300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multivitamins

What is the best multivitamin out there... Most of us don't eat right because of the odd hours we work. I have an amazing immune system... I haven't been sick in years (aside from puking from drinking) but I can definately feel the diffrence in my energy levels now versus 10 years ago when I was 21.
    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Vitamins and batteries have one thing in common: there's absolutely no difference in quality between store brands and the ones with labels from the big companies, like "GNC" and "Duracell", respectively. In both cases, they LITERALLY roll off the same conveyor belt at the huge manufacturing plants who supply both the generics and the name brands, after affixing the appropriate labels before shipping. In the case of vitamins, some manufacturers (like Solgar, I believe) do their own manufacturing, but there's still no difference at all in quality.

Look at the label on the expensive, name brand B-complex multi-vitamin and then just find the cheapest store brand with roughly the same amount of each vitamin/mineral, (often they'll be identical, mgm for mgm, for each component) and then put the name brand bottle back on the shelf when you're done comparing the two.
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
      Look at the label on the expensive, name brand B-complex multi-vitamin and then just find the cheapest store brand with roughly the same amount of each vitamin/mineral, (often they'll be identical, mgm for mgm, for each component) and then put the name brand bottle back on the shelf when you're done comparing the two.
      I suggest One Source's Pure Performance (essentially the wal-mart version of Centrum Performance).

Comment

Ive seen reports or articles in Mens Health that say the One a day CENTRUM SILVEr is the best multi out there.
        I got nothing for now

Comment

I use some womens pills from GNC...

Of course I can never remember to take em...lol
          THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

One a Day (in all its various promotions) seems to be the best out there and reasonably priced.

As for the battery comment, I beg to differ, I only use the best batteries as the cheap ones never seem to last as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem
              As for the battery comment, I beg to differ, I only use the best batteries as the cheap ones never seem to last as long.
              It's been tested by Consumers Union (Consumer Reports), and the fact that the battery under both labels is, in most cases, identical is absolutely true. On the rare occasion that any name brand lasted longer than a generic, the difference was negligible, (like an hour), and never anything remotely approaching the difference in price. The only real distinction is that batteries labeled "heavy duty" have the worst life span, across the board. You also have to compare types of cells (alkaline/non-alkaline, etc) to the same types, and there's no difference if you do. Just do an Internet search for "batteries + name + brand + generic, etc.
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I agree I use the store brand too, although GNC did make my pee glow in the dark.

I buy the cheapo batteries now but notice a distinct difference between them and the big brands. Actually with two kids I've been using rechargables with great success.

Comment

well... im using a multivitamin thats about 11 tablets total 3 times a week...
                  im sure some of you have heard of them... they are the universal animal pak...
                  i can honestly say, they do their job well beyond your typical single tablet multivitiman.
                  those single tablet mulitvits are not all that in my opinion.

Comment

From Consumer Reports:

Recommendations

The performance of the new high-drain alkalines tested for this Update hasn't changed our basic battery-shopping advice: For all but demanding, high-drain gear, buy batteries by price because cheaper brands usually work as well as costlier ones. There are many brands of alkaline batteries that perform about as well as the standard Duracells and Energizers tested for this report, and some cost significantly less. Cheaper brands that did well in our December 1999 report include Walgreens Ultra-Alkaline 805784 (50 cents each when bought in a 10-pack), and Rayovac Maximum 815 (53 cents each when bought in a 12-pack).

For high-drain usage, such as powering a digital or flash camera, the Duracell Ultra M3 delivered very good performance and outlasted the other batteries tested for this Update. But at 99 cents, the Ultra M3 is less cost-effective than standard alkalines. Rechargeable NiMH batteries can also be fine choices for high-drain devices and are more economical than even standard alkalines for such use in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper4985
                      What is the best multivitamin out there
                      Agree with ProWriter on the battery thing.

Re: the vitamins, my personal preferance is the chewable ones - the ones with Fred and Dino and Bam Bam

Comment

Friend of mine worked at an Energizer plant up until about 3 months ago, he said the off-brand batteries they produce are the exact same inside as the Energizer batteries.

Comment

As part of my daily routine, I eat breakfast and then take a One Source Complete multivitamin. I do notice a difference when I take a vitamin and when I do not. As far as quality goes, I judge the vitamin's potency by the color of my urine... If the "stream" is not a neon color then I feel I am not getting my money's worth. It has been a long time since I have taken one a day or centrum. I feel there are better brands out there on the market. I used to take GNC mega men, but they were expensive and wanted me to take them twice a day. I have enough things to remember. I truly recommend trying One Source. You can find them in Walmart. I have been very happy with them. Hope this helps!

CT

Comment

Originally posted by criticalthinker
                            As part of my daily routine, I eat breakfast and then take a One Source Complete multivitamin. I do notice a difference when I take a vitamin and when I do not. As far as quality goes, I judge the vitamin's potency by the color of my urine... If the "stream" is not a neon color then I feel I am not getting my money's worth.
                            I've read that the "neon" urine comes from vitamins/minerals that are in a form that your body cannot process quickly enough or does not want, so it passes the left over through. The writer used this to differentiate between colloidal and elemental minerals.

I've also read that this may just be due to there being too much of the minerals/vitamins and that your body cannot process all of it.

I have no idea what is true and what is not, though...

Comment

Wouldn't critical thinking require researching the meaning of off-color urine before drawing any conclusions from it? Not having researched it myself, I'd bet that the change in urine color probably indicates that you're excreting all the water soluble vitamins in excess of what your body assimilates. Actually, if you're taking more concentrated individual vitamins instead of a multi-vitamin, you should worry a lot more about the fat-soluble ones (like A & E), that DON'T affect urine color, precisely because they ARE stored in your fat cells, long-term over consumption of which (especially Vitamin A) are known to be associated with several harmful medical conditions.

Pretty soon I'm going to demand a contribution toward my Consumer Reports On-line subscription from everybody on this thread, but here's their warning list of vitamin/mineral-related over-consumption:

Nutrient DAILY VALUE
                              GENERALLY SAFE UPPER LIMIT
                              POSSIBLE OVERDOSE RISKS

Calcium
                              1,000 mg
                              2,500 mg
                              Kidney stones, kidney damage; reduced nutrient absorption

Folic acid
                              400 mcg
                              1,000 mcg
                              Masking of B12 deficiency, which can damage nerves

Iron
                              18 mg
                              45 mg
                              Constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting; possible damage to liver and other organs

Magnesium
                              400 mg
                              350 mg
                              Diarrhea

Niacin
                              20 mg
                              35 mg
                              Flushing; gastrointestinal distress

Selenium
                              70 mcg
                              400 mcg
                              Breakage or loss of hair and nails

Vitamin A
                              5,000 IU
                              10,000 IU
                              Liver damage; bone fractures; birth defects

Vitamin B6
                              2 mg
                              100 mg
                              Nerve damage in the feet and hands

Vitamin C
                              60 mg
                              2,000 mg
                              Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea; possible increased risk of kidney stones

Vitamin D
                              400 IU
                              2,000 IU
                              Excessive blood-calcium levels; possible damage to kidneys and other organs

Vitamin E
                              30 IU
                              natural: 1,500 IU
                              synthetic: 1,100 IU
                              Increased bleeding in people taking anticlotting drugs

Zinc
                              15 mg
                              40 mg
                              Reduced copper levels in blood
                              Last edited by ProWriter; 10-02-2005, 06:21 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3316 users online. 150 members and 3166 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X