300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in the shins ....

Here is my problem. I can run sprints no problem, but when I want to try and run long distances I get sharp pains in my shins just a few minutes into running. I guess you can call these "shin-splints" ? Is there a way to get around this problem? It's not my shoes cause I have good running shoes. What can I do? Please help!
    “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” - Erwin Rommel

I had splints pretty bad a few years ago. So bad that when they finally did X-rays, they found two long hairline breaks across the shin (tib) bone.

What to do:
    1) you may have expensive shoes but are they the right shoe. Some are better for insteps or out. may just check with a local running store for more on that.

2) The big one is stretching those bad boys. I tried to explain a few stretches but it sounded too confusing, sorry. There are a couple good stretching exercises for shins. Stretch before and after your run.

3) Ice. If they hurt that bad after running, ice them. You will have to rest them for a few days. Ride a bike or swim for cardio if you have to but take it easy on them.

Comment

My wife did a writeup on shin splints in the medical files section of my forum. check it out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Try strengthening the muscles. I recommend using a rubber therapy band or surgical tubing. Anchor the tubing on the floor under something heavy (couch) and then secure the other end around your foot with your toes extended. Then flex your foot up against the resistance of the band.

Check the shoe thing as mentioned earlier. Make sure its the right shoe not just a good or expensive shoe. After exercising make sure you ice them down and take some ibuprofen to help reduce inflamation.

The vast majority of the cadets with shin splints I deal with have reported that the strengthening exercises have worked wonders.
        Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

You can also use the search function here for old shin splint threads. The main issue is to distinguish pain caused by microscopic stress fractures in the bone from pressure-related pain caused by anterior tibialis compartment syndrome (ATCS). The former is usually a function of bad running shoes and/or hard surfaces (often cured by rest and additional arch support); the latter is a function of swelling of the small group of muscles so that they become painfully compressed (and/or starved for oxygen) within the membranous sheath that encases them (best cured by a simple surgical procedure to slit open that sheath to allow room for muscular expansion. Picture the membrane covering the meat on a chicken leg.) More details and suggestions for relief on those old threads.
          Last edited by ProWriter; 09-21-2005, 10:35 AM.
          No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

i went from a $140 pr of asics shoes to a pair of $75 new balance (which look like 1982 fastbaks), but it was what i needed,, things are much gooder now.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
              i went from a $140 pr of asics shoes to a pair of $75 new balance (which look like 1982 fastbaks), but it was what i needed,, things are much gooder now.
              Thats the goodest news I've heard all day!
              Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                Thats the goodest news I've heard all day!
                that is the word of the day in case you were wondering.

but that, icing them, and stretching has helped a lot,,hence, things are much gooder now.

i also read an article online about how runners from africa and what not dont get the splints cause they grew up and still dont usually wear shoes, makes their ankles stronger,,there were also some strengthing exercises they recommended, you ever heard bout that.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                  ...there were also some strengthing exercises they recommended, you ever heard bout that.
                  Yes, I outlined the exercises on the old shin splint threads. Be careful with that though: if the pain is from ATCS, (as opposed to under-developed/weak muscles in that area), the LAST thing you want to do is train those muscles, because they get pumped up and grow, which only makes the problem worse. I normally do them for a few minutes after calves, but when I was getting ready to run before testing with LVMPD, the only way I was able to run 1.5 without having to stop to massage them and let the ATCS pain subside was to stop training them altogether, in addition to doing the stretching, careful warmup before and icing after thing for every run.
                  No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

i think most of my problem was shoes, i had the right ones for pronating, but they didnt have enuff cushon in the heels,, i strike hard,
                    i dont think weak ankles or shins is my problem, when i pull my foot up, you can see the muscle flex, big time,
                    however, i still have some pain, but what concerns me is that on the insides of my legs, where the pain is, the skin looks kind of glossy and where the hair grows out, the folicals, or whatever, look like millions of little red dots, between the glossy skin and the red dots, i know my legs are swollen in that area, and its only where the pain is. i noticed this the other day,,but again the pain has greatly subsided, but is still there, now its a really annoying pain, more so than really hurting, like it used to .

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                      Try strengthening the muscles. I recommend using a rubber therapy band or surgical tubing. Anchor the tubing on the floor under something heavy (couch) and then secure the other end around your foot with your toes extended. Then flex your foot up against the resistance of the band.
                      AH-HAH!!! Thats kinda what I was trying to write last night but was too damn tired to make any sense. I used a towel to put over my toes and flaxed them as I held on to the open ends and made resistence. That way I was able to stretch and work those muscles anywhere. Thanks PTI.

Good call on the meds for pain. Goodest luck of all and hopefully you'll be gooder soon.
                      Last edited by CarCop; 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Easiest way is reverse calf raises; no equipment needed at all: Stand backwards (facing the next lowest step) on a step with your heels on the edge and the front 3/4 of your feet in the air. Lower the front of your foot a few inches before flexing them as high up as they go. You can do it on a flat surface, too, but you get a much fuller range of motion off an elevated step. Hold on to something to keep your balance.

Comment

I'll just pile on here on the shoes topic. I buy my shoes from a specialty running store in CA called The Snail's Pace. You should have something similar out there. What they do is bring in your old shoes, watch you run and then you try on 5 or 10 pair of shoes and they watch you run, talk to you about each pair and fit them to you perfectly. I have had no problems w/ shin splints since I started buying shoes there. I ended up w/ a pair of NB shoes in size 10EE. They are the best shoes I have ever bought but were by no means the most expensive pair they sold, they were just the right pair for me.
                          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

shin splints

Hey guys, I thought I'd drop a line to help some of you to relieve the pain from shin splints. I used to be an assistant physical trainer and we used this with a very good result in almost all cases. There are two causes for this condition: 1. The one that most are familiar with, is hairline fratures in the 'shin'.
                            2. It is also causd by a seperation of the muscles from the 'shin bone'. Both instances are a chronic injury that occurs from running on hard surfaces. There is a lot of force transmitted to the anterior of the tibia (shin) while jogging. To remedy this condition you can wrap the tibia to stop the jarring from occurring. Wrap firmly, not tightly, but enough to relieve the pain while jogging. And also run on soft surfaces for about 3 week or more, if needed. After your 'shin splints' condition is healed continue to only run on soft surfaces. Once you've had shin splints you are prone to get them again really easily. Running on soft surfaces is hard to do since all tracks you find are hard, but there are some that are covered with a rubber covering. And it is the track that is giving you shin splints. Track,basketball, and volleyball athletes, were the ones who we would treat all the time for this same reason. Football, soccer, and baseball player would rarely get these. SORRY SOOO LONG AND REALLY BORING,BUT MEDICAL CONDITIONS ARE HARD TO MAKE FUN.

Comment

last thursday i got a terrible shin splint in my right leg.

i attribute it to poor stretching and improper shoes. the next day i went and bought some proper running shoes and waited 3 days before i ran next.

the shin splint is no longer there and the correct shoes knocked about 50 seconds off my 1.5 mile time.
                              Applied to Marietta PD-August 8, 2005
                              Written test passed-August 16, 2005
                              Background book turned in-September 6, 2005
                              Oral board passed-September 12, 2005
                              Psych test-September 16, 2005
                              Polygraph test passed-September 26, 2005

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5778 users online. 328 members and 5450 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X