Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Think I Hate My Bike

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Think I Hate My Bike

    So I've been riding with cages the past couple of years, and decided to make the move to clipless pedals. Have just spent the last couple of hours in 100 degree weather, falling (while still attached to my bike). Still haven't made it out of the driveway - ha!

    I think I'm too old for this s**t. I think I'll be a better biker when I stop falling. Right now I think I just hate my bike.

    That is all.

  • #2
    Originally posted by krj
    So I've been riding with cages the past couple of years, and decided to make the move to clipless pedals. Have just spent the last couple of hours in 100 degree weather, falling (while still attached to my bike). Still haven't made it out of the driveway - ha!

    I think I'm too old for this s**t. I think I'll be a better biker when I stop falling. Right now I think I just hate my bike.

    That is all.
    Are you on a bike patrol or just for excercise? I would highly recommend using toe clips or saftey clips for foot retentin, in addition to being more safe, it also allows you to use full range of your leg muscles when pedaling. Use your muscles "all the way around" the pedal, not just on the down turn.

    Also in this heat drink plenty water. I can't stress this enough. Speant about 4 or 5 hours on my bike today at work and went through more than 6 liters of water. Also know how to utilize your gears. You want aerobic activeity, not anaerobic.

    Are you mountain biking or road biking? If you got any questions I'll help as best I can.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Centurion44
      I would highly recommend using toe clips or saftey clips for foot retentin, in addition to being more safe, it also allows you to use full range of your leg muscles when pedaling. Use your muscles "all the way around" the pedal, not just on the down turn.

      Are you mountain biking or road biking?
      That's actually what I'm talking about Centurion - they call them clipless pedals around here, even though you actually "clip in". Go figure.

      Do both road and mtn biking, but these babies are on my mountain bike. Anyway, I had blood running, and sweat pouring, but I finally got out of the freakin' driveway yesterday. Bring on the narly trails (OK, maybe not QUITE yet)!
      Last edited by krj; 08-21-2005, 08:05 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Samuel
        Clipless? Wow, fancy!
        Yeah, between the shoes and the clips, there's another 120 bucks down the drain.

        Comment


        • #5
          At least you fell in your driveway. I ended up on my *** at a busy intersection in town for all to see!!! Sucks to be me sometimes.
          Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm an occasional MTB'er, but clipless pedals are for the pros. I'v tried 'em on other people's bikes, and it was painful falling down with the bike still attached as you say. I couldn't get the hang of the twisting motion to get unlocked. I'll stick with the cages.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Groundhog
              I'm an occasional MTB'er, but clipless pedals are for the pros.
              I had a chance to see some of those pros in action about a month ago at a mountain bike race. I was "doing" the race, but these guys were "racing" the race.

              So I'm pushing my bike up this rocky, rooty, steep, slick hill on one of the trails, and these guys are on the return loop riding DOWN the same lousy hill. I had to get out of the way just so I wouldn't take one of 'em out, but I swear to God, these guys were gravity defying. There is just NO WAY anybody should have been able to ride that trail - especially on the downhill.

              Kinda reminded me of the bad guys in one of the Star Wars movies, on their air-cycles. Unreal. And totally fearless.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah. Don't worry, krj, there are 2 types of cyclists: Those that have crashed and those that will crash.

                My first endo was into the middle of a usually-busy street (I lucked out in that the redlight had just cycled and the road was pretty clear).

                Oh, the rule of cops endoing is this: Someone always sees your first. And mine was no exception.

                I also lost count on how many times I've fallen off my bike during our IPMBA class, too. Don't give up- if I can do it, anyone can.
                You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Centurion44
                  I also lost count on how many times I've fallen off my bike during our IPMBA class, too. Don't give up- if I can do it, anyone can.
                  During mine, the instrucutors had this little AFLAC duck on a hook. They hung it on your bike after a crash. Needless to say, you didn't have to keep it long before turning it over to somebody else.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Groundhog
                    During mine, the instrucutors had this little AFLAC duck on a hook. They hung it on your bike after a crash. Needless to say, you didn't have to keep it long before turning it over to somebody else.
                    ROFL! That's a great idea...
                    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      OK - I like my bike again.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can only ride with clipless. I've been riding with them for 7-8 years now and I can't keep my feet on flat pedals, and the toe strap things take me all day to get into. The speedplay clipless give you 15 degrees of foot rotation without popping out. Works great for me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I crashed mountain biking once and spent a few days in intensive care with a severe concusion and almost had permanent brain damage. For a day I thought I was 18 years old again and had no short term memory. I still mountain bike beleive it or not. I don't wear clips when mountain biking and now stay off the "expert" trails for the most part although every now and then....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've fallen many times but never anything too serious (although I'm starting to get a nice collection of permanent scars around my ankles and shins )

                            I know of a female adventure racer who banged into a tree when she fell asleep while riding her bike during a race.

                            I came across a young guy during a race who had banged head first into a tree while riding - had an obvious concussion. Happy as a lark, and loopy as hell - my team went on ahead and sent help back for him and his team.

                            A couple of races ago I was riding on the roads with my team at about 4am. The race had started at 7pm - so by 4 we had only been racing for 9 hours, but had been awake since 7 the day before (so had been up for almost 24 hours).

                            So I'm riding on the road and everythings' cool, and the next thing I knew I was heading straight for someone's mailbox. The thing is I don't remember veering off the road - so I literally stopped my bike and put my feet down and just stared at the mailbox for a couple of minutes, trying to figure out if I was asleep or awake ('cause I just wasn't sure).
                            Last edited by krj; 09-15-2005, 04:24 PM.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 4358 users online. 239 members and 4119 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X