300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions Please

If my spine it so messed up that I can not physically lift weights anymore or walk very far. What type of exercises can I do to get back in shape again after years of not being able? Thanks in advance for advice on this.

-Brad

If you can't excercise due to a spinal injury, I'd consult a qualified physical therapist. Not police on the internet. Seriously, you don't want to take some know-it-all's word and cause further damage.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
      If you can't excercise due to a spinal injury, I'd consult a qualified physical therapist. Not police on the internet. Seriously, you don't want to take some know-it-all's word and cause further damage.
      I'd start with a general physical from your family doctor if you have not exercised for a period of time - so you can:

a) discuss your desire to exercise
      b) identify current contraindications (physical conditions that may preclude you from certain activities eg. your current back condition)
      c) identify other possible health issues that may have arisen due to lifestyle choices (heart disease, high BP, high cholesterol etc.) that would be impacted by physical activity

At that point I agree with Centurion re: the physical therapist and NOT taking advice from unknown people over the internet.

There's a lot of variables that will dictate what you are and are not able to do, and a lot depends on the nature of the injury itself - not all spine injuries are created equal. Start with the doc, and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
        Random Person on the Internet: u shuld uze teh NaVy SEAL FiTnEsS PrOgRaM. itz wurk gud 4 me.

Seriously. Do not end up a paraplaegic because you decided to weight train cause some collection of text on the internet told you to. SNAP, time to get an aid monkey.
        N. A. Corbier
        Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
        Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Thank you all for your comments on my post, you all are very nice. I have asked my Dr and had 5 procedures to try and help me. I used to be very big muscle wise, but since I have been in so much pain I am very flabby now. That is why I quit being a law enforcement officer. I miss it so much, I want to try and get back into shape now. I will ask my Dr about it and see what he suggests. Thanks again and take care out there!

-Brad

Comment

Don't know the specifics of your trouble, but my guy had surgery last year on his lower spine. He had to skip the recommended recovery and rehab to keep his job. He finally did the rehab, about 2 to 3 months later than he was supposed to-the therapist had him do basic movements, stretches-all of which hurt like hell. Nothing heavy or strenuous at all.

I asked what he needed to do at home-plain walking was the advice, both on the ground and in the pool. My guy does neither-and his back kills him constantly. You can't strengthen without some sort of exercise and routine, but he won't listen to me- (a guy thing ya know! )

I'm not trying to tell you what to do-you should get a professional's opinion since every one is different. Just sharing what my guy's going through.

Good Luck-hope you keep up the drive to get better and do!

Comment

Thank you It93lover, I appreciate your comments. I saw my DR today and he recommended me seeing a nutrionist and talking to my other Dr that does the procedures on my spine to see if he recommends me lifting upper body weights and aquatic exercises. If so, I hope to be in better shape sometime next year around this time. Thanks again.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by bgofast72
                If my spine it so messed up that I can not physically lift weights anymore or walk very far. What type of exercises can I do to get back in shape again after years of not being able? Thanks in advance for advice on this.

-Brad
                Brad,
                You need a professional physical therapist. This person will most likely refer you to a doctor to make sure you are ready for the physical therapy.

If you are young and generally healthy, you probably want to find a "sports" type physical therapist and not someone who spends most their time with old folks.

Good luck,
                I am not a doctor!!! But I think you should see one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobSlig
                  Brad,
                  You need a professional physical therapist. This person will most likely refer you to a doctor to make sure you are ready for the physical therapy.

If you are young and generally healthy, you probably want to find a "sports" type physical therapist and not someone who spends most their time with old folks.
                  I had a 40% compression fracture in my back last year, and although it didn't require surgery, my trunk was immobilized in a body brace (from chest to hips) and I had to wear the brace 24-7 for a couple of months.

The accident that caused the back injury (as well as 5 broken bones in my foot) happened in another state. When I was released from the hospital I was instructed to seek out an orthopedist close to home, and after seeing him for a couple of months he referred me to a physical therapist.

My long winded story with a point - your doctor (either family doc or possibly in your case, your surgeon) will generally refer you to a physical therapist (not the other way round).

I agree with Rob's observation re: trying to find a PT with a fitness/sports background though (mine was a runner who also did work with the local high school football team). They bring a totally different perspective to training than a PT working with a patient to improve their "quality of life" (ie. helping someone gain enough mobility and strength to allow them to carry their own groceries in from the car etc.).

Edited to ask a question (just curious - none of my business really) but bgofast, why was it suggested that you see a nutritionist?
                  Last edited by krj; 08-24-2005, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks krj, I appreciate your comments. I moved to Plano Texas in the middle of 2001 and started having problems with what I first thought was my back. I finally got a Doctor that found out it was my spine that was causeing my problems from my neck down to my tail bone. Before moving here, I worked at a Texas state hospital for almost 3 years working 11-7 shift. During that, I started eating bad and sleeping after I got home. I gained a lot of weight by doing so, so when I moved down here my now wife and I eat out all the time. Needles to say, I gained even more weight, so I need to eat right again for now until I can get my spine better enough to start excercising again to loose all that weight. Hope that anwers your curious question? Thank you again and take care.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by bgofast72
                      and talking to my other Dr that does the procedures on my spine -Brad
                      I missed this the first time I read your post Brad - what kind of doctor are you seeing, and what kind of procedures is he doing? And what exactly is the diagnosis re: your back?

Sorry to draw this out....that curiosity thing again. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

That is alright krj, I just don't know all the terminology word wise though for everything. I will just tell you in my words if I can. My neck is contured in the other direction, so I have neck pain all the time. My 1, 2 and part of my 3rd verterbra is fused together, I have bone spures in my tail bone, I have bulges and compressions in certain disks, I have arthritis in my spinal joints, and I have something were the nerves are exposed from the bottom of my shoulder blades to the middle or part of the slower spine. I think there is to much stuff to fix, so they want to do things that stop the pain and other problems I am having. I can not walk to far, sit to long, stand to long, lift, bend, and so on. The procedures they did were steroid injects in the lumbar region and injected me with something else in certain joint areas. I have a regular doctor, a pain care doctor, and a surgeon right now helping. I have been on so many pain killers and muscle relaxers since before I graduated high school in 1992 and nothing effects me. They all tell me that I should have been in pain most all of my life and don't know why It took so long before I was in constant pain. I am so glad though that I was able to not know what was wrong with me, so I could be a police officer for 4 years prior. Hope that answers your questions?

-Brad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5801 users online. 315 members and 5486 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X