as follows:

Classification GI range Examples
    Low GI 55 or less most fruit and vegetables (but not potato), basmati rice, oats, All-bran
    Medium GI 56 - 69 sucrose, Mars bar
    High GI 70 or more corn flakes, baked potato, jasmine rice, white bread, white rice(Chinese/Japanese)

A low GI food will release glucose slowly and steadily. A high GI food will provide a rapid rise in blood sugar levels and is suitable for energy recovery after endurance exercise or for a diabetic person experiencing hypoglycemia.

The glycemic effect of foods depends on a number of factors such as the type of starch (amylose vs. amylopectin), physical entrapment of the starch molecules within the food, fat content of the food and increased acidity of the meal — adding vinegar for example, will lower the GI. The presence of fat or soluble dietary fibre can inhibit carbohydrate absorption, thus lowering the GI. Unrefined breads with higher amounts of fibre generally have a lower GI value than white breads, but, while adding butter or oil will lower the GI of bread, the GI ranking does not change. That is, with or without additions, there is still a higher blood glucose curve after white bread than after a low GI bread such as pumpernickel. Many brown breads, however, are treated with enzymes to soften the crust, which makes the starch more accessible. This raises the GI, with some brown breads even having GI values over 100.

The glycemic index can only be applied to foods with a reasonable carbohydrate content, as the test relies on subjects consuming enough of the test food to yield about 50 g of available carbohydrate. Many fruits and vegetables (but not potatoes) contain very little carbohydrate per serving, or have very low GI values. This also applies to carrots, which were originally and incorrectly reported as having a high GI.Alcoholic beverages have been reported to have low GI values, however it should be noted that beer has a moderate GI. Recent studies have shown that the consumption of an alcoholic drink prior to a meal reduces the GI of the meal by approximately 15%.

DJ Jenkins et al (1981). "Glycemic index of foods: a physiological basis for carbohydrate exchange." Am J Clin Nutr 34; 362-366
    Brouns et al (2005). "Glycaemic index methodology." Nutrition Research Reviews 18; 145-171

Now this is all good stuff and It's interesting to read. However, you have to look at the big picture. Are you burning off the calories that you consume. When you are trying to lose weight you have to lower your caloric intake so your body has to use stored energy(fat). If you are eating a balanced diet.(meaning calories in and calories out are equal) you are not helping yourself at all. Although weight lose boils down to one thing. working out and burning calories. keep track of your calories and your exercise program and you will be fine. You don't need to go on any special diet to lose weight. Eat clean foods. Broil, Boil, or Bake them(you can grill too.) Don't fry it or drench it in oil and you will be fine. If you want to eat a BBQ pork chop go right ahead. Howeve, when you have your bake potato don't smuther the thing in butter and bacon bits. Just eat it plain. Eat smart and the weight will fly off of you. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• travel_light
    replied
    congrats on giving up this bad habit. I stopped almost two years ago, but I do smoke a cigar every so often. Don't start back smoking, don't even think you can just smoke one. It won't work, You'll end up smoking like you use to....

Leave a comment:

• aftermath
    replied
    Originally posted by bigj8550
    Ahhh it was just a flux. I have gained about 1.4 lbs but not the 7.4 I thought at first. I weight myself when I got home last night and I was up 2.6 lbs from sundays weight. Then I weight myself this morning and I was 1.4 lbs up from sundays weight. I can live with that. Now on my diet. Chicken I don't eat the skin. as for pork well it was on sale this week cheaper than steak and not to bad for once in a while. I will look for wheat tortillas and I normally do eat nuts just not any this week so far. last nights dinner was border line. Hybrid burgers home made 85-15 ground beef add chopped carrotts, celery, onion, crakers and grill. On whole wheat toast, with corn and here is the bad part Mac and cheese. And What do you mean by GI?

BTW Day five and still no smoking. It is getting a little easier. I think?
    Good to hear. What I was referring to is called the Glycemic Index. You can look it up concerning a classification of food, say chicken, or carrots, or whatever. A higher index means it's got a greater effect on your insulin levels after consumption. Higher insulin, or a spike, causes your body to retain more carbs and fats and store them for later usage. The body will convert them to body fat and you'll have a harder time losing weight. If you wat things such as wheat or higher fiber foods, they fill you up with a lower impact on your insulin, thus meaning the body won't rush to store them and will actually leave them as free form to be used for daily energy. The key is really the storage of fat. Higher insulin more or less = bad. Good luck though!

Leave a comment:

• bigj8550
    replied
    Thanks for the great info livstrong6 and for the encourgement brownj21. I am going to print out that info and put it on the fridge to help me count the calories. How much water should I be taking in per day? Right now I am putting down about 70-72 oz per day. Btw I am 227.6 as of this morning 6'3" and hoping to go to acadamy july 15 god willing. I think if I drop another 20 lbs by then I should be good what do ya all think?

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    replied
    Ahhh it was just a flux. I have gained about 1.4 lbs but not the 7.4 I thought at first. I weight myself when I got home last night and I was up 2.6 lbs from sundays weight. Then I weight myself this morning and I was 1.4 lbs up from sundays weight. I can live with that. Now on my diet. Chicken I don't eat the skin. as for pork well it was on sale this week cheaper than steak and not to bad for once in a while. I will look for wheat tortillas and I normally do eat nuts just not any this week so far. last nights dinner was border line. Hybrid burgers home made 85-15 ground beef add chopped carrotts, celery, onion, crakers and grill. On whole wheat toast, with corn and here is the bad part Mac and cheese. And What do you mean by GI?

Glad to hear the solution was simple. Continue your hard work and stay off the cigs! Great job!

Leave a comment:

• livestrong6
    replied
    How does pork compare to other meats for fat, calories and cholesterol? Pork today compares favorably for fat, calories and cholesterol with many other meats and poultry. While providing a greater amount of vitamins and minerals, many cuts of pork are as lean or leaner than chicken. Pork tenderloin, for example, is just as lean as skinless chicken breast and meets the government guidelines for “extra lean.” In total, six pork cuts meet the USDA guidelines for “lean,” with less than 10 grams fat, 4.5 grams saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving. Any cuts from the loin - like pork chops and pork roast - are leaner than skinless chicken thigh, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data. Pork steaks or roasts from the leg ("fresh ham") are also lean choices.

Serving Sizes and Nutritional Profiles of Lean Meats

3-ounce cooked serving: Calories Total Fat
    (g) Saturated
    Fat (g) Cholesterol
    (mg)
    LEAN CHICKEN
    Skinless chicken breast* 139 3.1 0.9 73
    Skinless chicken leg* 162 7.1 2.0 80
    Skinless chicken thigh* 177 9.3 2.6 81
    LEAN CUTS OF PORK
    Pork Tenderloin* 120 3.0 1.0 62
    Pork boneless top loin chop** 173 5.2 1.8 61
    Pork top loin roast* 147 5.3 1.6 68
    Pork center loin chop** 153 6.2 1.8 72
    Pork sirloin roast* 173 8.0 2.4 76
    Pork rib chop** 158 7.1 2.2 56

LEAN CUTS OF BEEF
    Beef eye of round * 141 4.0 1.5 59
    Beef top round*** 169 4.3 1.5 76
    Beef tip round* 149 5.0 1.8 69
    Beef top sirloin** 162 8 2.2 76
    Beef top loin** 168 7.1 2.7 65
    Beef tenderloin** 175 8.1 3.0 71
    FISH (*dry heat,**moist heat)
    Cod* 89 0.7 0.1 40
    Flounder* 99 1.3 0.3 58
    Halibut* 119 2.5 0.4 35
    Orange Roughy* 75 0.8 0.0 22
    Salmon* 175 11.0 2.1 54
    Shrimp** 84 0.9 0.2 166
    * Roasted, ** Broiled, *** Braised

Leave a comment:

• bigj8550
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aftermath
    replied
    Ok my diet sucks?? I thought I was eating and making good choices. I guess it's time for me to be schooled. So take me to school what is wrong with my diet. The burritos were home made Grilled chicken with onion and greenpeppers rolled in a flour tortilla then stuck back on the hot grill? Baked chicken ok the dressing was high carb. and Center cut pork chops well can't eat chicken every night. They were center cut lowest fat pork I can find. And all I drink is water except at night I like a one glass of ice tea with my dinner. Nachos were home made corn chips baked with olives ground beef 85/15 black olives onions green peppers.
    Okay, let's begin: Flour tortillas - high GI food, just as bad as white bread.
    Dressing - you hit it.
    Chicken - no skin right?
    Pork - self explanitory
    Corn chips - same as flour.

More water, more meals (5-6 small ones daily), more fiberous veggies, in place of chicken you can have tuna, salmon, steak, most any meat that is high in protein but will give you good fats (unsaturated and omega 3's are great. Steak doesn't necessarily fit that but it's better than pork nutrient wise.) Also, add nuts to your diet. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, are all good fats and will fill you up.

GL!

Leave a comment:

• juszczec
    replied
    Ok I am a little freaked out here. I just quit smoking four days ago, and I am gaining weight like a baby hippo. And no I am not snacking a lot. If fact I am eating the same or a little less per day than before. I have also cut out all soda Diet and regular. All I drink is water milk and ice tea now. I chew so much sugar free gum my jaw hurts. I gained 7.4 lbs in three days What is up with that? I ran 3.5 miles sunday did my weight work out. Lifted weights monday. Ran a 1.5 tues and walked a hill route for an hour tue. And that is not even counting my push up and sit ups. Can anyone explain this for me?
    What's the verdict, did you weigh yourself at different times during the day like one poster suggested?

I'm pretty sure nicotine speeds up your metabolism, so remove the nicotine and your metabolism slows down and your weight goes up despite eating the same.

Can it account for 7lbs in 3 days? Don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

The weight training (and possibly running) can add muscle which can add to weight. Again, 7lbs in 3 days? Don't know, but doubt it.

If someone forced me to give a reason, I'd say its a combination of the above.

Good for you for quitting smoking!

Leave a comment:

• LCPLPunk
    replied
    Sounds yummy. Try using wheat products, they will make you feel fuller and thereby help decrease the need to eat. Also, it seems you are working out quite a bit, and while the pounds you have gained are most likely not from that exercise, you will start to gain weight if you continue working out regularly.

Also, GREAT WORK on quiting! U definately have our support!

Leave a comment:

• bigj8550
    replied
    Ok my diet sucks?? I thought I was eating and making good choices. I guess it's time for me to be schooled. So take me to school what is wrong with my diet. The burritos were home made Grilled chicken with onion and greenpeppers rolled in a flour tortilla then stuck back on the hot grill? Baked chicken ok the dressing was high carb. and Center cut pork chops well can't eat chicken every night. They were center cut lowest fat pork I can find. And all I drink is water except at night I like a one glass of ice tea with my dinner. Nachos were home made corn chips baked with olives ground beef 85/15 black olives onions green peppers.
    Last edited by bigj8550; 03-28-2007, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aftermath
    replied
    The weight increase in caused since youre body no longer feels it's in a starvation mode. You might have eatten while you were a smoker, but I doubt it was alot and I doubt it was correct. Smoking supresses the appetite, that's why most people are rail thin and as soon as they quit, get hippo fat. The body still sees itself in starvation for a time after you quit and therefore will store every single calorie it can. Best thing you can do is just bear with it, perservere, eat right and workout. You're body will hit homeostasis and then your weight and such will level out and then you can start dieting correctly.

Edit - you need to fix your diet after I saw your last post. High in fat, high in carbs, lower protein and high GI foods spike your insulin, causing your body to retain and store fat. You need higher protein, lower carbs, more good fats, exercise and more water!
    Last edited by aftermath; 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigj8550
    replied
    I did not belive the numbers at first either. However I did weight myself at the same time as I always do. Right after I get home before a work out. I have a digital scale that calibrates itself after every weight in. I will weigh in tommorow morning and let you know. So I will not freak out to much untill I reverified the numbers. And As for my eating habits I will post what I can remember. Breakfast Honey nut cheerios with skim milk. Coffee w. skim milk and sugar. dinner sunday night grilled chicken baked burritos, lunch monday left over burritos, Monday night dinner grilled center cut pork chops, with baked potato. Lunch tue nachos, and dinner tues was baked chicken with dressing. lunch today grilled chicken salad
    Last edited by bigj8550; 03-28-2007, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3628 users online. 176 members and 3452 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X