300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very disappointed in myself

We had our annual P.T. testing. Our department does it every fall.

All my pushups-situps-sit and reach went fine.

Then we got to the 1.5 mile run. We run it outside on an open trail. We run down for 3/4 mile and turn around and come back. On the way down I was doing a pretty decent jog and feeling really good. When I got to the turn around my time was 6:20... I was right on pace.

Not to make excuses, but on the way back we had a huge wind right in our face. It felt like I was running with a huge plow behind me. I started to get really winded. I ended up finishing the run 13:17. The required time for my age, in my state is 12:51.

I have been training really hard for the run and am really let down.
    Retired 02/01/13

i know the feeling, i am getting back in shape so i can get back into law enforcement, the other day a cold front blew in, winds sustained around 30 to 35, gust up to almost 50mph. not only did i keep losing my balance when stretching, but i couldnt finish my run. that kind of wind sucks, bad that you had it on a day that you didnt need it.

Comment

Bigcop - so what's the fallout from failing the 1.5?

If many people failed the run due to high winds, is there a chance of redoing that portion of the test?

Sorry it was a bad run. No matter how hard you train, sometimes things just don't go according to plan when it counts - that "sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug" thing.

You can take solace in knowing that you trained hard for it, and did your best on the day. And the fact that there's always another chance in the future to get it right.

Comment

I was fortunate our annual was right after the academy, but I can feel your pain as I have lost 3 minutes off my 4 miler in slightly over 8 weeks...

Keep your chin up!
        Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

The fallout: No big deal I guess. It is just going to reflect poorly on my yearly evals. I dont get fired or anything...

I also have one opportunity to rerun it sometime the next three weeks. I talked with a buddy of mine that runs all the time and he is going to pace me. Should be golden....
          Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Bummer dude. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Running into a headwind puts you at a large disadvantage, even if you had an equal tailwind for half the run.

At the end of the day, did you do your absolute best? If yes, don't be disappointed in yourself, just consider this a challenge to improve.

If you didn't do your best, then work on your mentality, and train harder.

Good luck next testing!

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97
              The fallout: No big deal I guess. It is just going to reflect poorly on my yearly evals. I dont get fired or anything...I also have one opportunity to rerun it sometime the next three weeks. I talked with a buddy of mine that runs all the time and he is going to pace me. Should be golden....
              Then don't beat yourself up over it. The wind was a factor completely outside of your control, rather than a function of some "failure" on your part. Chances are your same performance would have actually exceeded your expectations without the wind.

You can only be "disappointed" (or, for that matter, "proud") of your training and performance, without the external factors. If it had been a tail wind instead of a head wind, you'd have run the time of your life; but it would be equally unrealistic to brag about that as it is unfair to consider the exact same performance on your part, only while running into the wind, a personal failure.

As a practical matter, either train in a head wind or train to get your time down enough to give you a cushion in case you hit a head wind again. But whether it results in a better or worse run time, wind is a completely random factor, and the direction it happens to blow on a particular day isn't something that should make the difference in how you feel about your performance.
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Re-ran the test today, ran mile and a half in 12:30....

I will take it...
                Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Glad it worked out for you! Good job.

Hope you'll now take it easier on yourself.

Comment

Good job!
                    Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6482 users online. 363 members and 6119 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X