300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn push-ups..

Hey guys, had my first hard day at the academy today doing pushups, as a group we only did about 20.. but each time we had to push up, we had to hold it for liek 30 seconds.. then they would make us stay in the down position for another 30.. damn my arm's felt like they were going to just give in. Other people in class were dropping like flies after a while so I did better than most, but I want to be able to to get through this w/out any problems..

so what do you say just do more and more push-ups? practice just holding my weight up? start to bench press? I'm 23 6'0 and weight 185 pounds so i'm not out of shape.. just never really use those muscles.

Originally posted by dvsmnstr
    Hey guys, had my first hard day at the academy today doing pushups, as a group we only did about 20.. but each time we had to push up, we had to hold it for liek 30 seconds.. then they would make us stay in the down position for another 30.. damn my arm's felt like they were going to just give in. Other people in class were dropping like flies after a while so I did better than most, but I want to be able to to get through this w/out any problems..

so what do you say just do more and more push-ups? practice just holding my weight up? start to bench press? I'm 23 6'0 and weight 185 pounds so i'm not out of shape.. just never really use those muscles.
    Do they have you guys do arm rotations?

On the push ups I would try benching about 60% of my weight on a smith machine and hold on the down and up that way. Others may disagree or have better ideas but this is what I have been doing.
    Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

I'm thinking that if you are going through the academy you don't have a lot of extra time to spend in the gym. If thats the case I would stick to pushups.
      Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

ok brother, im in your position as well...
        however we were in the front lean and rest position for a minute...
        everytime someone put their *** in the air we held it for another 20 seconds or so...
        it was pathetic in my opinion... but hey... i dont want to get onto this subject of classmates that are not fit enough for this academy and make us prepared folks pay hard...
        oh well, i dont mind being paid to work out so whatever...

also my goal is 100 pushups to failure in 2 minutes time before the end of the academy, im currently at 64 in about a minute and 20 seconds, i could have pushed it further to 70, but i didnt want to kill myself because we still had a 1.5mile run to attack.

some pushup advice: do pyramid sets of pushups...
        for instance here is your pyramid

so basically i looks like this.
        Set/Step 1: 1 pullups/2 pushups/3 situps
        Set/Step 2: 2 pullups/4 pushups/6 situps
        Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Your first few set are basically a warmup)
        Set/Step 4: 4 pullups/8 pushups/12 situps
        Set/Step 5: 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 situps
        Set/Step 6: 6 pullups/12 pushups/18 situps (Here is where you may fail/max out)

then start going back down the pyramid...
        Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Finish cool down)

make sense?

Comment

makes sense to me, thanks! I'm going to start and work on that every weekend. I'm a month in and can already see a difference in myself though.. I can bang out 50 pushups in a minute, but when they make us hold our body up for 30-45 seconds (seems like hours) for just 1 pushup it sucks

Originally posted by VAsteve20
          ok brother, im in your position as well...
          however we were in the front lean and rest position for a minute...
          everytime someone put their *** in the air we held it for another 20 seconds or so...
          it was pathetic in my opinion... but hey... i dont want to get onto this subject of classmates that are not fit enough for this academy and make us prepared folks pay hard...
          oh well, i dont mind being paid to work out so whatever...

also my goal is 100 pushups to failure in 2 minutes time before the end of the academy, im currently at 64 in about a minute and 20 seconds, i could have pushed it further to 70, but i didnt want to kill myself because we still had a 1.5mile run to attack.

some pushup advice: do pyramid sets of pushups...
          for instance here is your pyramid

so basically i looks like this.
          Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Your first few set are basically a warmup)
          Set/Step 6: 6 pullups/12 pushups/18 situps (Here is where you may fail/max out)

then start going back down the pyramid...
          Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Finish cool down)

make sense?

Comment

llllllllll
            Last edited by VAsteve20; 11-17-2005, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VAsteve20
              hell our academy is the toughest in the state behind the VSP's from what i here (physically)
              lol, I have heard that same line.. who know's if it's true or not. I'm just curious how many hours are you putting in for PT? My class is approximately 85 hours. I have a big class 53 people, the biggest class in the academy history.. we are down to 50 now

oh yea, good heads up with the pyramid exercises they actually went over that last night with some of the guys.

Comment

llllllllllllllllll
                Last edited by VAsteve20; 11-17-2005, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I started working out with a trainer this past summer to speed my fitness. Push ups were a big thing I needed help with. My trainer did some research and found a NASA (yeah... astronauts... don't laugh!!) fitness program for push up performance it goes like this:
                  Day 1- 10 push ups every hour for ten hours
                  Day 2- 11 every hour " "
                  Day 3- 12 " "
                  13 " "
                  14 " "
                  REST DAY
                  15 " "
                  After day fifteen you start to cut time
                  15 Push Ups every 45 minutes for ten sets
                  16 Push Ups " "
                  Continue to add reps, and decrease recovery time...

It sounds kind of crazy and inconvienient, but it really helped me out. It is a huge mental boost as well when you think " wow I did 150, or 170 Push ups today". And the routine isnt bad... ten push ups takes less than 30 seconds... you can drop anywhere and rip a set!!!

Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3920 users online. 231 members and 3689 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X