300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running program

anyone here follow the 10% rule running five days a week, starting at 1.50 miles. ?

I have been running for 3 years my goal is to be ready to be able to run five days a week at least 5 miles. Is that realistic. Im stuck in the 8's pace per mile i have been in high 7's (7:40-750)for up to two miles but would like to be in 7' CONSISTANTLY i have nike pegasus 164milea in them. Also flat feet . Calf tightness and shin splints are my BIGGEST problems. I try to run at least 3 miles somewhat hard with one interval workout (1.5 mile) and a long run for 1 hour u can get between 6-8 miles in that time. I dont know how some people can run 6 miles one day then 10 the next? Wtf. Imgoing to get some sneakers acis , brooks or saucony ( those lesser name brands maybe the key instead of nikes.

I'll tell ya this, when I was running in the Navy for a program in which I did not go all the way through, running was instrumentally the largest thing I did. And in sand. I ran into a lot of issues that have ironed themselves out during training, but were things no one had told me off the bat. My best recommendation first is to obviously get a proper fit by a running store who can track your gait and pace and place you into a good shoe style.

Nothing to knock Nikes - I know plenty of endurance runners who use Nikes and Adidas - but I know a lot more who subscribe to Newton, Asics, Brooks, Saucony, and etc. RoadRunnersports.com is the best place for sneakers that I have found price wise. sign up for their VIP program - if you dont like the shoes within 90 days - you may return them for an exchange.

To build up on running - I've been where you're at. 3 miles a day, several days a week, rinsewashrepeat. Sometimes throw an LSD (long slow distance) in there. Honestly, it comes down to how you train. You'll need to break that mold of 3 miles as your subset - lowest. Slowly and gradually get to 4 miles. Try doing 4 miles 2 days a week with 3 miles the remaining 3. Add a day where you may do 5-4-3-3-3 or 3-5-3-4-3 then eventually get it up to 4 miles as your minimum.

Another way to go about it, however time consuming, is to run 2x a day. 4 miles in the morning and 3 or 4 at night. This is a great way to get mileage in - however taxing - yet, allows for a day off. This is the method I personally used. 4/4 - 4/3 - rest - 4/4 - 5 = 28 miles a week. I could eventually translate this into 6 miles a run which was 6-6-4-3/3-6 = 28 and then build up from there.

My best advice is to GO SLOW with upping your mileage. 2-3 miles per week AT MOST. Give it 2 -3 weeks to subscribe to a new mileage. Remember, if it hurts, STOP. Rest a day. get after it tomorrow and try again for another 'perfect week.'

If you subscribe to injuries, shorten your stride with a higher pace. This has helped me tremendously with IT Band issues. As for shin splints - well...it's more or less of how much does it hurt and your stretching routine afterwards and can you run past the pain.

Also, if this could be very dependent on your size. for example - if you're 220 and trying to run 30 miles a week - understand eating habits and losing weight are going to help you further since running is always a fight with gravity. The impact will be a lot less for a runner who's 180lbs than 220lbs.
    Another and last thing I'll talk about is the efficiency of your running. If you're bobbing up and down, you are expending more energy than needed to go straight-forward. Forefoot striking is the subscribed "best" method of running. Do not change your stride to an entirely different stride if you are not, but build up to it if you can. Better times are linked to a higher pace. Akin to the weight loss and dieting, sprint work outs are necessary. You'll need to build up a better baseline pace and that is to be accomplished through sprints or some sort of adverse climate (Sand, hills, trails - DO NOT use a weight vest. You WILL injure yourself). One work out I used to do is a 3 - mile track work out of jogging a lap and sprinting the next lap (1.5 miles jogged - 1.5 miles sprinted).

I hope this helps. This is my experience from getting up to about 40 miles a week and going through intense running in military circuits where contracted professionals (marathon runners, sprinters, etc) have given their advice. Get good shoes, work on form, don't stay static with training.

Comment

March 2016 i had a very small nondidplaced fibula fracture ( going across the bone) i took 5 months before i was out of airboot. Did rehab for about a month or month and a half. My right ankle feels weaker theny lefg when i do single leg calf raise, with my left it feels strong with my right its like a 4 , maybe my calf muscles shrunk or tightened up cuz i lift my left ankle higher then my right or at least it feels like it. This weakness cant be good might lead to chronic issues its been a year since injury and right ankle and all that area around it is a damn problem. Im going to devote myself to constant stretching everyday to see if this calf , achilles & posterior tibalis hurt less or not at all , and get new sneakers. Im assuming shin splints are not an issue with my muscles but with volum of running. If after all this i still cant run pain free im giving up running... Nah i wont ( sounds of bones shattering lol)

Comment

• Jdavis211
        Jdavis211 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! Well look, what you're going through is simply an overcompensation problem (not like that). When you injure your self, especially something on one of your legs, you'll tend to favor one side over the other. This can lead to even further injuries if not taken care of. Get some resistance bands and absolutely find a decent program to promote the growth of your muscles again. I would honestly look into a Physical Therapy program if you can afford it. Aside from that, cross training like swimming/biking will also be entirely beneficial.

Shin splints suck, they're hard to get rid of once you've got them. My only remedy is Aspirin, calf stretching, and track exercise: 1 length tip-toe walking, 1 length walk on heels, repeat for 2 laps total. Jog backwards, yes backwards for 2 laps. normally after a mile my shins arent hurting.

As therapy for my ankle they had me do heel walks and tip toe walking my shins were on FIRE!. I mAybe starting an academy soon and want to withstand all that running. I did backwards jogging before ouch worked different muscles more then forward running. Im going to look into the PT.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11201 users online. 442 members and 10759 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X