300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Training?

My name is Steph, I'm an "officer hopeful." I'm going to be taking quite a few tests over the next year. The written exam doesn't bother me too much, I feel like I'm prepared for that, it's the physical test that has me petrified.

All of the routines and regimens on here are geared toward the male point of view (at least it seems like they are) and I'm not exactly a guy. I was wondering what exactly the best path for a female would be. Same exercises? Same meal choices? I'm a college student so I have access to an awesome gym and...well...decent food I guess.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on anything that would help me pass this test. The help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
    NYSP -7,822...ohhh the waiting game...
    NYSPP -Test taken 11/15/08

Well, you'll need to train basically the same because you'll be doing the same job. The workout I always recommend is the Navy SeAL prep workout. It is a week by week workout that will bring you from nothing to kicking rear by the time you're ready to join. You really don't need a gym to do it but you will need a pull up bar. A copy of it can be found in my medical files on my site in my sig line below or you could just do a google search.
    Last edited by pkagel; 09-11-2006, 01:14 PM.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Really all that has been said on here about exercising is correct and meal choices. You are training for a career in an environment that you need to be fit, because your life could depend on it some day. In most Academy's you will be held to the same standard as the men. The Academy's that hold women to a lower standard I don't agree with. If you can't pass the standards that everyone must pass then I don't think you should pass the Academy at all.

Read through all of the postings for good workout and health choices, they will help a lot. Don't worry about lifting weights, worry more about cardio i.e. (running, situps, pushups).
      “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” (John Wayne)

Comment

Hi Steph,

As a female, I know where you're coming from.

For training, the most important thing is mindset. Be a winner. As far as I'm concerned, it is extremely rare that a female will be a physical match for a male - but it is every female officer's responsibility to work their arses off to achieve as close to physical gender equality as possible. Push yourself, and train to beat the boys.

Train to win. Train to not just meet the standards, but blow them away.

Best wishes!

Comment

Find yourself a 6 foot block wall or at least a fence and practice going over.
          Then once you get the job, see the above posts.

Comment

Why is it when I read the post title, "Female Training," I thought of something on the order of herding cats?
            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
              Why is it when I read the post title, "Female Training," I thought of something on the order of herding cats?

LMFAO....hmmmmmm.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/crimescen...UserCP&CODE=22

" From the hottest fire, the strongest steel is born. Dance not with the Phoenix, lest she burn you to the quick in an instant, yet none more desireable, both beautiful and terrible." ~~~ thx armoredman

http://www.authorsden.com/plreedwallinger
              www.rainbooks.com
              www.reedwriting.com

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                Haha not exactly what I had in mind....

But thanks for the advice everyone! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
                NYSP -7,822...ohhh the waiting game...
                NYSPP -Test taken 11/15/08

Comment

Originally posted by McL7C13
                  My name is Steph, I'm an "officer hopeful." All of the routines and regimens on here are geared toward the male point of view (at least it seems like they are) and I'm not exactly a guy. I was wondering what exactly the best path for a female would be. Same exercises? Same meal choices? I'm a college student so I have access to an awesome gym and...well...decent food I guess.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on anything that would help me pass this test. The help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
                  Steph, there are many many threads in this H&F section that would apply equally to both male and female candidates. My suggestions would be to read everything you can here on:

a) Running (form, technique, shoe choices, intervals/tempo/long runs, when/how to increase distance/speed/intensity, hill work, mile and a half specific training, cross training, injury prevention, injury recognition, rest days etc. etc.)

b) Pushups and situps (correct form, performance improvement, drills etc. etc.)

c) Nutrition and hydration (understanding "food groups", serving sizes, weight control, nutritonal requirements for a woman your age, nutritional requirements for a physically active female etc.) (understanding the importance of hydration, understanding the implicatons of - and early signs of dehydration)

A side note: With the exception of greater calcium and iron needs, and normally lower overall calorie needs, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the nutritional requirements of males and females.

d) Preparing for the physical agility/fitness testing portion of your testing.

This section of O.com has covered all of these topics in very great detail over the past few years. There is some information that is questionable, but there is also a LOT of information that is very very good. I would encourage you to:

a) start here and do a lot of reading
                  b) start asking lots of questions as you learn more
                  c) start hitting the roads/track/trails

Yes - the vast majority of posts and posters in the H&F section are male. But don't let the important and informative message of each post get lost in the masculine "tone" of the posts. There's a lot of good stuff here, and a lot of it applies to females also.

Comment

As a female (currently in backgrounds) who has passed the entrance tests for both police and USMC, I'd say the hardest part is understanding just how much upper body strength you need. For example, I can easily do 40 or 50 push-ups, but during my fitness test, I had to do a re-do on the dragging the dummy. It weighed more than I did so lifting my own body weight was easier. As an aside, there were no difference between male and female requirements.

I'd recommend following the same general fitness routines as everyone talks about on here but in addition to the running, sit-ups and push-ups that most PATs require, lift weights. Make sure you can drag that 150 lb dummy or do several pull-ups (generally harder than push-ups). Also hand strength is another girls usually have more trouble with.

Comment

I am a female and I have to say I was surprised when I took my first PAT. The 150 lb dummy drag about killed me. It shocked me enough to get my butt to the gym and better myself.
                      I ran ran ran ran ran ran. Got new shoes, some light weight jogging shorts, comfy socks, new sports bra (which need to be changed out every 6 months). I enrolled in several 5k's to give myself that competition feel. I train on the tread mill 4-5 times a week. Then take myself on a road test on the weekend.
                      I also lift weights. Very important to be a "master" of your own body weight, but since we ususally (and should) weight less than the guys, we gotta push harder. So, pull-ups and push-ups are essential, but don't forget about working those major muscles in bench presses (inclined/declined), shoulder presses, and dips.
                      To get my core into shape, I take Pilates. It also helps de-stress and to get in touch with your inner balance. I know kind of hokey sounding but the ideal works. I can do un-assited sit ups, leg lifts and I virtually have no lower back pain. GOOD STUFF
                      Basically, find what's right for you. But, whatever you do, start now and don't quit. PM me if you have questions!!
                      Academy starts Oct 2

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7268 users online. 339 members and 6929 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X