X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRT6
    replied
    Pro,
    Actually 70's is right as I first learned about it Arnold's "Encylopdia of Bodybuilding" which was written in the 70's and I swear was Arnold's attempt to make sure everyone was too overtrained to compete with him.

I don't do my curls in a squat rack but I do do them in a power rack.
    Last edited by JRT6; 10-14-2005, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BigPat
    replied
    To the original poster, here are soem better ways to use your dumbells at home than biceps curls....

Lunges
    Lateral or front raises
    Thrusters- an extremely brutal exercise. A combination jump squat/shoulder press
    Overhead triceps extensions
    woodchoppers

If you have heavier dumbbells
    dumbell squat
    dumbell hang clean
    dumbell shoulder press

just a few suggestions for ya...

Leave a comment:

• BigPat
    replied
    I personally would not do more than 9-12 sets per week of biceps exercises. Biceps are a minor muscle group and should be treated as such. Doing endless sets of curls is a waste of time and is counterproductive. The guys that go to the gym and do 2 hours worth of curls in a workout are accomplishing nothing. Don't be one of those guys. And whatever you do, DO NOT be the guy doing curls in the squat rack!

Personally my biceps routine goes something like this:
    Pick 2-3 exercises, do 3-4 sets of each:
    Neutral grip (palms facing) lat pulldown
    Heavy hammer curls (I use heavy dumbells, so my form is a little loose, but I don't overdo it and cheat too much)
    Barbell curls
    Preacher Curls
    Incline bench dumbell curls.

I do some heavy rows prior to this which also indirectly work biceps. For me the "less is more" strategy has worked extremely well on biceps work.

Leave a comment:

• NDubs55
    replied
    If you are going for the toned look rather than the bulk look, choose a set of dumbells that are reasonably heavy but easy enough to lift. You can do the standard curls, preacher curls, reverse curls, incline curls, reverse incline (where you sit on the incline bench with your chest against the back board curls), hammer curls and straight bar curls. Your bicep has different heads to hit. doing the same exercise you are doing the same head all the time. If you switch up your routine and incorporate different exercises, the muscle stimulates and results may come quicker than you expected. Repetion of an exercise is not the best course of action. Your not doing much for all the muscles in your bicep. Mix it up, do different sorts of curls, keep your body guessing. I was just kind of wondering.... why just curls? you should be doing your shoulders and triceps as well. Tricep formation is actually a vital part of bicep formation. Also, mixing up speeds and letting it burn by going slow or go for stamina and go fast (but controlled). Just keep trying different things.

Leave a comment:

• ProWriter
    replied
    JRT, I was hoping you'd chime in before the "21 Club" reacted. I'd have said 70's myself, and for all I know, it goes back even farther in time than that. I also agree on the specific use of partial range training for strength purposes; the old step-style squat rack helped me out, in particular, when I started training (for heavy partial rep squats, not curls).
    Last edited by ProWriter; 10-14-2005, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JRT6
    replied
    While I definately believe in the bennefit of partial reps, I agree with Pro on that "21's" are an absolute waste of time. They are nothing but an 80's gimmick that refuses to die.

If your stuck with dumbells try this on the last set only: Run the rack. Do as many reps as you can with a pair of dumbells then pick up a lighter set and do those until failure, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ProWriter
    replied
    "21's" etc

Originally posted by nctroop14
    Hey All...I was just wondering if anyone has any quick (10-20 min) bicep exercises that utilize dumbells. I have some at the house and have been using them regularly. It gets boring after awhile doing the same thing! Does anyone have any exercises that they like to do? I am not looking to get huge arms, just some toned ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
    NC, weight training is exactly that: TRAINING. Don't choose exercises based on boredom, because weight training isn't necessarily supposed to be "fun" and because you're doing it for a specific purpose (to build/shape your arms). You don't really alter your LE tactical training for "boredom" either, but only for tactical purposes and to make muscle memory automatic; same with weight training, in that you select exercises for their intended purposes, not for fun.

You can always change variables like the amount of rest between sets, or between workouts, the number of target reps per set, training to 100% failure on every set going up vs. only on your heaviest set, pyramiding up and/or down, etc, etc. But the basic exercise is the same for biceps (namely, some form of curl). Change all those variables if your body is getting too used to any one type of workout, but never because of "boredom."

Excerpt from a fitness magazine article I authored a long time ago. No offense intended, since this article predates the existence of O.com.

...There are all sorts of popular
    Last edited by ProWriter; 10-13-2005, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ctt
    replied
    Originally posted by benjen0404
    definetly do 21's your arms will go into shock the first time you try it
    Is that where you can't fully extend your arms for a couple days?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    definetly do 21's your arms will go into shock the first time you try it

Leave a comment:

• nctroop14
    replied
    All of the suggestions sound good! That is what I was looking for. Thanks for replying

Leave a comment:

• IronKing
    replied
    I like to superset hammercurls and pushups.

Do one set of hammercurls then drop down and do as many pushups as possible. This will equal one set. No rest between exercises. Do this for a couple of weeks and then tell me what you think.

You can also do 21's with dumbells

7 reps partial
    7 reps halfway
    7 reps full

All of this is done back to back don't put the dumbells down. All together will equal 21. Have Fun!

Leave a comment:

• savage4presiden
    replied
    I have a workout with dumbells that really works well for me.
    For this to really make a difference you have to do these sets on right after the other.

30 reps of curls (as much weight as you can handle)
    30 reps of vertical, over-head lifts: start with the dumbells at your shoulders and then lift them straight up.
    30 reps of behind the head lifts: Use one dumbell, grab it with both hands, and lower it between your shoulder blades and then lift it straight up.

Leave a comment:

• nctroop14
    started a topic Bicep Exercises

Bicep Exercises

Hey All...I was just wondering if anyone has any quick (10-20 min) bicep exercises that utilize dumbells. I have some at the house and have been using them regularly. It gets boring after awhile doing the same thing! Does anyone have any exercises that they like to do? I am not looking to get huge arms, just some toned ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3709 users online. 199 members and 3510 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X