300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Abs Diet

I just picked this up from the library and am reading through some of it now. Who has read it here? Any input about the book?

Is it better than Atkin's? (This is for krj....)
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Originally posted by Welpe
    I just picked this up from the library and am reading through some of it now. Who has read it here? Any input about the book?
    Is it better than Atkin's? (This is for krj....)
    A Welpe with an attitude, eh?

Alright my friend - if you follow the advice in this book you will:

1) have abs of steel - a 6 pack - hell no, a 12 pack (it's that damn good of a book)

2) increase the size of not only your chest, arms, shoulders and back, but also any and all other body parts ( ) that need to "bulk up"

3) lose every last ounce of body fat - no matter how much Atkins crap you stuff your face with (didn't they just file for bankrupcy BTW?)

4) grow back any and all hair you may have lost over the past few years

5) become the object of uncontrollable desire for all good-looking females between the ages of 18 and 48, that you come in contact with

6) increase your IQ by 50 points and

7) grow 4 inches taller

Now hurry little friend, and read quickly, so you don't have to fork out dough for late charges.

Comment

All this in just a book?! Why, I would pay like $50 for this!

And as a side note, I never actually did Atkins, just bought and read the stupid book!

Seriously, I haven't read too much but the book seems to emphasize what you and others have been saying, krj. A sensible eating style and exercise.
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

I bought the book about 1 1/2 mo. ago and began the diet w/ a friend about 4 weeks ago. Within 1 week I lost 3lbs. w/o changing a whole lot in my diet. my buddy went from 250 to 237 in 3 weeks, while maintaining muscle.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to shed pounds and build muscle. Well worth it.

Stay Safe!!

p.s. www.menshealth.com
        ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

For about the 100th time, you don't need any special "diet" or "program" or books to lose your body fat by improving your diet. Also, virtually ANY "diet" or "program" will "work" for the first few weeks or so, but very few are sustainable over the long term, (especially by anybody who's used to all the foods that accounted for being heavy, in the first place).

About three months ago, I had to spend a week in Tampa for work and I stayed with an old friend of mine who moved down there from NYC about 10 years ago. (He only lives a few minutes from Mons Venus ) At 6'-5" He was always pretty lean (naturally), but had put on some extra weight and softened up since I last saw him. I just took his *** to his usual supermarket, taught him how to read labels, and showed him all the substitute foods readily available in the same place he already shops that would enable him to keep his fat intake below 40 grams/day, and to substitute complex carbs for simple carbs, without any "dieting." He's already back at his ideal weight and down about 25 lbs, he has abs again, hasn't had any urge to go back to eating the way he was before, and he LIKES what he's eating.

Atkins is probably "OK" in theory, but in PRACTICE, mobrien is about the only person I've ever talked to in 3 years, (either on here or in person) who's actually done it 100% correctly and stuck to it without a single slip up since day One. But Atkins is probably even harder NOT to slip up on, over the long term, Atkins is a lot LESS forgiving than other "diets" when you do slip up, and if you try to do it half-assed, fuhggettaboutitt. That's why it's really no "solution" for people who had no long term luck with any other "diet" previously.
          Last edited by ProWriter; 09-16-2005, 08:20 AM.
          No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWriter
            For about the 100th time, you don't need any special "diet" or "program" or books to lose your body fat by improving your diet. Also, virtually ANY "diet" or "program" will "work" for the first few weeks or so, but very few are sustainable over the long term, (especially by anybody who's used to all the foods that accounted for being heavy, in the first place).
            Heres the bottom line for fat loss. 1lb of fat equals 3500 calories. For every 3500 calories you burn away during exercise or don't consume you will lose 1lb of fat.
            By far the best workout/diet program I have ever encountered is the "Pushaway Program" Its quite simple and there are no books or videos to buy. You simply push your fat body away from the dinner table and go exercise.
            Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
              Heres the bottom line for fat loss. 1lb of fat equals 3500 calories. For every 3500 calories you burn away during exercise or don't consume you will lose 1lb of fat.
              I agree with the "pushaway" thing, but the 3500-calorie thing is a myth. Not that a pound of fat doesn't constitute 3500 calories, but the part about that having any relevance at all to dieters, and here's why:

For one thing, people vary greatly in their metabolism and physiology; some people gain fat very easily and have a hard time losing it while others store very little fat and lose it easily. More importantly, it is absolutely impossible to lose only fat by dieting, because you always lose a certain proportion of muscle tissue anytime you lose weight, and that exact proportion is only one more factor that differs from person to person. Incidentally, that's also why losing weight by dieting and regaining it repeatedly is worse for you than just staying fat unless or until you decide to make a one-time lifestyle change: because while you always lose approximately as much muscle as fat when dieting, you gain back virtually all fat when you gain your weight back off the dietary wagon. So, every time you yo-yo up and down, you end up "weighing" the same, but you've replaced some muscle tissue with fat tissue.
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

Pro I realize it's not so much a plan as it is a life style change, I figure I've learned that much from these forums. I borrowed the book because a few people on here have recommended checking it out and I wanted to see what others thought of it.

I think one reason I tend to gravitate towards these things is that I like a structured program, something I can see, follow and what not.

Edit: As far as the original Atkin's comment, I hope you all realize that was a joke.

Comment

for me, and others i'm sure, that are healthy eating and weight training impaired, this was a great book, it laid it out plain and simple, i had no idea how to classify foods, i went from 254lb down to 220lb, in around 3 months, and have maintained it, now going on 6 months, but i have concentrated on running and upper body endurance for last couple months,
                  but again, for those of us that know nothing about what food does what, or what the ingredients crap list means, the only way to learn is to research, i have looked through magazines, web sites, so on, it wasnt english to me, however this book was, so i learned.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4790 users online. 281 members and 4509 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X