300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking And Weight Gain

Ok I am a little freaked out here. I just quit smoking four days ago, and I am gaining weight like a baby hippo. And no I am not snacking a lot. If fact I am eating the same or a little less per day than before. I have also cut out all soda Diet and regular. All I drink is water milk and ice tea now. I chew so much sugar free gum my jaw hurts. I gained 7.4 lbs in three days What is up with that? I ran 3.5 miles sunday did my weight work out. Lifted weights monday. Ran a 1.5 tues and walked a hill route for an hour tue. And that is not even counting my push up and sit ups. Can anyone explain this for me?
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Originally posted by bigj8550
    Ok I am a little freaked out here. I just quit smoking four days ago, and I am gaining weight like a baby hippo. And no I am not snacking a lot. If fact I am eating the same or a little less per day than before. I have also cut out all soda Diet and regular. All I drink is water milk and ice tea now. I chew so much sugar free gum my jaw hurts. I gained 7.4 lbs in three days What is up with that? I ran 3.5 miles sunday did my weight work out. Lifted weights monday. Ran a 1.5 tues and walked a hill route for an hour tue. And that is not even counting my push up and sit ups. Can anyone explain this for me?

First off, congrats for quiting..

Second--It is virtually impossible to gain 7.4lbs in 3 days.. Come on think about it. That would require eating 25900 calories and not burning any!!

You probably weighed yourself at different times.. ALWAYS WEIGH YOURSELF FIRST THING IN THE MORNING AFTER YOU PEE.. This will be your most accurate weight.. I am usually about 5-8 lbs heavier before bed compared to my morning weight..

Just stick to the clean diet and exercise and you will be fine..

Comment

I am doubting those numbers too.
      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Actually it's not impossible to gain that much weight in a few days...granted a bodybuilder who has just come from competition will gain in excess of 20lbs after pigging out once the comp is over.....the poster may have been not eating well, and was on a restricted calorie diet (without even knowing it). Therefore, his body, not used to receiving nourishment may be adjusting to a slight increase in calories.

Just my two wooden nickels
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I did not belive the numbers at first either. However I did weight myself at the same time as I always do. Right after I get home before a work out. I have a digital scale that calibrates itself after every weight in. I will weigh in tommorow morning and let you know. So I will not freak out to much untill I reverified the numbers. And As for my eating habits I will post what I can remember. Breakfast Honey nut cheerios with skim milk. Coffee w. skim milk and sugar. dinner sunday night grilled chicken baked burritos, lunch monday left over burritos, Monday night dinner grilled center cut pork chops, with baked potato. Lunch tue nachos, and dinner tues was baked chicken with dressing. lunch today grilled chicken salad
          Last edited by bigj8550; 03-28-2007, 04:48 PM.
          You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
          "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
          Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

The weight increase in caused since youre body no longer feels it's in a starvation mode. You might have eatten while you were a smoker, but I doubt it was alot and I doubt it was correct. Smoking supresses the appetite, that's why most people are rail thin and as soon as they quit, get hippo fat. The body still sees itself in starvation for a time after you quit and therefore will store every single calorie it can. Best thing you can do is just bear with it, perservere, eat right and workout. You're body will hit homeostasis and then your weight and such will level out and then you can start dieting correctly.

Edit - you need to fix your diet after I saw your last post. High in fat, high in carbs, lower protein and high GI foods spike your insulin, causing your body to retain and store fat. You need higher protein, lower carbs, more good fats, exercise and more water!
            Last edited by aftermath; 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Ok my diet sucks?? I thought I was eating and making good choices. I guess it's time for me to be schooled. So take me to school what is wrong with my diet. The burritos were home made Grilled chicken with onion and greenpeppers rolled in a flour tortilla then stuck back on the hot grill? Baked chicken ok the dressing was high carb. and Center cut pork chops well can't eat chicken every night. They were center cut lowest fat pork I can find. And all I drink is water except at night I like a one glass of ice tea with my dinner. Nachos were home made corn chips baked with olives ground beef 85/15 black olives onions green peppers.
              Last edited by bigj8550; 03-28-2007, 05:25 PM.
              Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Sounds yummy. Try using wheat products, they will make you feel fuller and thereby help decrease the need to eat. Also, it seems you are working out quite a bit, and while the pounds you have gained are most likely not from that exercise, you will start to gain weight if you continue working out regularly.

Also, GREAT WORK on quiting! U definately have our support!
                "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

What's the verdict, did you weigh yourself at different times during the day like one poster suggested?

I'm pretty sure nicotine speeds up your metabolism, so remove the nicotine and your metabolism slows down and your weight goes up despite eating the same.

Can it account for 7lbs in 3 days? Don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

The weight training (and possibly running) can add muscle which can add to weight. Again, 7lbs in 3 days? Don't know, but doubt it.

If someone forced me to give a reason, I'd say its a combination of the above.

Good for you for quitting smoking!
                  Mark
                  Shaw JCC Karate Program website
                  Shaw JCC Karate Program on myspace

Comment

Ok my diet sucks?? I thought I was eating and making good choices. I guess it's time for me to be schooled. So take me to school what is wrong with my diet. The burritos were home made Grilled chicken with onion and greenpeppers rolled in a flour tortilla then stuck back on the hot grill? Baked chicken ok the dressing was high carb. and Center cut pork chops well can't eat chicken every night. They were center cut lowest fat pork I can find. And all I drink is water except at night I like a one glass of ice tea with my dinner. Nachos were home made corn chips baked with olives ground beef 85/15 black olives onions green peppers.
                    Okay, let's begin: Flour tortillas - high GI food, just as bad as white bread.
                    Dressing - you hit it.
                    Chicken - no skin right?
                    Pork - self explanitory
                    Corn chips - same as flour.

More water, more meals (5-6 small ones daily), more fiberous veggies, in place of chicken you can have tuna, salmon, steak, most any meat that is high in protein but will give you good fats (unsaturated and omega 3's are great. Steak doesn't necessarily fit that but it's better than pork nutrient wise.) Also, add nuts to your diet. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, are all good fats and will fill you up.

GL!

Comment

Ahhh it was just a flux. I have gained about 1.4 lbs but not the 7.4 I thought at first. I weight myself when I got home last night and I was up 2.6 lbs from sundays weight. Then I weight myself this morning and I was 1.4 lbs up from sundays weight. I can live with that. Now on my diet. Chicken I don't eat the skin. as for pork well it was on sale this week cheaper than steak and not to bad for once in a while. I will look for wheat tortillas and I normally do eat nuts just not any this week so far. last nights dinner was border line. Hybrid burgers home made 85-15 ground beef add chopped carrotts, celery, onion, crakers and grill. On whole wheat toast, with corn and here is the bad part Mac and cheese. And What do you mean by GI?

BTW Day five and still no smoking. It is getting a little easier. I think?
                      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

How does pork compare to other meats for fat, calories and cholesterol? Pork today compares favorably for fat, calories and cholesterol with many other meats and poultry. While providing a greater amount of vitamins and minerals, many cuts of pork are as lean or leaner than chicken. Pork tenderloin, for example, is just as lean as skinless chicken breast and meets the government guidelines for “extra lean.” In total, six pork cuts meet the USDA guidelines for “lean,” with less than 10 grams fat, 4.5 grams saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving. Any cuts from the loin - like pork chops and pork roast - are leaner than skinless chicken thigh, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data. Pork steaks or roasts from the leg ("fresh ham") are also lean choices.

Serving Sizes and Nutritional Profiles of Lean Meats

3-ounce cooked serving: Calories Total Fat
                        (g) Saturated
                        Fat (g) Cholesterol
                        (mg)
                        LEAN CHICKEN
                        Skinless chicken breast* 139 3.1 0.9 73
                        Skinless chicken leg* 162 7.1 2.0 80
                        Skinless chicken thigh* 177 9.3 2.6 81
                        LEAN CUTS OF PORK
                        Pork Tenderloin* 120 3.0 1.0 62
                        Pork boneless top loin chop** 173 5.2 1.8 61
                        Pork top loin roast* 147 5.3 1.6 68
                        Pork center loin chop** 153 6.2 1.8 72
                        Pork sirloin roast* 173 8.0 2.4 76
                        Pork rib chop** 158 7.1 2.2 56

LEAN CUTS OF BEEF
                        Beef eye of round * 141 4.0 1.5 59
                        Beef top round*** 169 4.3 1.5 76
                        Beef tip round* 149 5.0 1.8 69
                        Beef top sirloin** 162 8 2.2 76
                        Beef top loin** 168 7.1 2.7 65
                        Beef tenderloin** 175 8.1 3.0 71
                        FISH (*dry heat,**moist heat)
                        Cod* 89 0.7 0.1 40
                        Flounder* 99 1.3 0.3 58
                        Halibut* 119 2.5 0.4 35
                        Orange Roughy* 75 0.8 0.0 22
                        Salmon* 175 11.0 2.1 54
                        Shrimp** 84 0.9 0.2 166
                        * Roasted, ** Broiled, *** Braised

Comment

Ahhh it was just a flux. I have gained about 1.4 lbs but not the 7.4 I thought at first. I weight myself when I got home last night and I was up 2.6 lbs from sundays weight. Then I weight myself this morning and I was 1.4 lbs up from sundays weight. I can live with that. Now on my diet. Chicken I don't eat the skin. as for pork well it was on sale this week cheaper than steak and not to bad for once in a while. I will look for wheat tortillas and I normally do eat nuts just not any this week so far. last nights dinner was border line. Hybrid burgers home made 85-15 ground beef add chopped carrotts, celery, onion, crakers and grill. On whole wheat toast, with corn and here is the bad part Mac and cheese. And What do you mean by GI?

Glad to hear the solution was simple. Continue your hard work and stay off the cigs! Great job!
                          www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Thanks for the great info livstrong6 and for the encourgement brownj21. I am going to print out that info and put it on the fridge to help me count the calories. How much water should I be taking in per day? Right now I am putting down about 70-72 oz per day. Btw I am 227.6 as of this morning 6'3" and hoping to go to acadamy july 15 god willing. I think if I drop another 20 lbs by then I should be good what do ya all think?
                            Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Good to hear. What I was referring to is called the Glycemic Index. You can look it up concerning a classification of food, say chicken, or carrots, or whatever. A higher index means it's got a greater effect on your insulin levels after consumption. Higher insulin, or a spike, causes your body to retain more carbs and fats and store them for later usage. The body will convert them to body fat and you'll have a harder time losing weight. If you wat things such as wheat or higher fiber foods, they fill you up with a lower impact on your insulin, thus meaning the body won't rush to store them and will actually leave them as free form to be used for daily energy. The key is really the storage of fat. Higher insulin more or less = bad. Good luck though!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4278 users online. 250 members and 4028 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X