300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

I have been running for 3 yrs .my fastest 1.5 11:28 ( would like to get ig into 10's fastest 3 mile 24 mins. I broke my ankle march 2016 and couldnt run for 5 months but it only took me 10 miles to gef my speed back and i have been running more conservatively since then. Not going from 2 to 4 mile the next day. For the past two week i have been running 2 miles with a average pace in the 9's. Monday i ran 6.25 miles in 1 hour then again same distance and time friday. I shouldnt be doibg that but i felt good so.. All i do for legs is run but im looking to get into biking and a pool. My average pace is 8:20-8:45 if i push i can get it to low 8's but for only 3 miles. It felt like i was flying today but nope lol previous i have sone 7 & 8 miles in my hr runs.. Any advice to break that 8 mile pace, i have not done intervals yet i havein past though but its so hard and tiring i stick to regular runs with some fartleks... End rant

I tend to go out too fast and my times get slower. Should i go slightly faster then i usually run every interval or , or balls to the wall for as long as i can each time. Im going to be taking 1 min breaks between sets i average 1:20-1:30 each quarter mile which is good since i want to break 8 min mile

Comment

Interval training. Do a mix of sprints and jogging, 3/4 speed runs to build up speed in endurance. For example, sprint 20 sec, jog 30, sprint again, go half speed or 3/4, repeat, repeat. Basically you want to gradually increase the amount of time you sprint and go 3/4 speed until that endurance builds up. Also helps to build up leg strength so do some squats, leg raises, calf raises, lunges etc. Main thing is stay consistent. Taking time off will kill it

Comment

I effing hate squats my knees hurt like hell afterwards probably cuz im not used to it

Comment

• m.p.c
          m.p.c commented
          Editing a comment
          Just have to keep with it. Make sure you stretch and maintain flexibility. A lot of folks forget that and underestimate that. It sounds goofy, and I'm sure most on here will laugh, but yoga has it's longterm benefits on the joints and muscles. Not sayin you have to be a "zen" master, but check out beginners moves. Also make sure to hydrate!!

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
        Interval training. Do a mix of sprints and jogging, 3/4 speed runs to build up speed in endurance. For example, sprint 20 sec, jog 30, sprint again, go half speed or 3/4, repeat, repeat. Basically you want to gradually increase the amount of time you sprint and go 3/4 speed until that endurance builds up. Also helps to build up leg strength so do some squats, leg raises, calf raises, lunges etc. Main thing is stay consistent. Taking time off will kill it
        Yep, HIIT is the way to go. You actually get both an aerobic and anaerobic workout doing HIIT as your heart rate still stays in the zone while "resting" between sprints. Great stuff, all I do now. Why run for an hour when you get the same benefits from HIIT in a fraction of the time?
        In Valor there is hope

Comment

Got it. Monday i do a 3 mile run wednesday 6-1/4 mile sprints 1 min rest between sets , friday i run for an hr usually at least 6 miles

Comment

Originally posted by leo1112 View Post
            Got it. Monday i do a 3 mile run wednesday 6-1/4 mile sprints 1 min rest between sets , friday i run for an hr usually at least 6 miles
            What is your goal doing the longer runs? Unless you enjoy running (or are training for a marathon) you aren't gaining anything over doing strictly HIIT
            In Valor there is hope

Comment

To get ready for a police academy. I want to be able to run 5 miles @ an 8 min pace.. Anything less then 5 miles faster then 8 mins

Comment

I stopped running last year when Academi put a freeze on hiring contractors... I pass my PT test so I consider that a win.
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                MD DPSCS (Correctional Officer I)
                Civil Service Exam (9/23):
                Baltimore County Corrections (Officer I)
                Civil Service Exam (10/07):

Comment

Make sure you keep up on it... gaining weight sneaks up on you quick on this job.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Even if you only have 20 minutes in the morning, make sure to do something that elevates your heart rate. Burpees, squats pushups etc. It's not always how long you work out, but the intensity of the workout. You can do more in 20 min than an hour of working out

Comment

Got it those burpes kill me more so then running when i get to 15 im done lol

Comment

Ran 2 miles sub 16 mins . Other recent runs havent been this fast. Shin splints are KILLING me though but sure as hell felt good go crush my PR. I have been doung 6, 1/4 intervals in past few weeks.

Comment

keep at it

Comment

2 miles 15:36. Didn't feel overwhelming so I guess my sprints are working. Been doing 6- 1/4 at least once a,week and other two runs at least 3 miles. My ankles & shins hurt like he'll if I run more then 15 miles a week smh

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13309 users online. 514 members and 12795 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X