Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hip Replacement. What the hell is happening , LOL!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Replacement. What the hell is happening , LOL!

So during the last physical standards testing I did for SWAT, I passed, but I was really hurting days afterward.
    Went to ortho sports doc I know. Cut to chase- the cartilage in my hips is pretty much gone. Got a big shot of cortisone to the hip, and I'm back at it, but those will only work for so long and then it will be hip replacement time- and probably the end of my tactical job.

I've researched and seen where many guys in the 40's -50's do great afterward, but I was hoping to hear from a brother (or sister officer) in regard to your experience. If a guy can get back to triathlons after full hip replacement ( as I have read), I will hold out hope.

Thanks
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

I am blessed not to have incurred a major injury to a joint at this stage in my life. But, I like many others in our profession have been continually beating the hell out of my body since I started. I went to boot camp and found out I was weak in 2000 and have been working out and training religiously since.

The good news is I know 2 guys who have have joint replacemen's and continued their active lifestyles almost immediately after the operation. One was a trainer in his fifties at my gym. He had both hips done and he was squatting in about 4/6 months, with good numbers within another year.

I also do martial arts (not as frequently as I should mind you) with someone in his later forties who had a double knee replacement and was back to full contact decent intensity sparring in under 6 months. He was back in class in about 2/3.

The owner where I do martial arts had both knees rebuilt essentially and a detached triceps tendon and was training at full speed in less than 3 months bith times. He is closing in 50 and is still faster than anyone I have ever seen in person at over a lean 240 lbs.

Look into what you can do do manage the inflammation by diet and supplementation. Bromeline, and maybe even a keto diet for a while to really help speed the recovery up. That said I would prioritize what you want and need to do. Running is the #1 cause of orthopedic injury and may not be IDEAL. That said if there is nothing wrong with your gait and the existing injury is from something else, drive on.

I love squattng and deadlifting myself and I am always being told how it's going to hurt me by others in horrible shape and generally physically dysfunctional. I have put a lot of time into learning how to do both safety and properly for me. I am so glad that I have youtube and the Internet to help figure things out before having to learn from a mistake of my own.

I have been stuck in the 400 pound range for about a decade although that is a good place to be long term. I am pretty pumped about recently breaking into the 500 range for reps without messing myself up. I obviously don't plan on hitting those numbers frequently but I am glad to have met the personal goal. I really messed up my right hand a few years ago when I was approaching the 500 mark. It took me years to get back and fix the crap not adressing the issue properly up front caused. I was still strong by general standards but not where I should have been.

If you are string minded now you wil be post surgery. You have time to plan and prepare so use it wisely. Don't let anyone tell you something can't be done.

As my last point my brother in law lost his right arm at the shoulder, as an adult. He shoots compound bow better than most 2 armed people with a trigger on the tiny stump and his mouth to activate the trigger. If you want it bad enough you can do it.

Comment

Very inspiring norcocop!

I've done a lot of research since posting this, and I am confident that I will come out better than I have been in years. I have been eating an anti-inflammation low carb diet since late January, and it has helped in multiple ways ( I am 6'4" and weigh 250- working my way to 220 again). I'm also taking a low-dose Rx NSAID for inflammation. I'm not big on supplements, but thats another story...

I blew out my right biceps muscle (completely ripped the tendon that attaches it it to the forearm) seven years ago, and I was told I could never straighten my arm below 5-10 degrees after reconstructive surgery. I worked it hard and can now actually get it to negative 5 degrees. In other words I am motivated to work my *** off to be as strong as I can.

I got my old mountain bike out of storage, and I'm going to take it to a bike shop this weekend to get it ship-shape, and hopefully be riding 5-10 miles/ day soon, more thereafter.

My first year retirement goal is to hike the Appalachian Trail- so you can see my concerns- but I've since learned many MANY hikers have had THR and actually do better afterward.

Thank you for your thoughtful post, and taking the time to answer, brother.

...and stay strong & safe.

Doug (swat_op506)
      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I remember you posting a pic of the bicep tear years ago, it was nasty. I actually forgot that was you.

I did not really means supplements as most people think of them, IE pre workouts and magic pump powders,ect.. I was referring more to specific vitamins and mineral for [articular issues. Like Bromeline which is derived from pineapple and is really good for post surgery recovery. I take a ton of natural vitamins and minerals such as Hawthorn Berry, Red Yeast Rice, COq10, ect to offset the effects of TRT. I have managed to avoid any additional medications after taking TRT for over 3 years now. I take DIM to manage excess Estrogen created by being on the TRT as well and it works as well as the available meds for the same issue, without the horrible side effects.

I like where you are going with the Appalachian Trail thing. I love hiking and camping myself. I will be well into my mid to upper 50's before retirement is an option. I work hard at staying healthy and keeping a high quality of movement, as well as lifting heavy. I am hoping to be able to do things like hiking and such well into my retirement. I is good for some of the mid age and younger guys to see this stuff put out there, to give them perspective. There are too many guys struggling to make minimum times on runs ect, to just get hired.

If people want to get into this business and make it to a happy healthy retirement they need to adjust their expectations, preparation, training intensity, and knowledge base considerably past what is generally reflected here.

Comment

There may be more more to this.
          In the last week, I've woken wake up several times with both of my rotator cuffs feeling like they are on fire.

Getting tested for RA.
          Getting older can be a real PITA......
          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

Comment

No advice, but best wishes. My martial arts instructor has had 4 knee replacements, 1 hip replacement, back/neck surgery, and just about everything else. He is one of the most lethal fighters I know, and he is in his 60's
            REINSTATE THE TRIG
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            Your logic defies logic
            Originally posted by Rudy8116
            Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
            Originally posted by TheTick
            A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
            Originally posted by TheTick
            This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
            Originally posted by 02paul09
            Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Thanks Pullet.
              No RA (thank God). I'm a resilient SOB- I'll deal with it, and maybe come out even better!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

Comment

Have you looked into regenerative medicine? May be an option for you. I had the Regenexx procedure done to my Lower back, knee and shoulder and it has been a night and day difference. I would recommend it to anyone before any invasive surgery. There are little to no complications because platelets and stem cells are harvested from your own body and blood. Youtube Regenexx.

Comment

Not in depth, Blue Steel, but I will. I had read where that was an option being utilized by some athletes.

As for the shoulders, Ive been diagnosed with rotator cuff tendonitis - so it could be much worse.

Thanks for the info.
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

Comment

Regenexx can also heal damaged tendons, according to their research. I have had lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) for a couple years now, but decided to do the procedure there as well. I had the procedure done 2 months ago, it feels much better and is slowly healing. I will say that it has been recovering nicely, but slowly. I think the cortisone shots that I received in the past just made it worse in the long run. I believe that I ended up just doing more damage to it over lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Steel View Post
                      Regenexx can also heal damaged tendons, according to their research. I have had lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) for a couple years now, but decided to do the procedure there as well. I had the procedure done 2 months ago, it feels much better and is slowly healing. I will say that it has been recovering nicely, but slowly. I think the cortisone shots that I received in the past just made it worse in the long run. I believe that I ended up just doing more damage to it over lifting.
                      Exactly. We all tend to do that. Shots make you feel better yet the tendons can take 3-6 months to heal. There have been a lot of lawsuits against the NFL for shooting cortisone into players to get them back in the game, where they did further damage requiring surgery and beginning the fast downhill slide out of the NFL.

I have already been put on "injured reserve" with my SWAT team (I'm the freaking truck driver now- I gotta stay with the truck as well) but have a large property & hobby farm to take care of. Not easily done when you have to not lift things over your head!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

Comment

Sorry to hear that man, I guess you have to hold off kicking-in doors for a little while! I can feel your pain. I don't ever plan to get another cortisone shot any time soon. I had lower back surgery (Microdiscectomy L4-S1) and Hip Femoral Acetabular Impingement (FAI) and torn Labrum surgery in the past. The surgery was minimally invasive, but thank god I had good doctors since there was still a decent amount of recovery. I was worried there for a while that I may have needed a hip replacement because my hip was so arthritic and inflamed due to so many years of neglect, osteophytes (bone spurs) and not being diagnosed correctly. I remember having the pain in my early 20s and comparing it to that of a "rusty door hinge." It got worse as I got older.

I have gone to the Regenexx location in Dallas and have nothing but great things to say about the doctor and staff. I plan to just keep hitting them up for a "tune-up", once in awhile as needed, to keep me going.

Comment

You definitely are ahead of the game, blue steel. As a patient, you really have to do your homework and be able to ask educated questions of your health care providers, and the good ones appreciate that, I think (although my PCP says too many well-meaning people come in after self -diagnoses from WebMD, LOL!
                          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9679 users online. 445 members and 9234 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X