300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help for PT ASAP

I just found out on Friday August 19 that the department I applied for on that same day has their physical on the 27th. In other words I have five full days to prepare for. I started trying to work on my push-ups as soon as I found but, things are not going well. It seems I lost all my upper body strength and am lucky to get 2 or 3 good pushups. The test is not that difficult and I'm sure all of you could pass it. But I feel so stupid that I can't get 13 pushups done in two minutes. So easy-should be anyway. So if there is anyway to build it up my strength in five days. I have a lot of free time and I am extremely determined. I believe there are only about 30 of us even applying. Hope this makes some sense. Please I really need help. Thanks.

Originally posted by frogdust
    I just found out on Friday August 19 that the department I applied for on that same day has their physical on the 27th. In other words I have five full days to prepare for. I started trying to work on my push-ups as soon as I found but, things are not going well. It seems I lost all my upper body strength and am lucky to get 2 or 3 good pushups. The test is not that difficult and I'm sure all of you could pass it. But I feel so stupid that I can't get 13 pushups done in two minutes. So easy-should be anyway. So if there is anyway to build it up my strength in five days. I have a lot of free time and I am extremely determined. I believe there are only about 30 of us even applying. Hope this makes some sense. Please I really need help. Thanks.
    Can you get stronger in 5 days? Absolutely not.

Can you improve your pushup technique enough to do more pushups at the same strength level? Absolutely.

And most importantly, in 5 days, you can overcome the phyiscal pain and/or psychological problem that causes you to quit after only 2 or 3 pushups.

Do you know any former Drill Instructors?
    *Not a cop*

Comment

It doesn't say in your profile if you're male or female, but it doesn't really matter - ANY 21 year old should be able to knock out 13 pushups in two minutes. Agree with Ismalibu on this - if you want it badly enough, get that mental barrier of 2-3 p/u out of your head.

What about the other components of the test? How's your running? Situps? Flexibility? Do you have to do an agility test? You're not going to be able to improve on ANY of these components in a few days.

The best that you are going to be able to do between now and then is:

1. get your head into a better place
      2. eat, drink and rest well
      3. do something (like light-moderate exercise) to relieve stress
      4. find out in what order the test components are (so you can go through a dry-run of the test, and try and figure out how to pace yourself enough to finish it)
      5. if you're not familiar with ways to warm-up appropriately for each test component ask back here. THAT we might be able to help you with.

Find out ahead of time what the repurcussions are if you fail any or all components of the test (ie. are you out of contention all together, can you redo the specific components that you failed, do you have to redo the whole test, timelines re: their policies etc)

No matter what happens with this specific test, start exercising regularly from this point on.

Bottom line - if you bust your *** working out too hard between now and your test, you ARE going to burn yourself out. You'll be sore, tired, possibly injured, and good for not-too-much. Do some light training of all test components, try to do a complete dry run of the whole test, and do the other things (1-5) listed above.

Comment

No unfortunately I do not know any former drill instructors. As for the rest of the test it consist of running a 1.5 mile in about 21 min., flexibility test, agility-30 feet going from start to finish, then zig zag around some cones and back-23 secs, and the pushups. The test is also 3 hours away at 9am. If I fail the test there is no retest and I would not move on with the department testing. Right now I don't do much exercise, most of the time I'm working at my restaurant job until late hours, need to make more time. Well going to those muscles. If anybody has ideas please send them this way.

Comment

No unfortunately I do not know any former drill instructors. As for the rest of the test it consist of running a 1.5 mile in about 21 min., flexibility test, agility-30 feet going from start to finish, then zig zag around some cones and back-23 secs, and the pushups. The test is also 3 hours away at 9am. If I fail the test there is no retest and I would not move on with the department testing. Right now I don't do much exercise, most of the time I'm working at my restaurant job until late hours, need to make more time. Well going to those muscles. If anybody has ideas please send them this way.
          Frog - the standards you have to meet are extremely lenient.

If you can't meet those standards, have not been exercising regularly in preparation for the test, and only have 5 more days to go before the test - what (realistically) do you think you will be able to accomplish this week, that's going to make a difference?

Comment

If you are not in any semblence of shape now you almost certainly won't be five days from now. Give me a break.

If you don't pass this time, my advice to you would be to start training for your next test NOW, rather then when you get the notice.

When you started applying were you unaware there would be a PT test?
            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

The other standards are the test are easy and I know I can pass those parts, it's just the pushups that are the problem. The other department I applied to gave a month before the physical test which gave me plenty of time to get back to decent conditioning and I passed that test. I guess from reading some of the other posts I thought most places had a longer period from when you apply to when the pt begins. So like you said I'm going to do start working now to prepare for the next test. Also this was a department I hadn't planned on applying to, but I saw they were looking for people and were closer to home. So I start training consistently now, at what point should I apply for other departments?

Comment

I have a lot of free time and I am extremely determined.

I will have to question your determination if you have done nothing to prepare up to this point. I don't think there is much you can do in 5 days. I would suggest sticking to a routine in the future to avoid this problem. Application processes are stressful enough without having to worry about passing the PT. Im not trying to sound like an a**hole so I hope you didn't interpret this message in that way.

Good luck.
                "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Originally posted by mattph4716
                  I will have to question your determination if you have done nothing to prepare up to this point. I don't think there is much you can do in 5 days. I would suggest sticking to a routine in the future to avoid this problem. Application processes are stressful enough without having to worry about passing the PT. Im not trying to sound like an a**hole so I hope you didn't interpret this message in that way.

Good luck.
                  Agreed. If your going to go into a physically stressful job like law enforcement, then its time to start a physical fitness program now, so that when the PT portions of the test come up, you can pass them, without the added mental barrier of "will I make it?"

Besides that, there's the advantages of being in shape, regardless of your profession. I have a cushy job where I sit on my butt all day, and I still exercise.
                  N. A. Corbier
                  Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                  Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Where are you testing for? Maine is very strict, I need to run a mile and a half in 13:36 to get in and 12:51 to graduate. Where oh where do they give you 21 minutes? And good luck with the push ups.
                    Harry

Comment

When I first started getting ready, I was lucky to do 5 push ups. I started to spend my days off sitting around my apt and over the course of the day, I'd do about 20 sets of pushups and use dumbbells for shoulders, back, chest, and biceps. Took about a month of that ontop of a high protein diet and creatine and I'm up to 33 pushups and down from 280 to 267 lbs.

All due respect, you should've started training earlier. If you dont pass, learn from it. Just start preparing for the next department that you apply to.

Comment

All I can say is good luck. You should have been preparing from the time you decided to enter Law Enforcement. Try doing this routine 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. I would rest the day before the test though. I know you only have five days but it does you no good to waist yourself the day before and then try to take the test. If you have been doing nothing, which it appears you have, then you will be very sore tomorrow. Eat a lot of Bananas and stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water the night before the test. Have a good pasta meal the night before. Keep a good positive mental attitude. I can't take the test for you but I can wish you luck.

Comment

So.... did you pass or what????

Comment

I decided not take the test knowing that I wouldn't pass it. While I would like to have gone and passed, I'm so glad I didn't cause that was the saturday before the storm and I wouldn't have been able to get back in town to get my dog or anything else. For now I'm going to build up my strength and then apply when I'm more physically ready.

Comment

God help the cop getting their face kicked in and calls a 13 and you show up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 339 members and 5987 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X