300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes?

I guess I'll put this here, since I'm not sure where else this thread will fit.

I was wondering if people with type 1 Diabetes can join law enforcement. I tried to join the Army back in sept '06 but found out at MEPS that I have diabetes. I had planned on being an MP. Since that fell through and I am now disqualified from every branch of the military I figured why not try law enforcement since I wanted to be an MP any ways.

So, thats the only question thats really holding me back. Any information will help, thanks!

~Jessica

I've heard of cops who were diabetic. There could be some agencies that have a problem with it. Just make sure you manage it well.
    They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

As long as its controlled, and you take care of it, it is not a problem. One of my sergeants is type 1 and has no problems. Part of the reason for type 1's being DQ'd from military service has to do with the logistics of maintaining insulin in a field enviroment. LE doesn't have those issues.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Standards vary from agency to agency Some of the considerations regarding this condition can be found at:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Endo.pdf
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If you're well-controlled, I don't think it'd be a problem. If the administration thinks otherwise, I believe they have to show why they think you couldn't do the job even if they made some "reasonable accomodation," or show how accomodating your "handicap" would be problematic for them.
          You might want to run that by a lawyer, though.
          --
          Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5038 users online. 233 members and 4805 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X