300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for the hamster wheel?

I need to keep running throughout the winter and it is not always practical or possible w/ snow and what-not. But for the life of me I cannot get the hang of tread-mills. I don't know if I run to heavily or what. I'm 6'3" 230lbs and most of the time when my foot strikes it feels like the belt stops for a second and then starts up again and it throws my stride all off. Clearly I must be doing something wrong or I just may not be as smart as the hamster wheel because I just can't seem to figure it out and run normally on the thing. Any advice would be great. Especially the kind that stops me from looking "special" at the gym.
    When you absolutely, posotively have to go 10 miles in 5 minutes- CVPI!!![/

Originally posted by Ranter64
    I need to keep running throughout the winter and it is not always practical or possible w/ snow and what-not. But for the life of me I cannot get the hang of tread-mills. I don't know if I run to heavily or what. I'm 6'3" 230lbs and most of the time when my foot strikes it feels like the belt stops for a second and then starts up again and it throws my stride all off. Clearly I must be doing something wrong or I just may not be as smart as the hamster wheel because I just can't seem to figure it out and run normally on the thing. Any advice would be great. Especially the kind that stops me from looking "special" at the gym.
    I cant really explain how to run on a treadmill...
    Sounds like you are stomping the treadmill to hard or its a cheap treadmill.. I have run on them with no problems at 248lbs..

So find a basketball gym to run in...

Comment

Take a look at the way your feet impact with the running surface (ie. treadmill belt). Shoot for something that looks like this: heel, roll through the flat of your foot, push off through your big toe. Keep your strides very short, and try to increase the number of times your foot strikes the surface each minute (foot turnover rate).

To figure out your foot turnover rate right now, count each stride on your right (or left) foot for one minute and then multiply by 2. They've done studies that show that the most efficient runners (at all levels) have a turnover rate around (I'm going from memory here) 180 steps per minute.

Shorter strides and faster foot turnover (on all running surfaces, not just the treadmill) will increase running economy, decrease the amount of energy you expend, lower impact forces and improve speed.

Having said all of that, this may not be your problem at all, but I would take a look at this first. But there's nothing wrong with being "special" either!

Comment

Originally posted by Ranter64
        I'm 6'3" 230lbs and most of the time when my foot strikes it feels like the belt stops for a second and then starts up again and it throws my stride all off. :
        I have the same problem. The belt is stuttering because it's draging on the deck near the front of the treadmill. Also the motor is no longer handling the load due to being too small and/or worn out. I bet too that if you jump off the belt as it's running it will instantly pick up speed. My department has a brand new truely commercial grade treadmill so for the first time in years I can run on a soft surface at a speed that is actually what the readout says it is.

Treadmills take and incredible beating and must be maintained and even replaced frequently(in a gym setting). Either find another treadmill, fix the one your on or try something else because that one is only going to get worse and you'er going to get hurt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6468 users online. 338 members and 6130 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X