X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jellybean400
    gone
    • Jan 2005

Home gym Equipment

If you could choose one piece of home gym equipment to purchase, what would you choose?

I suppose mostly for cardio...and i have two bad knees (arthritis). I'm thinking machines such as Gazelle, treadmill, exercise bike, Pilates machine, etc.

Do you have experience with one that you feel is superior as far as quality, ease of use, and results? thanks
  • livestrong6
    Banned
    • Oct 2006

A CycleOps Pro 300 pt stationary bike. The on board computer can do anything and you can download your rides to your computer and chart your workouts.

Comment

• TP Dynamic
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2006

A power rack.
      "Let him who desires peace prepare for war"
      Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
      1 Corinthians 9:26-27

Comment

• Highwaystreets

if you are going for mainly cardio and have bad knees i would suggest an eliptical trainer, great cardio and very easy on the knees.

Comment

• Jellybean400
          gone
          • Jan 2005

thank you....

Comment

• blustar
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TP Dynamic
            A power rack.

second that

Comment

• ateamer
              Salty Dog
              • Aug 2000

Power rack. You can do many exercises in safety in a rack. You can hang or bolt on things to do more exercises - dip bars, pullups, pulleys for cable exercises, you are only limited by imagination. No gym is complete without a power rack, a good bar (not some $50 special from Big 5 with pressed knurling, slick chrome finish and undersized sleeves so the plates rattle and slide) and a decent bench. Build from there. A good rack is built from no lighter than 11 gauge steel.

You don't need a machine to do cardio. Buy a pair of good running shoes and go from there.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• Irishluck31
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ateamer
                You don't need a machine to do cardio. Buy a pair of good running shoes and go from there.
                The power rack is cool, but running shoes and a 14 miles course arent exactly a positive for the arthritic knees.

Get a good Elliptical runner, low to no impact. Aside from runing 5 miles 3 times a week, i spend 1 hours twice a week in an elliptical runner.

its more exciting than a bike and it incooperates the arms.
                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

• Jellybean400
                  gone
                  • Jan 2005

Yeah, i was gonna say...no running for knee arthritis. And i cant do any standing and lifting either. Thanks Irish.

I'm trying to get in better shape for upcoming knee replacements.
                  Last edited by Jellybean400; 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Irishluck31
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2006

The Elliptical will do it, it does make my feet a bit numb for some reason, but it keeps my slowing metabolism working overtime. Getting older sucks. I am still a child at heart and most of the time menatally.
                    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

• Highwaystreets

Originally posted by Irishluck31
                      The Elliptical will do it, it does make my feet a bit numb for some reason, but it keeps my slowing metabolism working overtime. Getting older sucks. I am still a child at heart and most of the time menatally.
                      ok good i thought i was the only one, my right foot becomes numb after like 20 minutes on the eliptical, why is that? haha

Comment

• Jellybean400
                        gone
                        • Jan 2005

Is that like the Gazelle? I will look it up online.

I had my appt. with the ortho doc today. He said low- or non-impact only. I have to try to tough it out for three years until i can get knee replacements.

Comment

• Entre Nous
                          Forum Member
                          • Aug 2004

JB, I just wanted to mention that I got a $750 Nordictrack elliptical for $250 from Sears because someone had put it together and then returned it. The guy at the store tightened up all the parts for me. I had to have it delivered, but I didn't have to put it together from the box, which was nice. It couldn't hurt to check at Sears every once in a while to see what returns they have.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

• Irishluck31
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Highwaystreets
                            ok good i thought i was the only one, my right foot becomes numb after like 20 minutes on the eliptical, why is that? haha

I cant figure it out, i tried loosening my shoes, tightening my shoes. the only thing i found that helps is to put most of my weight on my heels, but then i look like an idiot. I just suck it up.
                            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

• malka881
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jellybean400
                              Is that like the Gazelle? I will look it up online.

I had my appt. with the ortho doc today. He said low- or non-impact only. I have to try to tough it out for three years until i can get knee replacements.
                              Have you tried yoga? It's good for strength, but not so good for cardio. For cardio, there's nothing that beats swimming, but it's hard to fit a pool into most apartments...
                              They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21179 users online. 42 members and 21137 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...