300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn rotator cuff remedies

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to surgery like prolotherapy, acupuncture, etc.? I've got a small tear on the left and a big one on the right. The right side needs to be repaired but I don't want to have to go through the long recovery (I'm rt handed) so I'm looking at other possible remedies.

What ever you decide, becareful.

In our dept, a rotator cuff injury is considered career ending.

So many officer's have torn them. Most have had surgery and were unsuccessful with the results. Some have had additional surgery with no luck. Age was not a factor, the youngest was 24 and the oldest was 53. All have used different doctors.

Is it definately a tear? MRI? Have you tried a sports doctor? Maybe you can get a referral or other suggestions.

You may want to look into this www.grastontechnique.com.
    It has been successfully used on carpal tunnel, tennis elbow etc, when surgery was the next option.

Good luck.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-11-2006, 10:36 AM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I just got back to work following a rotator cuff strain, and it sucks. It's one of those things that takes forever to heal. I did alot of physiotherapy which did help.

For a major tear I don't believe there is any option other than surgery if you wish to return to an almost normal life. For the minor tear I think just rest will do. Also you might want to consider theraputic ultrasound, it helps to get the blood flowing to the area to allow it to heal.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you do it? Both at the same time?

Comment

I had an MRI the other day to confirm the right side because I was pretty sure it was torn. My doctor agreed to have them do the left also due to occasional pain/soreness and history.
        I have lifted weights and practiced martial arts for 25+ years and suffered all of the bumps/bruises/aches/pains/strains that are normally associated with those activities. About 1 1/2 years ago I was working out with my son, doing heavy bench presses, and on the last rep of the last set I was really straining to get the weight up and about 1/2 way through the rep my right shoulder made an ugly noise and that was it. Immediate pain and weakness. Luckily my son was spotting me. Since then I've tried cortisone shots (didn't help), exercises that I got from the physical therapists I work with (have helped some), and keeping the stress off it (NO weight lifting). It has gotten better but I'm still weak on that side and there is still a fair amount of pain and some limited movement (mostly to the rear). The pain can be limiting when doing regular day to day activities - drawing a weapon, punching, throwing, any kind of pushing movement, even sleeping.
        I don't want to be down for any great length of time and I want to avoid surgery if at all possible so I'm game for anything that will help. I'll check out the Graston site. Thanks for the help.

Comment

stretch and strengthen when able.

Comment

Originally posted by WC145
            I don't want to be down for any great length of time and I want to avoid surgery if at all possible so I'm game for anything that will help. I'll check out the Graston site. Thanks for the help.
            The Graston technique worked on my tendonitis. I tried to be Zena backyard warrior and saw tree branches all day. Something was definately wrong when I couldn't hardly move my arm. My reg doc gave me one of those braces, which I wore for about 6 months. It was still so painful, lifting my laptop or just simple tasks. I HAD to wear it for range. I finally went to a sports doc and it took 6 ten minute sessions to get my arm back to 100%. I wish I had done it earlier...but you know how pig headed we can be!!!

A co worker had severe pain due to carpal tunnel. Couldn't hold a coffee mug. His doc, recommended surgery...he did the Graston and hasn't had pain since...

I don't know if it can help you but it is worth a try.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Thanks Deputy, I'll definitely be checking it out. Of course I live in the middle of nowhere so I'll probably have to travel to get treatment but if it works and I can avoid surgery it will be worth it.
              I had tendonitis in my left arm a few years ago, couldn't even pick up a stapler - no grip strength and very painful - a nurse who was also a massage therapist did some deep tissue massage on it and fixed it but holy ***** didn't that hurt. I wish this was as easily repaired. Any temporary pain is better than surgery
              By the way, can you email me a bigger pic of the kitten with the rifle? That's a great pic but too small to print. Thanks!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7470 users online. 372 members and 7098 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X