300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my Pre-Training Training

I was recently informed that I have a very very high probability of getting on at a local PD I applied to. If hired, I will go to work and then within 1 year they will send me to the Police Academy. I know for a fact that for the PT you have to finish a 1 1/2 mile run under 16:30 and do 30 push ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 jumping jacks (not too bad huh). I ran my first 1 1/2 mile today and done it in 18:15. I don't think that is too bad (I walked a lot catching my breath). I am 28 y/o and haven't run any significant length since High School 10 years ago. At 28 I will likely be the "Old Rookie" in the academy since making a move to LE at this age. I think I did pretty well considering how out of shape I am. If hired, I will probably have 5 to 6 months before I go off to the academy. I'll either go to the 1st academy of the year which starts in January 2006 or the second which starts in April or May. So I have 4 months (including October) if I go in Jan. or 8 months if I go in May. I am in okay physical condition so I'm not too worried as long as I stick to the running through time to go (if I get hired). If I don't get the job, well, I need to be in shape anyway for the next application. Any thoughts on my times?

16:30 for the run huh? Geeze why bother, I could fast walk that.

This standard can be accomplished by just jogging for 1.5 to 3 miles, 4-5 days a week.

Comment

Yeah, it does seem easy to me. I know I could have easily done it at 21. I am only 28 but I am out of shape. The other officer's who have went through the academy say that you have 12 weeks to accomplish this and they run everyday plus do 30 situps, 30 pushups, and 30 jumping jacks (which I can do now). I could easily wait to get to the academy before I started the running and save myself a lot of trouble but, I am want to be top of the class or at least strive to be the best I can. I would love to outrun all of those guys, out do them at the range, and out do everyone academically. I know that I will probably not accomplish this but I think it is worth every effort to do the best I can and for now, getting in shape will help me with the PT, even if it does seem easy enough.

Comment

16:30 is gravy....The one I just took was 15:52 and I blew that away. I'm 35yo by the way and haven't run distances in 13+ years. Give it a couple weeks and you'll be fine.
        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Its pretty easy stantards with minimal trainning you will do the times. I would suggest you train regulary just to have a good condition and be ready for the job on the street. Good luck with your hiring...for being the older...you might be but I remember I had one or 30 year old guy in the academy...while I was the one of the youngest with my 20...

Comment

Man, I wish I would have had 16:30 to do a mile an a half. I just graduated the academy here in Iowa in July. It was rough, but I made it. I was the old man of the group at 30. That was rare because most of the classes have someone floating through in their forties. Don't bet on having all that time before you go to the academy. I had 6 days notice before I had to do my entrance test. I did that before I was officially hired. Then three weeks later I was thrown into the academy. Because of my age I had to run the mile and a half in 13:36, 24 pushups, and 36 situps. That was to get in. To graduate I had to run 12:51, 29 pushup, and 38 situps.

When I was trying to get back in shape, I was 28, I did interval training. I have seen some posts here on that. Run a lap fast pace, then another lap at your normal pace. Keep doing that and run two miles. Try to get your two mile time at the 16:30. It is possible, just stick with it and you'll be there very soon. Good luck.

Covman

Comment

28 is old?

Comment

I have heard that 28 in a police academy is getting on up there. lol The local PD here just had a guy come back that was 29 and he was the "old man" in the group and was teased by other recruits. Funny huh. lol Naa I didn't think so either.

Comment

Being honest your runtime now is shockingly bad. Good news, it can only improve. Our slowest female recruit ran faster than 11:45 and she was 33!!!

You need to get out there and run run run. As others have said try interval running, sprints, and long distant running. Check out runnerworld.com and check out the links for running tips.
                  Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

Just Finished an Academy

I just finished an academy, our oldest recruit was 51 and he was a road guard. All you really need to do is...do it...run, interval running is really good to decrease time. Sprint straight a ways and JOG curves...if you can. Listen to your body though; don't injure yourself before you even start the academy. Same with the rest of the physical test just keep training doing exactly what you'll be tested on. When you rest on push-ups stay in the front leaning rest position, if your academy is anything like mine you'll be in that position a lot!! Hope this helps!

Comment

28 is definitely NOT old! I'm 45 (46 next month) and just recently completed my physical fitness test:

1.5 miles run - 10:38
                      Sit-ups in 1 min - 52
                      Pushups in 1 min - 51
                      100 meter swim - 1:21

I'm not as fast as I was when I was 28, but I can still keep up with most of the twenty-something
                      Last edited by Phoenix; 10-09-2005, 07:55 PM.
                      Phoenix

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                        28 is definitely NOT old! I'm 45 (46 next month) and just recently completed my physical fitness test:
                        Ya old Bastard! Fit old Bastard at that
                        Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5546 users online. 341 members and 5205 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X